Axiom Home Page
Posted By: donlboy Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 12:22 AM
I'm still looking at alternatives for my home theater. Have been planning an Epic 80 - 500 system, but just unpacked a pair of Maggie MG-IIBs today (in storage since 1990!) and was astounded at how good they sounded on 2-channel music. Of course I've been listening lately on my JPWs and old TF-4 Jensens, so I'm probably not properly calibrated just now. Anyway, it occurred to me that I might use them (they have held up perfectly) as my L & R fronts, with other non-Maggie center, surrounds and sub. Has anyone mixed Maggies, especially MG-IIBs, with box type speakers in a 5.1 system? My use will be about 50% music/50% HT. My music so far has been 2 channel, but I'm planning to try out 2.1 as well as 5.1 music. I like the IIBs bass, but of course it doesn't go very deep, especially for HT. Any comments or advice is appreciated.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 12:27 AM
I think it is generally best to have the same brand of speakers for the 3 fronts.

Not sure if anyone around here can comment on your particular speakers but I am sure someone will have something helpful to add...
Posted By: Adrian Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 12:50 AM
Didn't Peter listen to some Maggies a few months ago?

I think the center would be the main issue if there is one, the surrounds (QS series) should work well. Maybe consider a centre that was meant for the Mags, and use the Q's as surrounds.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:08 AM
Yeah, that's how I'd do it. You should be able to find a used Maggie center out there, perhaps on Audiogon. Or in my boss's garage...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:13 AM
Aren't Maggies pretty particular relative to placement?

Either it's going to be a form-factor problem, or the placement difference is going to negate the advantages of trying to timbre match the front 3.

No way to know except to experiment, of course. And my first inclination would be to try and get a Maggie center, but I KNOW it would not work in my house.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:14 AM
Tom's got a point, there. I've never heard one of their centers, myself.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Yeah, that's how I'd do it. You should be able to find a used Maggie center out there, perhaps on Audiogon. Or in my boss's garage...

Does your boss have a massive collection of old speakers in his (or her) garage or something?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:33 AM
Actually, he just goes through speakers like most people go through, uh... stuff people go through a lot of. He almost always sells them, though.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 03:15 AM
Perhaps you should make a few, errr....suggestions to him on, uh, future purchases.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 03:19 AM
I've tried. He's had M22s and sold them awhile back. He's into esoteric crap right now.
Posted By: Nick B Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:01 PM
From what I have read the Magnepan's have a unique sound that would hard to be matched by most boxed speakers. Maybe you can get a budget Axiom 5.1 setup (or another brand if you prefer) and have your Magnepan's for 2 channel music listening in the same room.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Maggies and ??? - 02/06/10 01:38 PM
Here's a link to my Magnepan audition thread last year. It includes valuable comments by Alan Lofft and others on the Magnepan sound and proper placement of the speakers.

I liked the Magnepans OK, but, for me, they weren't an improvement on my M80s. Just different. Wider soundstage, but I liked the precision of the Axioms better, if that makes any sense; I suck at reviews. I'm glad I gave them a listen, though, just for kicks and giggles.
© Axiom Message Boards