Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy Im still new, one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 01:32 AM
I've had my Axioms hooked up since Saturday, Im very happy.
Got a tiny room 11'w x 10.5' x 8'
I got 2 W22's, 1 W150 and 2 QS4s. Ive already ordered a W100, (the W100 under the display and the W150 over).

So now I want 7.1, needed probably not.... Gonna have it yes.

Should I match the sides to the front, QS8s and move the QS4s to the rear, get QS4s for the back to match the sides or send the QS4s back and get QS8s for the Sides and Rears.

Does the "woofer" part of the rears need to match the fronts?

Thanks

Jeff
To be honest, not sure a room that small would be worth going 7.1, unless your sitting in the middle of the room, 7.1 might be a waste. I assume your sitting near the back wall?

You lost me a little in the last few sentences. If 7.1 is worth while, the "side" surrounds and "rear" surrounds normally would be the same model. Some people go with bookshelfs for the rears if they listen to a lot of multi channel music, however, the Q's do a good job for that as well.

Again, not to bash your room size, but I think it might be a bit to small for 7.1...You would be better putting the money towards another sub.
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
To be honest, not sure a room that small would be worth going 7.1, unless your sitting in the middle of the room, 7.1 might be a waste. I assume your sitting near the back wall?

You lost me a little in the last few sentences. If 7.1 is worth while, the "side" surrounds and "rear" surrounds normally would be the same model. Some people go with bookshelfs for the rears if they listen to a lot of multi channel music, however, the Q's do a good job for that as well.

Again, not to bash your room size, but I think it might be a bit to small for 7.1...You would be better putting the money towards another sub.

Dealing with the room I had, Im 7' from the screen and have 3.5' behind the viewing position so I think I'll get the effect. It's only a 52" display, per the charts I can go to 64"
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

Oh the sub is coming! But the 10" JBL I have is holding it's own till phase 2
Posted By: fredk Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 01:47 AM
QS4s will do just fine, but if its 'gotta have' might as well go QS8's and be done with it. Now start saving for the addition so you can really make those puppies sing...
 Originally Posted By: fredk
QS4s will do just fine, but if its 'gotta have' might as well go QS8's and be done with it. Now start saving for the addition so you can really make those puppies sing...

Yep, already planning the addition, you'll have to walk thru the TV room with the W22s to get to the theater with the M80s. Buy speakers, build a romm, whats wrong with this equation?
sounds like you've got it all figured out then..
Posted By: fredk Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 01:58 AM
"but honey look. These guys said that what I should do!"
Posted By: Argon Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 02:13 AM
Yeah....everybody "else" is doin it!
I know .. Ive made up my mind 7.1,

but I still have the question... match the surrounds to the fronts, which would mean an upgrade to the QS8's, 5 1/2" woofs or it doesn't matter, Qs4s rock the room and then if so, do the rears, used not often Id assume, can be QS4s or upgrade to QS8s?

Am I asking the question the wrong way?

Damn I just want to do this right, but bucks is bucks

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: Wid Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 02:32 AM

What sub ya got coming?
 Originally Posted By: wid

What sub ya got coming?

Not sure yet, It will be to big for the room, planning for the future, but Im a thinking much past the 350 would acutually hurt in my room. Unless a big one would do fine low and I could move it later on.
There is really no such thing as "too much sub"

You can turn the gain down on the sub and also lower the sub level on the receiver to make a large sub work in a small room if needed.

That being said, I think an ep350 will be fine for your room, and will work well in a larger room too.

But if you want to go bigger you always could.
Posted By: Argon Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 02:59 AM
I love my 500. It gives authority to anything (which is everything) that we listen to through the receiver.
Posted By: JohnK Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 03:00 AM
Jeff, in that size room the QS4s should be plenty. No, you don't have to be concerned about a difference in the mid-woofer size with respect to the front speakers. It would be extremely subtle to the degree that it wouldn't be noticeable on typical surround material.
4 QS8's would be my recommendation, as they offer that future proofing factor of a the larger room.
Posted By: HAY Re: A still new one more question, Some advise - 02/18/10 07:42 PM
I'm currently running 7.1 in a room 10' wide by 20' long and 8' high. My couch is roughly 16' back from my display.

I wired the room for 7.1 in 2004 to future proof. When I upgraded my received and added the second set of QS8's I didn't find that the 4 QS8's are needed in my room. I think it looks great and I have all my speakers for the next house but in hindsight I think I should have went for a 2nd sub instead.

For awhile I was running M3's as rears and for multi channel music or speaker B for swithcing back and forth from M60 to M3. I liked this set up a bit better. Furthermore, I used the M3's as presence speakers up front (Yamaha feature) and found that was more beenficial than the 7.1

I think you may be surprised how much better your bass will be once you add a second sub or upgrade your current one. I thought my JBL 10" sub was awesome until I got my HSU....
© Axiom Message Boards