Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joebob M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/25/10 05:37 PM
Is anyone using a Pioneer SC-27 and M80's? I've been suffering AVR upgrade-itis and I've been eyeing the Pioneer. I currently have a an older Denon and it drives the M80's fine but I can get a pretty good deal on the the Pioneer versus a comparable spec Denon.

I just want to make sure the Pioneer will handle the 4 ohm load.

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/25/10 05:57 PM
Hi Joe, if I'm not mistaken(double check), both Tom(tuttle) and Catbrat are using "lower" model Pioneers to power their Axiom's(not M80s however) without complaints. I know that's probably not too helpfull being different speakers, but the receiver you're referring to is quite a step up from the ones they are using. I know Alan usually recommends some of the other brands, you might also pm him and get his opinion.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/25/10 06:11 PM
I think Tom (Tuttle) has an Onkyo.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/25/10 06:33 PM
Mine is the lowest cost of the Elites VSX-21THX. The MSRP is $800. I only power the M22's, but I haven't heard any complaints with this one from anyone.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/26/10 01:36 AM
Joe, any modern receiver can "handle" a 4 ohm load(which incidentally, the M80 isn't over the majority of its frequency range); the question is how loud and how long. If your Denon drives your M80s at the levels which you use, there's no good reason to suspect that the SC-27 wouldn't do equally well in that regard.
Posted By: Joebob Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/26/10 09:48 AM
Thank all of you for the replies. I think I am going to give the Pioneer a try.
Posted By: cb919 Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/26/10 07:02 PM
Hi Joe,
You might want to read one of my previous posts for some background info. I have experience with the SC-05 and it's successor the SC-25. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I'll be interested to read your review if you end up trying one.

Cheers,
Posted By: Joebob Re: M80's and Pioneer SC-27 - 04/26/10 11:24 PM
Thanks Dan. That thread was an interesting read but now I'm having second thoughts. I've had 3 Denons in a row and was thinking of trying a Pioneer this time. Decisions...
© Axiom Message Boards