Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy W22 in/on wall - Above screen or below - 02/07/10 07:21 PM
Installing my speakers today.

Mounting above or below the screen is about the same distance to listening level. Any reason why I would one over the other audio wise, not a looks thing.

(For looks probably below)

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: Wid Re: W22 in/on wall - Above screen or below - 02/07/10 07:53 PM

I would think ear level while in the seating position would be the best placement for the mains.
Posted By: cb919 Re: W22 in/on wall - Above screen or below - 02/07/10 08:00 PM
Like Wid said, whatever's closer to ear level might in theory be a bit better. However if there's no significant difference I would just go with whichever looks better or is easier to install. Your room calibration will take care of any minor differences between the positioning (Audyssey, MCACC etc...).

I am assuming you're not worried about a 2nd row of seating. If that were the case i might consider going above to maintain better dialogue intelligibility for the 2nd row, but again that might be very small differences.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your install.

Cheers,
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W22 in/on wall - Above screen or below - 02/07/10 08:13 PM
you want your tweeters to be as close as possible to "ear" level when seated.
Oops I had W22 in the title meant W150!

My mains W22's I have the tweeters at ear level, for the center W150 I went under. (over under not much difference to ear level). For surrounds QS4s at 1.5' above ear level and about 6" behind listening position. Probsbly overtkill for my room (11' x 10.5 x 8' - Viewing distance 7', but should sound sweet (I hope!).

We had very heavy rains Friday and it's a mess under the house, so I can't repull - relocate my speaker wires. Receiver is in a rack across the house. So I can look at them, but can't listen to them right now, bummer! I'll need another body so I don't have to run back and forth into the house with all the mud and snow fishing the walls. And Superbowl night, it's going to be hard getting someone to help right now!

Pictures after I cut a 5' doorway, paint and new couch-lounge! (and some progress pictures)

Thanks

Jeff

© Axiom Message Boards