Axiom Home Page
Posted By: starkiller Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/12/09 05:14 AM
didnt see anything when i did a search about this so thought i would i would start a thread \:\) is there a break-in needed on the M3's?? they sounded really nice when i first got them, played all kinds of stuff and they sounded good. friend brought over his jm labs bookshelf speakers and wow! the difference was like night and day. the m3's sounded dull, lifeless and bleah...the jm labs were fiery, forward and alive. since then i have read about various other brands of speakers needing a break in period.

so, what's the scoop??
Posted By: JohnK Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/12/09 05:34 AM
Killer, the scoop is that tweeters cycle thousands of times and woofers hundreds of times in the very first second of operation. Any permanent change occurs very quickly, most likely in testing before the speakers leave the factory.

It may be, if the rather extravagant "night and day" language represents your actual listening impressions, that you simply prefer the sound of the JM Labs speakers to that of the M3s.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/12/09 12:17 PM
There is no break in period for any speakers, period.
Posted By: starkiller Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/12/09 06:00 PM
hmm, and my 30 days are up \:\(
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/12/09 06:11 PM
A lot depends on your placement of speakers, room characteristics, etc. Are you not happy with what your hearing? You could still call Axiom, they might give you options for upgrading. Most are very happy with the M3's.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/17/09 07:53 AM
M22's sound more like your cup of joe.
Posted By: grunt Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/17/09 09:17 AM
If Axiom is still running an upgrade programme perhaps you could upgrade to M22s as suggested. I directly compared some Focals (JMlab) to my M80s and the sounded very similar and the M22s sound very similar to the M80s minus the bass. Might want to contact Axiom and see if you can work something out.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/18/09 09:27 AM
I will also suggest upgrading to M22's. I find M3's to sound dull/muted when compared to M22's. Give Axiom a call and see if they can help you out, I bet they will if you are not too far past the 30 days.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/18/09 11:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I will also suggest upgrading to M22's. I find M3's to sound dull/muted when compared to M22's. Give Axiom a call and see if they can help you out, I bet they will if you are not too far past the 30 days.

Is it possible to add a resistor to the tweeter like what people have done in the past with the M60's or M80's but in this case using the appropriate resistor with the M3's that would increase the tweeter output? If so would this help add more detail or forwardness that he is looking for?
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/19/09 02:00 AM

Adding a resistor would tame the tweeter to some degree depending on the resistor, not make it more 'detailed' or 'forward'.

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/19/09 02:05 AM
I was under the impression there were different value resistors available that can be used on the tweeter with the M60's and M80's that will either decrease or increase tweeter output by a db or so.
Posted By: fredk Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/19/09 02:33 AM
Resistors are futile! You ar our BiGWyRS.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/19/09 04:18 AM
BigWyres has been busy working on a few research proposals for the Deaf Monk. Needs his input and approval before he can present them on the Axiom forums.
Posted By: Murph Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/19/09 06:15 PM
::wishes he had time for another cartoon this is inspiring.::
Posted By: vadergeta Re: Break-in needed on M3's? - 06/22/09 06:39 AM
I say try the M22's. Then compare those to your friends speakers. If you still don't like them then I guess you need to switch brands. 'sigh' that will be sad though, but hey it's all about your opinion.
© Axiom Message Boards