Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Argon Too Much Forum Time - 03/23/09 04:51 PM
Another question - I searched and did not find a thread - When I do purchase, I will have the system in the room over the garage with the knee walls and then sloped walls. Does anyone have QS8's mounted to a sloped wall? Any ideas on whether the Axiom bracket would work?

Separate topic - I finally got my wife to talk about the Speaker Purchase this weekend. It is really kinda funny because every time we talk about spending $3000 on speakers she drops into "defensive - belligerent" mode and the conversation is, well......nonproductive. However, this time we got a little further along and actually talked about finishes. Her take is to just go with Black as that can fit into any decor. SO.....I continue to sweat out the purchase decision - I told her I had pm'd one of the regulars about doing the veneer project myself - she just dismissed that with a wave and went back to working her NCAA bracket.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/23/09 09:46 PM
ouch, that hurts. I she craft oriented? She could help with the veneer. (I sent you a more serious and detailed PM on the veneer issue.)
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:15 PM
Ok....so I am going to figure that no one has mounted QS8's to a sloped wall? Ceiling is not an option as the Ceiling starts about 3 feet in front of the listening position due to the angled wall....
Posted By: Zimm Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:17 PM
I have not seen that setup, but don't know that it would not work. See if you can get Alan to respond, he is probably the best shot if someone at Axiom can't answer this. I would think it has come up.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:32 PM
I'm a little dubious about using the T-bracket. It's probably just fine, but it is designed for the force to be fully vertical. Using it for an angled installation might impose forces it is not designed to tolerate.

I think the BEST approach would be to use the Axiom full-metal ceiling bracket, which I believe will allow you almost infinite adjustment between the angle of the ceiling (or the sloped walls, in this case) and the speaker.
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:49 PM
Alan,
To Zimm's point - do you have any thoughts on the FMB?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:50 PM
Argon, I don't think that Alan regularly monitors every thread, so your best bet would be to call Axiom on the telephone.

Here's the product link Full Metal Ceiling Bracket
Posted By: Adrian Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:56 PM
Argon, can you make a wooden bracket(plate or T-shape) with the same angle as your wall to bring things back to vertical, then attach the supplied T-bracket to it?
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 04:58 PM
Tom,
I had looked at that in the past and forgotten about it - all before we decided to have the set up in our Bonus Room. That looks like it would work. I could use the rotating joint to match the slope of the wall and lock the swivel in place as well - If I understand the design......
Posted By: Zimm Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 07:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'm a little dubious about using the T-bracket.

I second the Squirrel. [Damn, that's twice today!] I don't know that they are designed to hold in the way you are thinking. I'll go so far as to say I think it is bad idea. The lip it sits on is small, you could have a heavy sharp speaker giving more life to your movie than your want.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 07:16 PM
...it was moved by the drinking squirrel and seconded by the chain-smoking infant that use of the T-Bracket for this installation is not recommended. Discussion?
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 07:18 PM
I think the BEST approach would be to use the Axiom full-metal ceiling bracket, which I believe will allow you almost infinite adjustment between the angle of the ceiling (or the sloped walls, in this case) and the speaker.

+1.

I can almost guarantee that FMB's will be Axiom's suggestion. The QS8's are pretty heavy speakers. They need to be securely fastened to the wall, whatever that wall may be. I wouldn't trust the built-in T-brackets on an angle. Just too much to chance. Really, just email Axiom. They will know. The great Alan himself will probably respond within a day or so. ;\)

There's a good thread about marital-bliss and home theater in the Water Cooler area... http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=252047#Post252047

;\)
Posted By: Zimm Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 07:59 PM
...it was moved by the drinking squirrel and seconded by the chain-smoking infant that use of the T-Bracket for this installation is not recommended. Discussion?

Who could argue with this dynamic duo?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/24/09 09:35 PM
it is designed for the force to be fully vertical.

Use the force, Argon.

Use The Force!
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/25/09 02:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
it is designed for the force to be fully vertical.

Use the force, Argon.

Use The Force!

I am NOT afraid of the dark side............besides the FMB is a lot cheaper than the FMS Stands
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/27/09 02:09 AM
It is probably obvious by the number and tenor of my posts that I am really sweating this out as I am getting close to pulling the trigger......I e-mailed Axiom last night and Jean-Claude answered. You can no longer take the cost of samples off your purchase of speakers but you can obtain a full credit to your credit card if you return the samples. So....the samples that I am considering asking for in Custom Vinyl are "Warm Cherry", "Sorrel Pear", "Cinnamon Beech" and maybe "Classic Oak". Probably do a spread on Grill cloth of Black, Charcoal, Burnt Sienna, and maybe Warm Tan. If anyone can post their pics of those finishes or direct me to already posted pics, it may (not) alleviate my sweatiness....
Posted By: Zimm Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/27/09 03:48 PM
Have you searched the gallery? I find those pics are often better than the Axiom website pics.
Posted By: Argon Re: Too Much Forum Time - 03/27/09 09:10 PM
I have but I am not always sure what finish I am seeing. That is what I was getting at with the line about directing me to the pics. To steal from John Torturo in "Mr. Deeds" - "Perhaps you underestimate my sweatiness"....so to speak
© Axiom Message Boards