Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade Speakers with no grills. - 10/16/09 11:20 PM
Has any one ordered speakers without grills? I do not want the holes where the grills are inserted to "deface" the look of my speakers.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/16/09 11:22 PM
I keep hoping Axioms v3 speakers will have Magnetic grills, which would eliminate the holes. \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/16/09 11:37 PM
I'm sure Axiom could accommodate such a request. Call them.
Posted By: HAY Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 01:54 AM
I remember reading that they would make them custom with no grills....give them a call. I'll look for the thread ;\)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 02:09 AM
In my fantasies, after I have a full Axiom 7.1 system, I'd "upgrade" each of the speaker to high-gloss black. If I could have high-gloss black with no holes...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 02:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I keep hoping Axioms v3 speakers will have Magnetic grills, which would eliminate the holes. \:\)

The Axiom Accent M0 have magnetic grilles
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 02:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lampshade
Has any one ordered speakers without grills? I do not want the holes where the grills are inserted to "deface" the look of my speakers.

If you talked to axiom about this I am sure they can accomodate your request.
Posted By: HAY Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 02:23 AM
Here's a post from Ian on no grills, but he mentions on the Vassallo Series as they're custom made...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11770&Number=160030#Post160030
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 02:47 AM
What effect, if any, would the grills on/off make to the higher fq's?

I've wondered about when a speaker designer worries about baffle difraction, using radius' or angles on the leading edges of the baffle face, but then places a grill/grill frame over it. Wouldn't the frame on the grill negate the use of the applied radius/angle on the baffle?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 03:16 AM
The difference with grilles on or off is negligible, as determined by Axiom's own double-blind testing.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 03:31 AM
What I like about Axiom's grilles......is that the drivers fire thru the "cloth" part only.
Many speakers I looked at, (like Klipsch) fire thru an array of plastic bracing, in addition to the grille material.
This does not seem like a good idea to me.
Axioms do look nice without their grilles......but, mine stay on.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 09:24 AM
Mine too, at least till my kids go away to college!

paul
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/17/09 10:36 AM
Hay: thank you.

I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I want a pair of M80s in high gloss orange. I might have to settle on a pair of M3s. I saw the picture of the M3 in orange and I was instantly hooked.
Posted By: HAY Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 12:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lampshade
Hay: thank you.

I am not sure if I will be able to do it but I want a pair of M80s in high gloss orange. I might have to settle on a pair of M3s. I saw the picture of the M3 in orange and I was instantly hooked.

No problem, I could only find this Orange M3...do you have a picture of the one you saw?

Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 02:05 AM
Funny!

Go to Products, choose M3. Then select Photos. It is towards the end. Looks very similar to the BMW.

I was hoping high gloss orange M80s would make me famous on the forums, but I don't think I can afford them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 02:52 AM
Oh, those are awesome.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 03:14 AM
I may do the unthinkable and put them on a credit card.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 03:28 AM
I have to admit, when I read you were thinking about getting some orange M80s, I thought perhaps you were into the phsycadelic vitamins, Lamp. But after checking out that orange M3, car and speaker(LOL), WOW!! Who woulda thought?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 04:05 AM
I like the gloss blue ones, too. I've only seen that on Audiobyte pics, though.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 04:24 AM
They are the same price as the piano black high gloss. I would definitely get them but I just got a stupid co pay for $1000 dollars. I reaalllly want them though.
Posted By: HAY Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 05:43 PM
Wow they are really nice, but for a tower speaker it may be a little much...

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 05:44 PM
Depends on the room. I think glossy orange tower speakers would look fantastic in a large room with the right decor.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 06:44 PM
Those look pretty sharp. Is that black trim around the top? If so, I like it and it breaks up the orangeness gives it some character.

CV should get these for his Negative Orange Room.
Posted By: CV Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 07:09 PM
\:\) I do like them.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/18/09 07:09 PM
That high gloss orange is the shiznittle bam snip snap sack!
Posted By: Zimm Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 05:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Depends on the room. I think glossy orange tower speakers would look fantastic in a large room with the right decor.

Yep, in the right room a great wood finish would just look out of place. This under a Picasso would look very cool. Heck, there are many exotic speakers that come in custom car paint colors. E.g.:

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 05:48 PM
Mainly because people who can afford monsters like that can afford interior decorators.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 05:56 PM
What, your HT does not nave a stream running through it? Wow, they let anybody in here...

By the way, my addiction to this stuff started when I heard a pair of Wilson speakers like these (but different model, WATT Puppies I think). Still searching for that first "hit" again. My speakers are nice, but wow that was a religious experience.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 06:01 PM
They're still hideous.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 06:19 PM
Well, at best, they are unique in a world of wood and MDF. But they do sound great.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/20/09 06:31 PM
I would decorate them to look like the pill bugs in " A Bug's Life" from Pixar.
Posted By: Crimson Wrath Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/21/09 04:49 AM
I requested earlier today to have no grill holes made into my vp150 center on my Cherry Chestnut VaSSallo, and they were willing to accommodate. Wish I had this done with my M60s \:\( Not sure I would want this on the QS8s though; I think the grills look more appropriate than without on those maybe.
Posted By: HAY Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/21/09 01:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: Zimm

They look like Optimus Prime's legs....
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Speakers with no grills. - 10/21/09 02:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Crimsonwrath
I requested earlier today to have no grill holes made into my vp150 center on my Cherry Chestnut VaSSallo, and they were willing to accommodate. Wish I had this done with my M60s \:\( Not sure I would want this on the QS8s though; I think the grills look more appropriate than without on those maybe.

I have top and bottom grills on my QS8s, but the tweeter grills are off. The grills have the most affect on the high frequencies anyway.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/15/09 05:38 AM
Ok.It's after midnight here. I've been drinking Bushmill's whiskey and I am angry that I do not have M80's in high gloss orange sitting in my living room. This sucks.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/16/09 08:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: HAY
 Originally Posted By: Zimm

They look like Optimus Prime's legs....

I was looking at this picture for about three solid minutes, figuring WTF is he talking about, until I saw the little scroller at the bottom .

I suppose I should read the whole thread next time.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/18/09 02:57 AM
Potatohead, thanks. I was wondering exactly the same thing until I saw your post. Seemed like the only things that could relate to legs had been cropped *out* of the picture.

Optimus Prime is one of those robot things in the Megan Fox movies, right ?
Posted By: RickF Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/18/09 03:01 AM
Yea he is the big blue robot thing John \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/18/09 01:21 PM
There were robots in her movie?
Posted By: Argon Re: Speakers with no grills. - 11/18/09 04:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
There were robots in her movie?

© Axiom Message Boards