Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:17 AM
Over the last few months I've been getting some new gear, and trying to finally get my setup in our living room as optimal as possible. To be honest since moving into the new house (nearly a year and a half now!) I just plopped the gear down and haven't really tweaked anything.

Well, I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR876, and a Panasonic TC-P65V10 tv. Just got the tv setup yesterday (temp till I get it wall mounted) and thought I'd get everything tweaked up tonight and watch a blu-ray movie. I put in Quantum of Solace...WOW did the picture look AMAZING! But I noticed a lack up umpf from the sub. I walked over to the sub to check and low & behold it wasn't a lack of umpf, it was not doing anything at all!

I'd run through all the channel leveling, and the sub was clearly working while setting the channel levels. But during playback, nothing. ??? I tried stereo music, again no sound from the sub. The only time I seem to get any signal to the sub is when I check the levels with pink noise. If I'm playing anything back I get nothing.

I've turned on/off the Audessey EQ feature, I've turned on/off THX settings, everything I can think of.

Any ideas?

oh...it's an EP500 sub.

Thanks!

-Craig
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:51 AM
Craig, I'm thinking it's got to be a setting within the Onkyo. I'm not familiar with them, unfortunately.

Is the sub level set too high in the Onkyo? And normal playback is not enough to wake up the sub?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:55 AM
hrrmm...lemme try that.
Posted By: BobKay Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 05:02 AM
There's a function in the Onkyo settings that has an on/off toggle for Double Bass. It should work on one setting or the other. I couldn't get a signal to my sub either when I first set it all up. It's in with the LFE choices. Good luck.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 05:11 AM
ah..that wasn't it, but I just figured it out. It was my output setting on my PS3. Yeah! I've got boom! (er...I mean that in a good way. \:\)
Posted By: BobKay Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 05:14 AM
Great, Craig! I love my 500, too! Thrash on!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 05:24 AM
Glad you got it figured out, Craig!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 03:48 PM
Whew.

I couldn't think of anything to suggest last night. So, I used my tried-and-true method - sometimes, if you ignore a problem long enough, it goes away.

With some help from somebody besides me \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:01 PM
It's always the PS-3! \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:02 PM
I've always said you can't trust Sony.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: No sound from sub - 04/28/10 04:07 PM
That's not true, Ken.

Sometimes, you say "ouch".
© Axiom Message Boards