Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/04/10 11:48 PM
Just got my Axioms today, a question

Got a probably dumb question.

1. W22's are ported and the W150 is not. Is that because W150 is for Voice and ... and the w22's handle more range of song and music?
2. How much clearance do the w22 ports need below and to the sides of the ports to be 100% effective as designed?

Just curious

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:00 AM
Are you talking about the in-wall versions of M22 and VP150?
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Are you talking about the in-wall versions of M22 and VP150?

Yep!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:04 AM
The ports are to help filter low frequencies into the room. The regular speakers have these in back normally. The wall mount versions have the ports on the bottom so you should not have any restrictions.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:07 AM
Hey Jeff,

I don't think the porting has anything to do with conveying specific types of content. It's just an engineering choice made by the designer with respect to the drivers, enclosure and intended frequency response of the speaker.

I'd call Axiom about your second question, but I'd think a couple inches would be adequate.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:11 AM
There is a video somewhere on the site where Alan installs some in-walls. There might be some info for you in it.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
The ports are to help filter low frequencies into the room. The regular speakers have these in back normally. The wall mount versions have the ports on the bottom so you should not have any restrictions.

Im wall mounting, planning on a wall with veneer and finish to match the speaker cabinets. I work for a upscale casegoods manufacturer, so that will be easy. I showed the speakers to the plant manager and he suggested making the speakers flush to the wall (or wall covering as it where). I said there are ports. He said well find out the restrictions and I will have the cnc guy program the cut out. Worth it? I dont know. Cool? I think yes. I could actually have the "Port space" "curved out" If ya know what I mean. Just thinking outloud. Might not be feasible acoustics wise. but looking at my options

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:15 AM
Probably not a great plan, Jeff. The Axioms are designed to avoid standing wave forms and boundary effects, hence that shape and the fact they're partially in wall and partially out. I'm not sure how they're avoiding that with the fully in-wall T2, T22s (aka the in-wall M2s and M22s) and the in cab T60s and T80s.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Probably not a great plan, Jeff. The Axioms are designed to avoid standing wave forms and boundary effects, hence that shape and the fact they're partially in wall and partially out. I'm not sure how they're avoiding that with the fully in-wall T2, T22s (aka the in-wall M2s and M22s) and the in cab T60s and T80s.

I was a thinkin that was probably the real deal. Don't know why I'm making this so tough on myself. The speakers are beauts, the flat wall will be. So ....

Done standard mounting
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:28 AM
Your going to flush mount the onwall speakers, not sure I would try that, it defeats the whole design. Maybe you should have purchased their flat speakers in that case.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:30 AM
Restricting the sound because of a cool factor would not be worth it in my opinion.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:36 AM
Yeah, Jeff, what Ken and Randy said.

If you want them flush, get the in-wall/in-cabinet series instead of the ON-wall series.

But, hey, if your CNC guy has some time on his hands, I've got a couple projects...
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Restricting the sound because of a cool factor would not be worth it in my opinion.

As all of you can tell. Im not an acoustical engineer. In fact I have the feeling I have no idea what I'm in for with these speakers. I had some JBL studio monitors like 10 years ago I liked, some advents 20 plus years ago that did jazz well, but I really have no idea
Posted By: Wid Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:36 AM
They were designed to be flush mounted not in walls. Do as the instructions say, if not it will be a detriment to their sound.

"How a Hole-in-the-Box Works - A Big Dig into Bass Reflex"
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: wid
They were designed to be flush mounted not in walls. Do as the instructions say, if not it will be a detriment to their sound.

"How a Hole-in-the-Box Works - A Big Dig into Bass Reflex"

You guys crack me up!

Hell if they sound good Im in, I dont care why (yet!)
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:47 AM
With a little luck, I'll be iced in tomorrow and no work , so I can start cutting holes
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:49 AM
Dude, we are not trying to be funny, just trying to help so you don't try to reinvent the wheel, well actually Wid used to do stand up comedy.

Axiom knows what they are doing, so not a good idea to create an environment that could potentially affect their 30 years of expertise. Onwalls are meant to be mounted "onwall" not "inwall". As Tom pointed out, if you wanted a flush look, you should get the "inwall" versions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:50 AM
So, just to be clear, get the in walls if you want in wa... hmm. Maybe you got the message. ;\)
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:55 AM
So, just to be clear, get the in walls if you want in wa... hmm. Maybe you got the message. ;\)

I think I got the message! Screw with Axiom design and engineering , screw with the the intent, your on your own,,, and many Axiom owners will descend upom my abode and do carnage
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 12:58 AM
OK, but if you want in walls, g...

oh.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 01:08 AM
OK, but if you want in walls, g...

oh.

I think Im good, im sort of scared to have another idea!

Hell I never thought about flush till that plant manager (ex friend after this thread ) suggested flush!

I have to build an iCore tonight for bitstreaming ( hate the HDAV) and then tomorrow cutting walls and Axioms
Posted By: axiomoholic Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 06:22 PM
note guys that there are two versions of the m22 bookshelf for "wall" mounting. The older style that has a good portion situated on the wall itself (the w22's) and the m22 in-walls (yes - same name as the bookshelf for some weird reason) that comes out only 5/8 inch - but has a much larger cabinet in the wall cavity.

As I understand it, OP has the 5/8 inch verion - the whole design is based on being 5/8 away form the wall surface. It's not about cosmetics or mounting - it's the acoustic design - so I would not mess with it.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Just got my Axioms today, a question - 02/05/10 09:38 PM
I've got the W22 & W150 3.5" in the wall and 3.5" on the wall
© Axiom Message Boards