Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rao How do the Axiom speakers compare with Emotivas? - 07/30/09 08:40 PM
I just got a full set of Emotiva speakers, the ERT-8.3, the ERM-6.3s and the ERDs. I have been largely listening to the 8.3s in stereo mode and enjoying them.

I will be coming up to the end of my 30 day trial period in another week or so. I recently came across Axiom speakers. The Epic 80 500 package seems to be interesting.

Any thoughts on which may be better? My listening area will be the family room of a typical large home. I was considering the Paradigm Studio 100s before I came across Emotiva and decided to try them out. I think for the price difference, I am going to stay with the Emotivas unless folks here think I should try out the Axioms as well.

I am driving my speakers with an Emotiva XPA-5 (fantastic) and an Onkyo SC886 pre-amp (very nice).

Thanks for your inputs.
Hi Rao, welcome. I'm sorry I haven't heard the Emotiva line of speakers before so I can't comment on them, however, if you need an idea of what Axiom speakers sound like, many of us who have heard the Paradigm Studios felt they were similar in character(excellent bass, very detailed, plenty powerfull). If you are able to hear some Studio 100s, they are sonically similar to M80s, in my opinion(as well other forum members), but at a lower entry fee. Hopefully someone here has heard the Emotivas, but if you were to try out the Epic 80/500 I'm sure you'll be blown away by it.
+1 I found the M80s sound pretty much like the Studio 100, though I didn't do a direct A/B comparison. There are a couple of members here who have done a direct A/B comparison that felt the same.

I don't know of anyone who has listened to both.
This link posted by f1nels in another thread may interest you.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=off&action=display&thread=5370&page=8

You might want to post your question in that thread in the Emotiva forum since some people seem to have at least compared the mains.

I have an Axiom Epic 80 500 system and couldn’t be happier. However, unless there is something about the Emotivas you don’t like I’m inclined to say you should just stick with them.
Axiom has been a leading speaker manufacturer for 30 some years. Emotiva just started making speakers, only time will tell. Their amps have been so-so, so hopefully that is no indication.
Quack says it all, Axiom have been making speakers for 30 years, Emotiva only a couple years. Something has to be said for experience and years and years of QC.
Bose had been making speakers for over 40 years. \:o
Some business models have more staying power than others.
Grunt, looks like you skipped over my "QC" comment.
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
Grunt, looks like you skipped over my "QC" comment.

QC is extremely important especially when manufacturing overseas. What I find impressive is that the big kahuna of Axiom oversees QC abroad. I believe Emotiva went through a rough patch years ago with a few products during the period they had business relations with 123. Since these 2 companies split it seems Emotiva has been putting out good quality amps at budget prices. I can't say much about their speakers though. They have recieved good 3rd party reviews just like Axioms.
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Bose had been making speakers for over 40 years. \:o

I would imagine Bose has a very strict quality control program set in their manufacuturing facility. Its not to often you know somone who owns Bose products talk about them being defective. The problem with Bose is that their business model relies on investing heavily into advertising, something they have mastered and have been very succesful with, rather than focusing on product development. I am sure Bose has some very talented engineers on their payroll, I wonder what they do all day?
Way back in the day, I bought an Acoustimass 10 system from Bose. It started to rattle after about 2 months, and they were very good in replacing the defective "sub-woofer" driver. I have also had problems with my EP800s (because I bought them as prototypes), and Axiom was excellent in sending replacements out.

Now, excellent customer service aside in this comparison, the difference between the two companies in my opinion is that the Axioms sound FAR better than the Bose.

Also, it's the intangibles. When I wanted to upgrade my EP500s to EP800s, Axioms was there and gave me a VERY generous credit. When I hosted an audition for Micah, and he bought his system, Axiom sent me a couple of Franklins my way in credit. This is above and beyond what a company has to do, and again, it's why I will never buy another brand of speaker.
Great post SRoode and I fully agree with your thoughts. Axiom delivers in all areas. They are a wonderful company.
Ah feeel the love!! ;\)

It would be interesting to be able to compare the Emotivas to something from Axiom. The Emotivas do get very good reviews.
© Axiom Message Boards