Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Avi Deshpande M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 01:53 AM
So my M80 ordeal continues..

-- First pair was messed up..poor packing & fedex
-- got immediate replacement..thnx to awesome customer service
-- pain packing the old one to send back
-- new pair one year hence..twiteers gone bad.
-- got replacement ones..one came broken in the box..poor packing?
-- CS is shipping one more..will take 2 weeks. still not sure if it will fix the issue

Is this quality/packing issue at Axiom or just my luck.

At this point if the new one doesnot fix the problem..do i ask for replacement of the speaker?

Now even wifey nagging me on havin bought from internet only company. I really hope my ordeal ends and i can enjoy my movies/music.

Have put Sub purchase on hold..was about to pull plug on EP600
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:04 AM
The packing is adequete however I do notice when I see pictures posted of boxes when customers first get their stuff they do get beat up and the edges, bottom corners seem to get it pretty badly and the product gets exposed. Most of the time there is no physical damage.

One thing I suggested to Axiom is double(over) box their products (I have even mentioned this in their latest customer survey). Now this obviously adds to overhead and might come as an unnecessary added cost but I think it can be beneficial for some of the more difficult/heavier items to ship like the M80's.

BTW you do hear of shipping damage from time to time on the forum but it is not something that is a common occurrence.

Also, remember Axiom ALWAYS does right by the customer and will be there to assist you if there is any problems.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:06 AM
That sucks dude. I'm surprised there's a two week wait after what you've already dealt with.
Posted By: darcman Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:07 AM
Bummer, blame the couriers. I was reading on another site where people were buying speakers from newegg and whatever courier was punching holes in the boxes with a forklift, so there would be handles.
Id just say kindly bring it to their attention.
Posted By: Wid Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:18 AM

This seems like more of an exception than the rule. There have been reports of damaged goods from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary.

Don't know if the courier is all to blame. Axiom could try a bit better at packing their stuff.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:37 AM
One of my m80 boxes had a huge rip in the side but luckily the speaker was fine. The speaker was not doubled boxed. My ep500 box looking a little rough too but again there was no damage.
VP150 and QS8 boxes were in great shape.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:48 AM
Double boxing would likely add to the shipping cost initially, but when you consider returns, having employees repack/reship/invoice ect ect...it may actually be a wash or save $$, not to mention keep the customer satisfied and not reconsider future purchases.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 02:53 AM
I think someone mentioned that Axiom used to double box speakers in the past (at least certain ones). I may be mistaken tho...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 03:10 AM
Yes. When I got my Axioms, they were all double boxed. That was a few years ago though. The outside boxes was beat to heck with rips and tears in it, but the inside boxes were perfect.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 03:14 AM
purchased in november 07 (no double boxing at that time)
Posted By: davew Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 06:52 AM
My VaSSallo Series M80's shipped in June 09 were double boxed.

-Dave
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 07:05 AM
Oh sure, they double box the nice ones.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 03:49 PM
And they put nice custom Axiom cloth bags around them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 07:39 PM
I was not totally impressed with some of the recent packaging of the onwall speakers, they are basically placed in the center of the packaging with custom foam on the ends. Something piercing the cardboard would easily reach the centered speakers, versus having some double boxing or additional foam,bubble wrap.
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 09:16 PM
yes..if you had seen photos of the original speakers i had received..i should have cancelled the order but this forum gave me hopes..that service will do it right..

even the new twitters i recd were in a bubble wrap and put in a small box..moving all over the box. not impressed..one would think they pack those so they don't bang on each other and damage.

The wait for the next box kills you. I was watching a movie y'day and the left channel was going on-off with twitter. painful..had to switch it off and go back to TV speakers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 09:28 PM
You mean tweeter, not twitter \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 09:49 PM
Considering they didn't tweet...

Its probably a matter of cost. Costs less to replace a few sets of speakers than double the cardboard. On the other hand, the Vasallos probably offer more margine, and more cost to replace.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 10:03 PM
Your probably correct FredK. Axiom will also take up a damage claim with the shipping company I presume when it comes to these matters. However the amount of labour and time that goes into some of the custom finishes, overboxing the shipment would be a must.
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 11:01 PM
Hope it is not the factory outlet thing..single box packing in a poly bag \:\)

@htnut: ofcourse non tweeting tweeters i meant. I am losing my mind..cannot listen to all that gr8 music w/o rocking M80s
Posted By: Glitchy Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/01/10 11:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: Avi Deshpande
Hope it is not the factory outlet thing..single box packing in a poly bag \:\)

@htnut: ofcourse non tweeting tweeters i meant. I am losing my mind..cannot listen to all that gr8 music w/o rocking M80s

Nope! My "New" Ws came single box poly bag, but all 6 made it fine. Maybe your Delv Driver has it out for you!
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 06:46 AM
So the ordeal continues...Fedex delivered another box with one tweeter and i put it in..no use..the issue still continues.

Now its driving me nuts..I requested the speaker to be replaced ASAP. I hope the warranty clause allows it.

HOPE ! HOPE !! HOPE !!!!
Posted By: grunt Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 07:46 AM
Sounds strange that multiple tweeters would all be bad.

Have you tried swapping the tweeters between the two M80s. If not take the two known good tweeters out of the other M80s and put them in the bad one. Also, put the tweeters from the bad M80 (especially the new tweeter you just got) and put them in the good M80. If the problem follows the tweeter then it is actually bad. If the problem stays with the speaker itself then it’s not the tweeters but something else in the cabinet that’s wrong.

Have you check where the wires come off the crossover to make sure their not loose there and not just at the driver itself?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 03:43 PM
Yeah, it sounds like there's something else going on here.
Posted By: alan Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 07:12 PM
Hello Avi,

This is most unusual. Please check the gold links between the two sets of speaker terminals to make sure they are making good electrical contact between the woofer and tweeter/midrange sections. If those are inadvertently displaced, the tweeter section may not work.

In my nine years with Axiom, I don't ever recall two replacement tweeters in succession being defective. They are carefully checked on a sweep frequency recorder on the line to make sure they conform to the response limits profile in the computer.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 07:34 PM
Hi Alan:

That was the first check i was asked to do and they are super tight..also midrange work fine. Its just the tweeters..they work on & off..not totally off..so something else is going on.
When i tap on the speaker..they work and then again stop..midrange are always working. These speakers were from factory outlet..hope it does not make a difference.

BTW, i got an email from JC and sent him the details. Will update soon.

Regs
Avi
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 07:38 PM
Good News...Axiom comes through yet again..

Noreen confirmed that they are shipping me a new M80 and this one goes back.

Now question, what about the break-in of the new one..will it sound weird with one old and one new?
Posted By: RickF Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 07:40 PM
Send me the new one, I'll send you one already broken in.

Posted By: alan Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 10:45 PM
Hi Avi,

Thanks for checking. Sounds to me like an intermittent connection between the tweeters and the crossover board.

Nothing to do with the Factory Outlet. It is only slight cosmetic blemishes on the exterior at final inspection that will move a model to the Outlet store. They are normally acoustically perfect and fully guaranteed.

You don't have to "break in" the new M80. If any break-in occurs, it happens in seconds. The notion of break-in is really a psycho-acoustical phenomenon, where your ears and brain adjust to the sound of new speakers in your particular room.

I'm delighted that you are receiving a new M80 and regret the problems you've had.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 11:12 PM
Thanks Alan.

Now i really should drop the ball and get that EP 500 or 600 \:\)

I know Alan mentioned EP350 would do the job in my room..but future proofing ..so go higher is the motto

So much stuff to buy..

BTW, what do people do with old electronic stuff which is in excellant working condition? like my toshiba DVD player from 10 years..works good..but doesnot play recorded DVDs
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/09/10 11:56 PM

BTW, what do people do with old electronic stuff which is in excellant working condition? like my toshiba DVD player from 10 years..works good..but doesnot play recorded DVDs

This has come up in the past. I have donated stuff to Habitat for Humanity, and others have donated to schools and youth groups.
Posted By: fredk Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 12:01 AM

OK, I'll bite. If it doesn't play recorded DVDs any more, what does it do? Maybe it looks good in a pearl neclace...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 12:50 AM
It doesn't read DVD±R/RW, but reads "pressed" DVDs. My ancient Sony was that way.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 05:03 AM
That pearl necklace comment is scaring me.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 05:22 AM
I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 05:32 AM
No, I was referring to this pearl necklace comment just a couple/few posts above mine:

Originally Posted By: fredk
OK, I'll bite. If it doesn't play recorded DVDs any more, what does it do? Maybe it looks good in a pearl neclace...

Posted By: Argon Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 05:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: htnut
That pearl necklace comment is scaring me.

Check out the Pearl Necklace in the "Based on Someone's Comment" thread and maybe that will alleviate your fear.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/10/10 08:49 PM
It really is worth the look. \:\)
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 05:39 PM
Has anybody got the new black speakers?
I got an email from Noreen that they have moved to a new black and mine is the old shade. They have to cut and make a new one for me with the old black shade and will take a few days.

My M80 is already obsolete \:\(
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 05:49 PM
"New" black?? I wonder what the difference is....
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 05:54 PM
I think we agreed a couple of months back that the "new" black is darker/blacker vs the "graphitey(?)" black from before.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 05:56 PM
It's "Ultra Black".... Blacker than Black....so Black, it's kind of gray.... Back in Black..... The New Black, it is.....
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 06:01 PM
Just spit it out, Mark....How Black is it?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 06:14 PM
It's so black, your eyes slide off of it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 06:15 PM
It's so black, it doesn't cast a shadow.
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: M80 ordeal..is it just me? - 03/15/10 06:18 PM
hope it is cut and made and matches my existing shade \:\)

and ofcourse does not have any more issues.
© Axiom Message Boards