Axiom Home Page
Posted By: zero002021 Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 05:41 PM
I'm having trouble with the QS8's. It turns out there aren't any studs in the ceiling where I am trying to hang them (using the Full Metal Ceiling Bracket from Axiom).

I tried to hang one of the QS8's regardless, to see if it would hold. It didn't feel secure, and wiggling the speaker caused it to come out of the ceiling.

The room is kind of awkward, and ceiling mounting is my only option. I can't hang them on the wall or put them on stands.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can securely hang the QS8's? I'll take some pictures of the space and post them here shortly to give you all a better idea of what I'm trying to work with.
Posted By: zero002021 Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 06:14 PM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 06:16 PM
What I'd do in your case is attach a piece of wood (1" thick, edges rounded off with a router, and painted to match the ceiling) across two studs/joists in your ceiling so that it intersects your desired mounting location. Do this for each mounting location and then attach the brackets to the wood.

EDIT: After seeing your pictures, it seems you wouldn't even have to route the edges. Just cut the wood to fit between the rear wall and the existing beam. Depending on where the joists are, the wood may need to be rather wide.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 06:29 PM
Just curious why you can't mount to a wall position, looking at the pics there should be studs close to the locations where the wires are coming out?
Posted By: CV Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 06:31 PM
He's trying to utilize the Full Metal Ceiling Brackets?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/02/09 09:06 PM
Two words.... Toggle bolts!

I've used them for v2.0 and v3.0 of my theater, and they work great!

Posted By: Adrian Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/03/09 12:03 AM
No studs(joists) in the ceiling? what's holding the floor and the drywall up? did you use a stud finder?
Posted By: rage96 Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/03/09 06:46 AM

Use this and a sheet of wood, glue wood to wall screw speakers to the wood, it may work. It can hold up to 50lbs
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/03/09 01:13 PM
Could you find a smaller pic, please? ;\)
Posted By: dewd Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/03/09 03:31 PM
Alright, if you really need a stud I guess I can fly up to Boston this weekend. But we'll still have to find a solid place on your wall to hang the speakers.
Posted By: zero002021 Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 04:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
No studs(joists) in the ceiling? what's holding the floor and the drywall up? did you use a stud finder?

The room is in a basement, recessed ceiling. I have no idea what was done during construction (it was part of an addition), but I couldn't find a stud anywhere near where I was trying to ceiling mount the QS8's.

I originally didn't want to mount the QS8's on the back wall because I was worried that they wouldn't sound good. However, I decided to try it anyway when I wasn't having success with hanging them on the ceiling. They sound surprisingly good, even though they are against the back wall as opposed to facing the listening area.

Nick, thanks for the tip about the Toggle Bolts. I'll have to try hanging the QS8's from the ceiling again when I've got the time.

Here are some pictures of the final results. Sorry about the low quality, they are camera phone pictures (I didn't feel like taking out the Canon).

Posted By: richeydog Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:10 AM
Is it just me...or am I seeing one big ass couch?
Posted By: zero002021 Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:14 AM
You're seeing it right. It's a custom bench that was put in during construction. It's 150" wide, seats 6 people comfortably, and can seat up to 8 if everyone squeezes together.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: zero002021
They sound surprisingly good, even though they are against the back wall as opposed to facing the listening area.

I believe the QS8s are infused with pixie dust that makes them sound great no matter where you put them. \:\)
Posted By: richeydog Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:27 AM
You're seeing it right. It's a custom bench that was put in during construction. It's 150" wide, seats 6 people comfortably, and can seat up to 8 if everyone squeezes together.

Very nice. \:\)

Posted By: CV Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:29 AM
I agree. I love a long bench.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 05:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
I agree. I love a long bench.

You and a female partner could lie down and not touch each other...

Posted By: CV Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 06:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: richeydog

Hey, yeah, I probably wouldn't even be in violation of my restraining orders.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/05/09 07:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: richeydog

Well, THAT's no fun!
Posted By: Frraksurred Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 08/14/09 12:56 PM
Nevermind, question answered.
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: Hanging QS8's without a stud? - 09/08/09 12:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
They sound surprisingly good, even though they are against the back wall as opposed to facing the listening area.

I believe the QS8s are infused with pixie dust that makes them sound great no matter where you put them. \:\)

Obviously Axiom has a dark magic user in their production facility who enchants each QS8...most likely a death eater.
© Axiom Message Boards