Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous Amp and speaker questions - 12/16/01 11:07 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing either M3, M22 or M40 speakers. How would these speakers mate with an old NAD 3020 integrated amp. As everyone probaby knows, the 3020 is rather warm and sweet, but a bit out of focus.

1. Any opinions on this mating?
2. Which speakers to buy, M3, M22, or M40? Size is not important.
3. (...and this is an embarassing question :-) How do the speakers mentioned above compare with an old pair of Polk Monitor 10s (excluding bass of course)?

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

George
george21b@yahoo.com

Posted By: Ian Re: Amp and speaker questions - 12/17/01 02:47 PM
I remember the 3020, good little amp. Any of the models you are looking at will work well with that amp. The M40 would be the best choice, especially if you do not have a sub.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Amp and speaker questions - 12/17/01 04:38 PM
Thank you for your reply Ian.

I read all the SoundStage and GoodSound reviews on the M3, M22, M40, and I get the impression that the M22 is sonically better than the M3, which is better than M40 (if bass is not as important). I realize that these difference are very slight and subjective. Am I wrong here?

Also, am I better off to keep the 3020 or buy an inexpensive integrated amp like the Cambridge Audio A300? Deminishing returns?

Ian, I really appreciate your help and I can't wait to purchase a pair of your speakers. All the reviews I read about your speakers say they are amazing.

Thanks,
George
george21b@yahoo.com

Posted By: Ian Re: Amp and speaker questions - 12/18/01 03:34 PM
The M22 with a sub would be a better all around system than the M40s (but more money also). Starting with the M22s is an option. I would try it all out on the 3020 before making the switch in amps.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: Anonymous Thanks Ian - 12/18/01 04:47 PM
nt

© Axiom Message Boards