Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/26/10 11:37 PM
I've ordered a EP500, so a sub crawl (or for me sub slide my bad knee butt around the room) is in the near future.

Is there any media (movie or music) that you all would recommend for the exercise?

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: Argon Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/27/10 01:56 PM
I have seen Transformers recco'd before. I have yet to do the sub crawl - I have one of the DVE calibration discs and it has a low frequency sweep that you can put on repeat. I thought about using that as well.
Posted By: alan Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/27/10 03:08 PM
Hi Jeff,

There are the classic almost-over-the-top DVD or Blu-ray movies: the remake of War of the Worlds (use the parts where the footfalls of those big pod things stomp around); U-571 (the depth charge explosions) and the cave sequence from that movie with Robt Downey Jr., the name of which I can't recall.

For music, other forum members who are in touch with modern pop/rock will have suggestions.

The Holly Cole Trio CD with the track "I Can See Clearly Now (the rain has gone)" has very well recorded string bass and vocals.

Older jazz CDs with good string-bass include "We Get Requests" (Oscar Peterson Trio); Time Out (Dave Brubeck), etc.

In classical, almost any Telarc disc with the Cincinnatti Symphony or Atlanta Symphony has really terrific orchestral bass drum. Also Reference Recordings classical.

Regards,
Posted By: fredk Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/27/10 04:21 PM
 Quote:
and the cave sequence from that movie with Robt Downey Jr., the name of which I can't recall.

Not a Black Sabbath fan?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/27/10 07:32 PM
Oh, right, War Pigs. Great Robert Downey, Jr. flick.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 02/27/10 09:48 PM
Ironman?
This is pretty good list of movies with a lot of bass:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 12:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: punisher101
This is pretty good list of movies with a lot of bass:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

Thanks
Posted By: alan Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 03:07 PM
"Ironman". That's it!

Thanks.
Alan
Posted By: Wid Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 03:14 PM

Check out the movie "9". It has some great bass scenes in it.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 03:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: wid

I've got 9, haven't watched it yet. I have
Ironman, and I have War of the Worlds and U-571 in my net fix queue (thought I owned these, but must have been rentals) per Alan's suggestions, so I should be good to go when the EP500 gets here.

But alais, no shipping notice yet, ordered it last Thursday night. Oh well, I guess my room ain't going no where.
Posted By: RickF Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 03:33 PM
We just got the B/R version of "9" in the mail yesterday, we'll check it out tonight. "Flight of the Phoenix" (Dennis Quaid) has always been a favorite of mine for LFE.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 04:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm
 Originally Posted By: wid

But alais, no shipping notice yet, ordered it last Thursday night. Oh well, I guess my room ain't going no where.

Update: Just got my shipping notice, hopefully here for the weekend!
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/02/10 09:17 PM
While we are at it, can anyone recommend a do it yourself display/video calibration Disk/System. Last I checked/knew of a long while back, DVE & Avia(?) were the only game in town.

What's the new shampoo?

Thanks
Posted By: idboy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/03/10 04:00 AM
Disclaimer - I have not used either of the following, but here is what I know. There is a B/R version of DVE, I don't know if it is easier to use than the earlier non-B/R version or not. The new kid on the video calibration front is a B/R disc by Spears & Munsil which you can get from Oppo or Amazon for $25. It is apparently well made and easy to use. You can learn more by checking their website - just google it. In addition Scott Wilkinson of hometheatermag.com and ultimateav.com now has a neat podcast of which one of the guests he interviewed are Spears and Munsil. FWIW
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/03/10 04:28 AM
IIRC, the Spears & Munsil disc does not contain audio test tones.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/03/10 10:50 PM
Thanks All!
Posted By: dakkon Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 05:41 AM
Finding Nemo, Don't know why no one mentioned that one, the scene where the little girl is thumping on the fish tank in the dentist office.

That is probably the strongest bass that I have Ever herd.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 02:39 PM
You know what I just discovered has great bass? Home Alone. That's right. The scene where Kevin is in the church has some organ music with nice low bass. \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 03:04 PM
Is it so good that it makes you want to slap both your cheeks and scream?
Posted By: alan Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 03:27 PM
Yes, I forgot the fish-tank scene. I've never seen the movie but it's mentioned so often in this context on these forums--the Darla scene?--that I usually mention it.

Thanks,
Alan
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 05:56 PM
Stupid question alert! For the sub crawl should I have the sub facing the front of the room, front for front positioning, facing rear for rear positioning or it doesn't matter?
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 06:15 PM
Doesn't matter, LFE is non directional.....sort of. \:\) Some people claim to be able to tell direction of LFE but the lower ranges 80hz and down are pretty much impossible to determine the direction they are eminating from.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 06:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Doesn't matter, LFE is non directional.....sort of. \:\) Some people claim to be able to tell direction of LFE but the lower ranges 80hz and down are pretty much impossible to determine the direction they are eminating from.

Thanks
Posted By: CV Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 07:31 PM
Haven't people said they can tell where the low bass is coming from because they can tell where the vibrations are coming from via the floor? So it wouldn't be the sound making it directional, but the feel?
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 09:05 PM
I think it is more they know where the sub actually is so their minds already know where the sound/vibrations is/are coming from.

Just had YES playing via Rhapsody and there was some incredible bass during I've Seen all Good People.
Posted By: cb919 Re: The Sub Crawl, Test Media Suggestions - 03/04/10 10:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You know what I just discovered has great bass? Home Alone. That's right. The scene where Kevin is in the church has some organ music with nice low bass. \:\)

I discovered that as well not too long ago when my kids wanted to watch Xmas movies. I was kind of dozing on the couch and then the church scene with the pipe organs brought my EP to life. I was surprised and impressed so I replayed the chapter while my kids rolled their eyes at having to watch the same scene twice! \:\)

Also, just watched iRobot last night on BR. Forgot what a fun movie that was and there is some very serious LFE throughout the movie, but the car chase scene with the robot delivery trucks attacking in particular stood out to me.
© Axiom Message Boards