Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ghostmech I have decided t o go with the Axiom .... - 02/27/09 12:48 AM
Epic 80 HT 7.2 system. First, thanks to those who answered my previous post.

Got two more questions:

Will my Onkyo TX-NR905 be ok with this system or will I need to drive the fronts with another amp?

I noticed the system uses 4 QS8 v2 speakers (2 side, 2 rear). Wouldn't th rears be better with M22 V2 (bookshelf) speakers than the QS8s or should the QS8s be used instead?

TIA
Whether your Onkyo will work will depend on trying it first. Later if your unhappy, you can always get a different receiver or external amp. Some older Onkyos had issues driving the 4ohm m80's, but I think the newer models are more capatible.

Qs8's are the best surrounds available, compared to bookshelf speakers. The point of surrounds is to wrap you in the experience, bookshelfs are more for if your in the sweet spot. Some who listen to multi channel music, prefer a bookshelf for the rears.

Also, depending on how big your room is will determine if you even need 7 speakers, it may be a waste.
I haven't personally compared direct with bipole/dipole speakers for the back surrounds in a 7.1 system, but the common opinion is, as you suggest, that direct firing speakers are more appropriate. So I'd think about M22 or (perhaps better) M2.
The Qs8's are not bi/dipole speakers, they are quadpolar with 4 drivers in phase. More music it is a more common opinion, not for HT applications. I listen to a lot of multi music listening, my 4 Q's fit the bill.
I used to use m22's as my surrounds. And I defended that choice because I sometimes listen to multi-channel SACD's, and the M22's are more 'proper' for that sort of thing.

Then I broke down and bought QS8's. Unsurprisingly, they're considerably better for movies than the M22's. But to my surprise, I also prefer them for multichannel music.

Stick with the 4 QS8's. They are *amazing* speakers.
Posted By: dewd Re: I have decided t o go with the Axiom .... - 02/27/09 04:01 AM
The 905 should have no problem at all. It is next to the top of the line (before you go to Integra).
If I had a room big enough for 7.1 (or 7.2) I'd go with four QS8's... But that is because I use the room for 99% home theater, and in that case I think that I would want as much of an enveloping sound to my sides and rear as possible. Then again I just did a quick Google search and there doesn't seem to be an exact right or wrong answer. Lots of variables including "personal preference" which right there says that the only real thing that matters is what sounds right to you.
Posted By: grunt Re: I have decided t o go with the Axiom .... - 02/27/09 10:25 AM
I have both M22s and QS8s and tried both as rear speakers and preferred the QS8s for all uses movies, gaming and music. They are uncanny in their ability to provide either ambient enveloping sound or directional cues depending on what’s needed. The M22s provided the directionality but not as much ambiance. However, with the limited room I had to experiment I found that the further back the M22 rears were the better job they did and if far enough back might actually perform better than the QS8s as rear speakers but won’t be able to confirm that until I close on a house in a few weeks.

While some music, Dark Side of the Moon SACD comes to mind, are mixed to have sound coming from all directions at times, most multi-channel stuff I’ve found uses the surrounds and rears to recreate the ambient sounds of the venue and that’s where the QS8s beat the M22s easily in my opinion.

You could always order a pair of M22s and see which you like best. I think return shipping is only about $30 for a pair of them. You could call Axiom and check it out. But be careful that was my intent to test which was best and ship back the looser, however, the M22s sounded so good as mains I just had to keep them for a second zone.

Cheers,
Dean
I suppose this going against the "book" of home theater but when it comes to L/R surround applications I use BOTH the QS8's AND M22's(4 speakers). This is in addition to two rear surround speakers. As long as they are balanced you get the best of both worlds. I found after I had this configuration for awhile that if I disconnected either set for comparison purposes, it just wasn't as good.
Posted By: Zimm Re: I have decided t o go with the Axiom .... - 02/27/09 05:32 PM
What's that, a 9.1 system. Sweet.
© Axiom Message Boards