Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 10:31 AM
I imagine I will be ceiling mounting all four of my QS8s when I move my system to the basement, but I still think it would be slick to have a mounting system for the wall that can slide a speaker both horizontally and vertically in the range of at least several square feet. Just like my loudspeaker lazy susan idea which would be remote-controlled rotating platforms for your main speakers to sit on so you could easily experiment with toe-in, the sliding speaker mount would likewise be for the more dedicated hobbyists who want to experiment with the positioning of the surround channels. I have the feeling I would have to get these custom made, but on the off-chance, has anyone seen anything like this? If not, does anyone know anyone who could make something like this well?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 12:15 PM
U should market this stuff!
Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 12:36 PM
I think Axiom should make them and give me store credit if they actually sell. Less effort on my part. Ha ha. Seriously, it would be kind of cool if they offered products like this that would encourage meaningful experimentation--practical tweaking to counterbalance the normal faith-based audio tweak products.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 01:32 PM
Yeah, I think some type of horizontal channel/track that the Q's can be moved around the room to find the ideal location. Reminds me of my electric car racing tracks I had as a kid.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 03:06 PM
Did I miss a bbigwyrs post?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 05:10 PM
Dude, no wonder you were up all night.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 05:14 PM
Does it come with a remote control?
Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/11/10 05:48 PM
A remote would be nice.
Posted By: grunt Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 12:25 AM
Charles I’ve been searching for something like this for some time but I must have accidentally deleted the links I’d found. Do a search for “articulated wall mount,” “universal arm mount” or something similar and you will get a lot of results. Many are for things like LCD Tvs some of which are small and sturdy enough to work with the QS8s.

For more range of motion I I’ve considered mounting one to a “linear slide” or “sliding rail.” I’ve even considered mounting a rail on the ceiling and attaching an Axiom full metal ceiling bracket to it.

Another less elegant but possibly simpler option I’m considering is just to mount shelf rails and make shelves out of two pieces of angled aluminum to hold the front and back of the QS8 leaving the bottom open for the driver. But this wouldn’t allow the speaker to be aimed the way an articulating arm would.

Another variation on the shelf would be instead of mounting a shelf to the shelf rails, mount a sliding rail which has a full metal wall bracket attached.

BTW if you find an inexpensive way of doing this elegantly please share because this one is really pissing me off. I’m sure there is a simple way like a power tool mount or some other type of articulating arm that comes on a sliding rail that could easily be automated if it didn’t come with that option already. I just haven’t looked enough to find it.
Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 01:53 AM
My dad had a decent idea of using slatwalls, like they use for displaying shoes on walls at stores. There's a nice variety of looks for it, and you could make it work with your decor. Maybe not as slick as being able to slide the speaker around willy-nilly, but I still like the idea. I'm just not sure how hard it would be to find something that slips into a slatwall that you could mount the speaker to, or how much weight a slatwall is rated for. Stuff to look into, I suppose. Of course, running the cable would be an issue, but it would be an issue for the sliding speaker mount, too.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 02:11 AM
Charles, there are some garage "organizational" systems that work like that. They allow you to hang cabinets in various spots for example.

Another idea would be to run a french cleat along the wall, allowing you to at least change direction horizontally.

Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 02:33 AM
I do like the term "french cleat." Oh la la. What's sad is that I have ceiling brackets for all of my QS8s for when I move my system to the basement, so I'll probably end up using those, especially considering the walls will probably be too far away from the seating, at least for the rear surrounds. I guess I was still curious about this idea, though.
Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 02:43 AM
Even if I don't use the slatwall idea for flexible speaker placement, I may use it for some media shelving. I'll have to find some swanky-looking slatwalls.
Posted By: grunt Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 03:09 AM
Both the cleats and slat wall ideas are nice. I think the slat wall is my new favorite. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 03:20 AM
Rock on, Dean. I hope you beat me to the punch with it.
Posted By: Murph Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 08:06 PM
Or maybe you build a room that slides while your seat stays static.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/12/10 08:41 PM
Mark's French cleat (that's Francais for "camel toe," I think)
is pretty close to a wall slat system. Just flip the top board around and your reveal is a sliding dovetail.

If one were satisfied with inelegant for set up, it wouldn't be that difficult to whip somthing together, then permanently place speakers where you liked best. A couple of hd fully articulating ball joints, etc.

The remote part's a bitch----servos, relays, 12v power...
Have you checked out the international slave trade lately?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/13/10 04:41 AM
I'm thinking galvanized steel "wallpaper" and strong magnetic mounts might do the trick. \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/13/10 04:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay
... French cleat (that's Francais for "camel toe," I think)

\:D
Posted By: BobKay Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/13/10 04:55 AM
I really like the steel wallpaper/magnets idea (you know, they make magnetic paint now). However, I'm still leaning toward the slave trade. They can be ordered in just about any height and color you like. You could dress 'em up to match the sofa throw pillows, I suppose, but I would prefer a natural look. Though there's something to be said for painting them to match the walls, so they'll sort of disappear. And the baffle posibilities provided by head and body hair, wow! You may even find a way to conceal the wires, too, if you don't mind "doctoring" them up a little. And, I'll bet, if you travel around a bit looking, that you could get 'em for not much more than Axiom's stands.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sliding speaker mount - 04/13/10 05:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay
Though there's something to be said for painting them to match the walls, so they'll sort of disappear.

Here's a Chinese guy who will even paint himself!
© Axiom Message Boards