Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Roidefromage Subwoofer advice sought - 06/14/09 03:26 PM
Hello Axiomites!

So, my Paradigm sub finally bit the dust, and i need to replace it. As you can see from my signature I already have an Axiom 350 as part of my set-up. Unfortunately I am a bottom end freak and love what 2 subs do for my sound experience. I want to add another, but can't swing $700 for another 350. What do you guys think of the EP125? How would it compare to a Velodyne impact 10 or perhaps a lower end Energy ESW 10? I'd love to stay loyal to Axiom ( I REALLY LOVE my M80s!!!) but money is tight...

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/14/09 03:41 PM

What about something like this.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/14/09 03:46 PM
I like the prices on those eD subs. Rick, have you heard any of those subs in person? I'm interested to know how they perform. I know they seem well-regarded on other forums.
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/14/09 04:32 PM

No not yet but I will buy one if and when one of my Hsu subs ever go out.
Posted By: Roidefromage Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/16/09 02:21 PM
How do you folks feel about adding the EP125 to the EP350? will the larger one overwhelm the smaller one and make it sound out of balance?
Posted By: Foobarred Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/23/09 04:15 PM
The Axiom subs are great but I also highly recommend the SVS subwoofers. Amazing bang for the buck if you can spare the space (they are big and HEAVY).

http://www.svsound.com

I've got a PB12-NSD ($569) paired with a Velodyne MiniVee and they create a 2-3 on the richter scale in my 3300 cu.ft. HT during movies. I find the sealed MiniVee is more musical than the ported SVS so during 2-channel music I run the MiniVee with the SVS turned off.

I realized I got where I needed to be movie-wise when my drink on the end table was pulsating like the cup of water on the dashboard in the Jurassic Park T-Rex scene. :-)

Another recommendation: get an isolation pad. I'm using the Auralex Great Gramma. Helps the sound a lot in a few ways. it reduces contact resonance between the sub and the floor. That in turn reduces rattling and also allows me to turn up the sub since it doesn't resonate through the floor to the bedrooms downstairs as much. I've got both subs on Auralex pads on top of carpeting with an 8 lbs carpet pad, and I can watch movies at reference levels at 2am without disturbing anyone.
Posted By: Murph Re: Subwoofer advice sought - 06/23/09 04:36 PM
The floor might be isolated from direct vibration but considering the sound waves themselves in LFE ability to radiate in all directions and pass through some pretty thick obstacles, what is more likely is that you just can't hear them angrily banging on their ceiling or walls.
;\)
© Axiom Message Boards