Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 02:55 PM
What does everyone use to clean their screen with? We had some people over and a little kid put a handprint on the screen that is apparently viewable.

It's a Sony SXRD if that matters.

Some windex and an old T-shirt perhaps?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:21 PM
I know for sure that Windex is a big no no. I would suggest a soft cloth that is slightly dampened with water.

Outside of regular around the house stuff, there are screen cleaning materials available at electronic stores.
Posted By: RickF Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:26 PM
If you still have the owner's manual I'd take a peek inside and see what the manufacturer recommends.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:28 PM
Two microfiber cloths. One damp (use water) and one dry to get any excess moisture off the screen should work just great!

You can also pick up at your local electronic store special cleaners. I know Monster sells a microfiber cloth and cleaner package for televisions . Perhaps you can find something similar and cheaper. On the other hand Option 1 should be just fine and cost a fraction of the price.
Posted By: RickF Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:34 PM
I'd still read what the manual has to offer, I bought one of those generic micro fiber cloth/cleaning solution combo kits that worked great on our plasmas but streaked the bejeezus out of our RP/DLP.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:38 PM
Two microfiber cloths is the key. Carefully going over the entire screen with a dry microfiber cloth afterwards should eliminate any streaks.
Posted By: casey01 Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:42 PM
From my experience, I would forget about any of the cleaning solutions, especially something like Windex. Even though it seems to clean well, there is a tendency, usually not immediately noticeable, for a "film" to form on the screen that you end up having to wipe off later.

I would concur with the "slighty" damp soft cloth approach.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 03:58 PM
Windex permanently damaged my LCD screen in my bedroom.
Posted By: snazzed Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 04:24 PM
I use Lens Cleaner for eye-glasses and a microfibre cloth.

Eyeglasses have so many coatings on them, anti-glare, anti-reflective, anti-scratch and so on... and of course its important not to take the coatings off or scratch the lenses...

I use Eye glass cleaner on my TVs, computer screens and... my glasses \:\)

snazzed
Posted By: Zarak Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 04:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Here is the monster one that was mentioned. I hate to get anything Monster, but it does seem to get better reviews than other ones out there.

With a two month old at home, I'm going to need something to keep things clean within the next year or so as she starts getting mobile.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 05:16 PM
Thats a lot cheaper than the last time I seen that stuff at futureshop. It was somewhere between $40 - $50 . They usually have bottles of that out to use on the televisions (with the cloth). It does do a good job , I am just not a supporter of Monster ™ as a company.
Posted By: Murph Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 05:28 PM
Windex will definitely damage LCD screens. Never use it or any other window cleaners.

The double microfiber cloth solution can't be beat for price, simplicity and eco-friendliness over the long run.

In the computer department, you can buy packages of LCD specific wipes that are much cheaper than Monster's who would have you believe that their product needs to cost more since it is for home theater instead of a computer screen. But again, why not get a permanent solution in the microfiber cloth.

However, the wipes do have their place if your kid has smeared something particularly sticky or crusty on the screen. The chemicals in it will help to break down the crap better than a damp cloth. The trick is to do it without rubbing the crap to the point it scratches your screen.
Posted By: Argon Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 05:53 PM
On my LCD - microfiber and distilled water.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:08 PM
I just use a soft cloth on my LCD-RP.
If there are any fingerprint smudges I get the cloth damp with some water... works great.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I just use a soft cloth on my LCD-RP.
If there are any fingerprint smudges I get the cloth damp with some water... works great.

This is all I do and haven't been disappointed yet. Just make sure it's very lightly moistened. Let it dry out for a while first if you have to.
Posted By: Adrian Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:26 PM
Doesn't anyone use a belt sander anymore?

Arrrhh....Arrrrhh.....Arrrrhh!!
Posted By: Redo Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:26 PM
I use some Clean Dr screen cleaner I found at a Staples for my SXRD. Comes with some safe cleaning fluid and a microfiber cloth.
Posted By: jakewash Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:37 PM
Perfect timing for this thread as I have a bunch of finger/hand prints all over my Plasma TV after getting it wall mounted. \:\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 06:40 PM
Comment removed by myself.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 07:41 PM
I use an old-fashion Turkey Feather Duster on most of my electronics. Works great...
Posted By: Murph Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 07:46 PM
But doesn't the tryptophan make you sleepy?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 08:22 PM
Not me, but the equipment goes into <standby>
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: clean your TV screen - 02/22/10 08:44 PM
+ 1 for the micro fiber cloth.

I have a little eco-friendly tip that I came up with for my Swiffer, and I'm sure many of you guys have one.

You can buy a large micro fiber towel in the "auto section" of your hardware store, and cut it up into six or so separate cloths to fit the Swiffer, then sew the edges. I just wash the cloths when they get dirty, and they also last for a very long time.

No need to throw out those Swiffer brand cloths when they get dirty, it's cheaper, works just as well if not better, and more importantly cuts down on waste.
Posted By: Argon Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 01:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
+ 1 for the micro fiber cloth.

I have a little eco-friendly tip that I came up with for my Swiffer, and I'm sure many of you guys have one.

You can buy a large micro fiber towel in the "auto section" of your hardware store, and cut it up into six or so separate cloths to fit the Swiffer, then sew the edges. I just wash the cloths when they get dirty, and they also last for a very long time.

No need to throw out those Swiffer brand cloths when they get dirty, it's cheaper, works just as well if not better, and more importantly cuts down on waste.

Can you sew me some?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 01:20 AM
Heh... I just use swiffer cloths without the swiffer. Someone gave us a box at some point or something.
Posted By: Zarak Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 01:26 AM
Found a microfiber cloth at home, put on just a little bit of water, and it did the trick.

Thanks all!
Posted By: dakkon Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 02:19 AM
if you go to auto zone, they have ultra plush micro fiber cloths. They are blue. These are what I use to dry my car, as well as clean the TV. they work much better than a regular microfiber cloth due to the length of the fibers... I am fairly sure you can use rubbing alcohol, that is what we use to use to clean computer LCD displays, I am also pretty sure that LCD TV's can't be much different than computer LCD displays.

hope this helps.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 09:21 AM
One spritz of any quick detailer for cars on a soft and clean microfiber cloth does the trick. Most decent quick detailers are designed to lift and suspend dust so it can be GENTLY wiped off. A bonus is that it leaves the surface a little slick so subsequent smudges are easier to wipe off.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 07:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I use an old-fashion Turkey Feather Duster on most of my electronics. Works great...

Yeah - that's great if you can even FIND an old-fashioned turkey!!!!

Timing for the question is good. I had been looking for microfiber cloths for a few months. Of course, I stumbled across them Sunday when I WASN'T actively looking.

Go to Lowe's in the automotive section. They have a single one (16" x 16") for $3.97 or a three pack for $8.97 ( I might be $1 off). Got them and did the slightly damp + dry approach and they worked great.
Posted By: Murph Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 08:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
Yeah - that's great if you can even FIND an old-fashioned turkey!!!!

....which in those days was known as a walking-bird.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: clean your TV screen - 02/23/10 08:44 PM
Did they wear an onion on their belts, as was the fashion at the time?
Posted By: CV Re: clean your TV screen - 02/24/10 05:41 AM
\:\)
© Axiom Message Boards