Axiom Home Page
Posted By: FireGuy Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 11/23/09 01:09 AM
On some rather timely (Xmas) input from my brother I just purchased some Sennheiser HD555 headphones. Given all the positive takes I've read today it looks like a good deal...price and prduct(Amazon for $84.00 delivered). Just asking if anyone in this forum can provide some further insight what I can expect from Sennheiser in terms of their quality and performance.
Posted By: grunt Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 11/23/09 01:23 AM
I have no idea how well they recreate surround sound but I have a pair of HD600s and they are fantastic. For that price I don’t see how you could go wrong.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 11/23/09 11:05 PM
It appears this could be a good choice. No way I could turn down the buy with a price like that. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 11/24/09 04:28 AM
The HD555 are very popular due to their price point. I think you should expect them to be very very comfortable for one. I suspect they will have a hump in the midbass region, a good midrange and treble that is a bit more laid back compared to your M3's.

These might be a headphone which you can wear for hours without experiencing any listener fatigue. $84 seems like quite a good price.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 11/25/09 01:58 AM
Yeah, I read more than one review on that midbass hump. I'm thinking it's a parameter I can live with. Their primary role will be for DVD movies and concerts after hours. I find it difficult (especially on the weekends)to have to turn down my system as to not "interupt" other household personnel. But that's the way it is. Delivery is due tomorrow. Just is time for the loooong weekend. Got to test and break em in before we wrap and prepare as a Xmas gift. These are the benefits of shopping for oneself.
Posted By: schizm42 Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/04/09 05:02 AM
I have had a pair of 555s for several years - they are great if you are plugging them into a receiver, but they work well even without a high-quality source (this is the reason I went for them over the 595 or 600s etc) The higher-end models do sound much sharper and better - however they require an external headphone amplifier to draw out their optimal sound.

In short, my 555s have made me quite happy and I am able to either use them with my stereo system or with my laptop.

edit: keep in mind though - their open-air design helps to open the soundstage, but it also leaks quite a lot. If people are sleeping in the same room and you want to play loud music they can hear it. If they are in a different room you should be fine.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/04/09 02:57 PM
I use HD650's at work. Love, love, love, love, love them. Sublime sound quality and extremely comfortable for hours on end. And I wear glasses, so I'm very sensitive to how headphones fit on/around my ears. I wouldn't trade the 650's for anyting. Well, except maybe HD800's. \:\)

I've never heard or owned 555's, but I've owned a few other Sennheiser cans over the years. I've always been pleased with their acoustic performance and build quality. Whether they were $25 PX100's, or up to the $500 HD650's, they've always surpassed my expectations for the price.

IMHO, to one degree or another, Sennheiser's do impart a little bit of midrange warmth to the sound. They're slightly more "B&W" like than the flat-as-Kansas frequency response that we're used to in our Axiom's. Some might dislike that. I like it in headphones, as I feel it helps establish a more "intimate" feeling in the music given the limited amount of soundstage & depth that headphones can create.

If you want an Axiom-like sound in a headphone, look to AKG. The AKG's I've heard (particularly, the 701's) sounded like having M80's strapped to your head. Extremely detailed, extremely clean, extremely flat frequency response. Wicked-good headphones.
Posted By: grunt Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/04/09 05:55 PM
I’ve never noticed any midrange warmth in my HD600s but, the bass seems quite impressive for a headphone. They are easily the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever had. Very easy to forget I’m wearing them.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/04/09 08:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

If you want an Axiom-like sound in a headphone, look to AKG. The AKG's I've heard (particularly, the 701's) sounded like having M80's strapped to your head. Extremely detailed, extremely clean, extremely flat frequency response. Wicked-good headphones.

I just saw a pair of these on clearance for $248.97($539.00 list).
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/05/09 03:26 AM
Listening to Tarja Turunen and Nighwish "End of an Era" DVD (love this band BTW, if you haven't experienced Tarja Turunen you should, she is fantastic, my new favorate rocker Chic)... Sennheisers doing a marvelous job. Midrange is silky, percise, flowing and spacial. One caveat though is the lack of LFE. Still breaking them in. I also looked at AKG and Grado but didn't see anything in my price range. Upgrades always a consideration down the road.The HD 555's do very very well with female vocals as do the M3's. Honestly, the way Axiom delivers most female vocals is rather astounding. Neutral and transparent sound is bliss.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Sennheiser HD555 Headphones - 12/05/09 03:27 AM
800's are too expensive but they do measure well but there are cheaper alternatives.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=703&graphID[]=963&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=863

Edit: Copy entire link and paste it in browser rather than clicking on the link.
© Axiom Message Boards