Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Glitchy EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:01 PM
My EP500 came today. Currently I have a RCA stereo cable fished and strung under the house with the 2 to 1 adapter on the receiver side for my JBL Sub (2 RCAs in at sub).

I know the EP500 takes the 1/4 jack/adapter. Can I just use one side of my RCAs cable for now. I tried to get a cable from monoprice a few days ago, but they are out of stock, and I want to be able to listen to the sub till a new cable gets here and I can get it pulled and fished.

Also, If I want to run dual subs, whats the best way to cable that up. EP500 and 10 year old JBL 10"?

Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:05 PM
What do you mean by "one side of my RCA cable?"

The EP500 should include a 1/4 jack -> RCA adapter, so all you need is a regular RCA-RCA cable. I is confused.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
What do you mean by "one side of my RCA cable?"

The EP500 should include a 1/4 jack -> RCA adapter, so all you need is a regular RCA-RCA cable. I is confused.

My current JBL sub has a left and right rca inputs. So i've always had an 1 rca/2 rca adaptor at my receicer and a RCa stereo cable to the sub, into the rca right and left inputs.

Your saying I can just use one conductor of my 2 conductor cable, correct.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:12 PM
Your receiver should have a single sub out, right? And your EP500 has a single sub in. So yeah, you can just use one conductor. The cables are only linked by the rubber surround.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:16 PM
Your receiver should have a single sub out, right? And your EP500 has a single sub in. So yeah, you can just use one conductor. The cables are only linked by the rubber surround.

Thanks, I know these things, not all new to me but haven't researched or had a new sub in many years and there always could be something new I'm not aware of and well a new $1230 sub, I'd rather ask dumb questions, first instead of later.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 06:17 PM
Fair nuff!

I wasn't quite clear on what you were asking.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 07:28 PM
There's probably no reason whatsoever to run TWO cables to the JBL. It is possible that it doesn't even need to have both inputs. My SVS has both inputs, but I only need to use one of them.

I'd split the signal at the receiver with a Y.

Run one leg (mono) to each sub.

If your JBL for some reason doesn't like one input, Y it again back to two.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 07:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
There's probably no reason whatsoever to run TWO cables to the JBL. It is possible that it doesn't even need to have both inputs. My SVS has both inputs, but I only need to use one of them.

I'd split the signal at the receiver with a Y.

Run one leg (mono) to each sub.

If your JBL for some reason doesn't like one input, Y it again back to two.

Thanks,

I like that idea, don't have to pull another 100' run.
Probably just move and add outlets and sub feed.

I HATE wires exposed, so everything gets fished thru the walls.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 07:36 PM
Some subs play at half volume when fed only an L or R. Haven't heard of one built like that for at least 10 years though.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 07:38 PM
Could just put a Y at the sub end of the single cable, then. Easy enough fix, and no more cable pulling!
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 11:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Some subs play at half volume when fed only an L or R. Haven't heard of one built like that for at least 10 years though.

Well that sounds like my JBL, 10/12 years old, so now it makes sense. I probably discovered that I needed both feeds/channels years ago and just forgot, but have always hooked it up that way.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 11:39 PM
Well my plan is to listen with just the EP500 connected to hear/feel the difference from my JBL, for long enough to get use to it, then connect the JBL also to see if I like running both.

From reading the forums here, more is better subwise, but with the EPs DSP and other qualities, my inner self says the 10+ year old JBL should degrade the sound .... but I trust the axiom users audio feng shui. So I'll give it a shot!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/04/10 11:58 PM
Even if the JBL wants both inputs, you can just run one cable to it (rather than the stereo pair) and attach a Y adapter at the sub.

The JBL will probably help you even out the response across multiple locations, but won't help you with overall loudness or depth.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 02:04 AM
Shhhh Im running audyessy!
Posted By: Adrian Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 02:46 AM
Bwwaaappp!!....Bwwaaapp!!....Bwwaaapp!!........
Posted By: alan Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 12:52 PM
HI wordgasm,

You can run the EP500, then just use the line-out jack on the EP500 with a single RCA cable to your JBL's line input, like a daisy chain. You needn't run two separate RCA cables all the way from the receiver to each subwoofer, unless it's more convenient to do that.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 02:54 PM
Hi Alan, I don't think the EP500 has an RCA out any more, at least not if it's like the new EP800 or EP350 amps.
Posted By: Argon Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 02:57 PM
In Feng Shui - an Orange Door is disharmonious.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 03:43 PM
Hi Alan, I don't think the EP500 has an RCA out any more, at least not if it's like the new EP800 or EP350 amps.

I'm a thinkin your right
Posted By: Argon Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 04:54 PM

My replacement amp did not have a line out.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 05:10 PM
Well, they do, it's just an XLR connector.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 05:13 PM
Even without the RCA out, you can get the same effect, by placing a Y at the end of the cable run. One leg goes into the sub, and the other continues on to the next sub. You're just moving the Y from inside the sub to outside.

So yeah, if you have two subs which are nearer to each other, than the receiver, use a Y at the end of the cable run from the receiver. If both are closer to the receiver than each other, place the Y at the receiver end, and run two cables.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 06:15 PM
I want Chris to come organize my life.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 10:17 PM
And now for a little WHINE and some cheese

This is a frustrating hobby some times!

This morning, got up, went to watch some news before starting to get ready for work ........BUT NO...... The Harmony 900 remote won't light up, reset the battery, nada ... reset battery again nada ..... put it in charger, nada ...... shook the SH*T out of it, smacked it a few times, reset the battery again, nada, put it in the charger and something on the screen, but nothing good..... Plugged it into my notebook "USB device not recognized"
back on charger, nothing, left it and went to work.

Got to work, and started realizing, all my gear is across the house in the rack, all these new axiom speakers, the brand new day old EP500, and I can't do my sub crawl and enjoy the Axioms with some music and movies this weekend.....

Well that won't do...Need an RF remote NOW!,damn another $350.00 after I just bought all these axioms.

So go online at work and order a Harmony 1100 w/Sat delivery (the RF ranges sucks on the 900, and I thought I'd try something new), figuring I'll RMA the 900 and Logitech will send me a new 900 in a couple of weeks (they were real good about replacing my SqueezeBox Duet controller when it went south after a firmware/sodtware update)and I'll make up my mind which I like better the 900 or 1100 or both.

So all is well except for the unexpected $350.00

Come home this afternoon, check the 900, nada, well at least I didn't waste the $350.00...... Oh well, reset the battery ...ONE MORE TIME! And the SOB powers on and is working fine!

Now I'll get the 1100, and instead of sending it back, I'll keep wondering if I'll like it better than the 900 and I'll have to open the box and program the thing! And that will probably make me put off the QS8s for another month, maybe.

Did I say hobby, maybe I'm really just into punishing myself

Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 10:36 PM
I'm thinking about getting the 1100. I'd like to know how you like that one.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/05/10 10:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat

I'm sure I'll open it and I'll let you know.
Posted By: alan Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/06/10 06:32 PM
Oops! (face red). Thanks, all. I better make another trip up to Axiom and check out the new amps in the subs.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/16/10 09:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm

And? Have you had a chance to get to this?
Posted By: Glitchy Re: EP500 Hookup It's arrived! - 03/16/10 10:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm

And? Have you had a chance to get to this?

I got it and been using it a while, love it but still not sure.
I love everything, except lots of two handed, it's just different than a "regular" remote. Maybe it will just take sopme getting use to it.

I've stopped using the 900 completely for right now, to get used to the 1100.

I'll keep ya posted
© Axiom Message Boards