Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph Mouse Attack - 04/16/10 04:23 PM
An odd thing happened to me late yesterday afternoon. My cordless mouse started heating up in my hand. At first I thought it was me then it got very unusually warm. I probably would have turned off a larger electrical appliance at this point but hey, it's only 2 AA batteries so I didn't feel overly threatened plus I was still not 100% sure I wasn't imagining it.

Eventually, the mouse quit. I popped open the battery cover and my hand became covered in white alkaline, carbon-zinc stuff or whatever it was. I'm assuming the heat was from the goop being plentiful enough and conductive enough that it shorted something out.

Being more curious than smart, I cleaned it out and put in new batteries. It's working fine today. Just glad it wasn't my car battery.
Posted By: Argon Re: Mouse Attack - 04/16/10 04:32 PM
Sounds like the aliens locked onto Spock's Tricorder - Murph's Mouse?
Posted By: Dave M Re: Mouse Attack - 04/16/10 04:41 PM
Were they rechargable alkalines? I made the mistake of getting a bunch of them a few years ago (two different brands) and had leaks in about 20% of them. I always used the correct Rechargable Alkaline charger, and just determined they were simply a crappy product. My NiMH 2500MAh and regular alkalines are now the staple of what I use.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Mouse Attack - 04/16/10 06:06 PM

Posted By: a401classic Re: Mouse Attack - 04/17/10 06:08 PM
That's Awesome!!! Love it, Tom. My 17 yr old walked by as I was scrolling down and heard me laugh... "Dad, I'm worried about you..."

Scott
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Mouse Attack - 04/17/10 06:35 PM
That's really funny!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Mouse Attack - 04/17/10 06:55 PM
I've never actually seen a photographic documentation of cross-species mating. I wonder, though, about the psychological consequences to the offspring.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Mouse Attack - 04/17/10 07:55 PM
Cross species?

You're talking about wired and wireless, right?
Posted By: Murph Re: Mouse Attack - 04/19/10 02:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave M
Were they rechargable alkalines? I made the mistake of getting a bunch of them a few years ago (two different brands) and had leaks in about 20% of them. I always used the correct Rechargable Alkaline charger, and just determined they were simply a crappy product. My NiMH 2500MAh and regular alkalines are now the staple of what I use.

Nope, they were not rechargeable. The mouse is still working fine today so at least I know it was just a bad battery.

I tried to find a pic of a fuzzy mouse warmer I saw once that looked a lot like it might be the offspring of the pic above. Couldn't find it.
© Axiom Message Boards