Axiom Home Page
Posted By: elsewhere On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 06:37 PM
Hey guys,

Could anyone post more descriptive detail on what the process is to mount the W22 and Vp150 center ONTO a wall?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 07:17 PM
Are you talking about the in-wall/on-wall hybrid speakers (which require a rectangular hole in the wall), or the new on-wall surface mount speakers? If it's the latter, then the on-wall M22 uses this cool bracket:

You screw that into the wall in the desired location, attach the speaker wire to it, then the M22 clips onto the horizontal metal pieces. This takes care of the physical mounting and the electrical connections at once.

The on-wall VP150 uses a pair of T-brackets like this:

The VP150 has tabs on the rear that slide onto the brackets:

Posted By: elsewhere Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 07:50 PM
On the wall. I don't want to cut a hole in the wall \:\)

Do you have a picture of the bass port on this model?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 08:08 PM
How do you plan to route wire to the speaker, up the wall? For the new onwall bracket a very small hole would be required for a nice clean installation.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 09:18 PM
Here's a picture of the bottom of one of my on-wall M22s
Posted By: pmbuko Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 09:19 PM
I tried to put my wire in the wall by drilling two holes (one at the speaker location and one near the baseboard), but when I ran my fishing line down, I hit a horizontal stud. I'm not quite ready to cut the drywall away to bore a hole through it, but I may get there. For now, my wires are exposed.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 09:20 PM
"My God. It's full of stars!"
Posted By: Glitchy Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 10:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I tried to put my wire in the wall by drilling two holes (one at the speaker location and one near the baseboard), but when I ran my fishing line down, I hit a horizontal stud. I'm not quite ready to cut the drywall away to bore a hole through it, but I may get there. For now, my wires are exposed.

Do you have a crawl space or basement? Or attic from above? Lowes has Greenlee Low Voltage bits with extensions (but they are sort of proud of them), you can get there!
Posted By: elsewhere Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 10:36 PM
I did not know this. This is great info. I think for this reason, it kills this idea for me.

Originally Posted By: sirquack
How do you plan to route wire to the speaker, up the wall? For the new onwall bracket a very small hole would be required for a nice clean installation.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 10:37 PM
Well, no matter how you're going to mount speakers on your wall, you're going to have to get signal to them somehow!
Posted By: fredk Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/07/10 10:57 PM
There is always paintable flat wire.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/08/10 03:07 AM
No crawl space or basement -- concrete slab. The attic is above the second floor.

One day I will get past my avoidance of doing drywall work.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/08/10 10:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
No crawl space or basement -- concrete slab. The attic is above the second floor.

One day I will get past my avoidance of doing drywall work.

For me (I'll do any construction work, but) Drywall work = Sub-contractor!
Posted By: Potatohead Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/09/10 04:10 PM
Drywall is ok, except for the ceiling, that's a major PITA, especially if you're not pop-corning it. I must have spent close to 12 hours just on my theatre room ceiling alone and it's still not perfect, but the fact it's flat and black I think it was doomed from the beginning
Posted By: pmbuko Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/09/10 05:35 PM
Instead of popcorn, you can apply a layer of sand-textured paint to the ceiling. It looks a lot nicer than the popcorn and hides surface imperfections pretty well. I did this in my living room because there was a visible seam running across the middle and I sure wasn't going to re-drywall it. The texture really did a good job hiding it. I used this Behr paint, applied it to the ceiling with a looped texture roller, then knocked down the peaks with a wide plastic drywall knife. It looks close to the picture below, but I moved the trowel mostly in the same direction, so my ceiling looks a bit less busy than this.

Posted By: jakewash Re: On Wall Mounting - 06/09/10 11:31 PM
I like a knock-down ceiling in place of popcorn.
© Axiom Message Boards