Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 Projector or LCD - 09/24/09 07:58 PM
I have been looking at getting a projector but before I do I have a few questions. Right now I have a 42" LCD in the living room and I use it mostly, 40% movies, 40% Internet (HTPC) and 20% Xbox.

All most half the time will be spent on the internet, would it be worth it , bulbs, ect. or should I just get a good LCD. Is there a projector that is good for such a use(long bulb life)? I'm willing to spend tops 4K CAD.

Thanks for you help

-----------------------
Epic Grand Master - 500
ONKYO 806
42" Sharp Aquos
HTPC
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Projector or LCD - 09/24/09 09:37 PM
I've had my Sanyo Z2 projector for 6 years now and haven't had to replace a bulb, at about $250 would not be a big deal anyway. I would never go back to a an LCD or Plasma for my HT, even in the 50+ " range over my 120" wide screen. It is also used a lot for cruising the internet via my HTPC, listening to only music at the same time as cruising the forums.
Posted By: fredk Re: Projector or LCD - 09/24/09 10:57 PM
What Sirduck wrote:
 Quote:
listening to only music at the same time as cruising the forums

What Fred read:
 Quote:
listening to only music at the same time as cursing the forums

;\)
Posted By: Zimm Re: Projector or LCD - 09/26/09 02:57 PM
I have to agree that after a few months with a 120" image, going back to 50" is just not an option. Maybe, if pressed down to an 80"-ish image I might go with the easier technology of a panel, but man, the immersion of huge screen is worth the effort needed to make it look good - light control, etc.
Posted By: grunt Re: Projector or LCD - 09/26/09 06:57 PM
I haven’t bought my projector and screen yet waiting to see if getting a new model or a discounted old model is going to be better. But we do have a projector and screen at work. It’s much more immersive for movies but where it really shines IMO is for games. The big screen just sucks you right into the game. Also works great for split screen like “Call of Duty.” Each player ends up with the equivalent of their own HDTV sized screen section.

For general computer use the big screen farther away is great if you are getting far sighted like me. I’m still on the fence about using it for day-to-day internet surfing since my display is on for one reason or another for at least 10 hour a day and I also like more ambient light what not watching movies/TV or playing games.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Projector or LCD - 09/29/09 10:29 PM
Funny you mention games; last night my wife decided to take a drive on Dirt 2 after getting tired of watching me. After many wrecks and spins, she got up and was qeezy from her complete visual field being consumed with moving images - just like those dome movies that make you feel like you are riding the jet or rollercoaster. You can't beat a TV that makes my wife feel the way i feel when she drives in reality!

You could use it for Internet stuff, but you will burn up lamps pretty fast. Mine are about $400 so I'm not going to surf the web with it - but I already have 500 hours after just 3 months from movies, football, and games!
© Axiom Message Boards