Axiom Home Page
Posted By: snazzed A piece of advice for those of you with kids - 06/21/10 10:25 PM
If your reciever or Amps have a Max Volume setting... set it.

Yesterday while watching a movie with my kids in the basement, my toddler daughter put her feet on the armrest... or rather on the Volume Up button on my AVR Remote.

I did't know my Denon would go to +17. Thats as far as if got before I lept off the couch and grabbed the Volume knob on the unit and cranked down as fast as I could!

I am now deaf but my Max Volume setting is now set to "0".

snazzed

Side note: I've listened to each of my speakers closely to see if I can hear any damage caused by clipping. I think we're ok. Need to give them another listen though just to be sure.
I set mine to "0" soon after I found out my AVR had that feature.
I think I have mine set to around +18.
I wish mine had that feature. At least mine's behind plexiglas, but my kids love the remote.
 Originally Posted By: snazzed
If your reciever or Amps have a Max Volume setting... set it.

Yesterday while watching a movie with my kids in the basement, my toddler daughter put her feet on the armrest... or rather on the Volume Up button on my AVR Remote.

I did't know my Denon would go to +17. Thats as far as if got before I lept off the couch and grabbed the Volume knob on the unit and cranked down as fast as I could!

I am now deaf but my Max Volume setting is now set to "0".

snazzed

Side note: I've listened to each of my speakers closely to see if I can hear any damage caused by clipping. I think we're ok. Need to give them another listen though just to be sure.

It is a great feature on Denon AVR's. I find it very useful not only if you have kids but also if you are having a party with a lot of people in the house. Adult guests in your HT area are just as bad as children in this regards - careless and idiotic.
I use programmable remotes. On two separate occasions, with two separate receivers the damn remote went batshit and pegged the receivers out with my M80’s in relatively small rooms and me in there with them. First time was an HK 7200 and second one was the 3808 with 300 WPC / 4 ohm amps. It is a horrifying experience when not expecting it to happen that is sure to soil a person's britches. This is great advice….. My 3808 is set to 0, which is still about 100 db’s.
Posted By: Wid Re: A piece of advice for those of you with kids - 06/22/10 01:00 AM

I set my Onkyo's max volume @ O also.
I gave my kids up for adoption prior to their 5th birthday ... and for a good reason.
Were there any takers?
Yeah, my 3 year old likes to play with the volume knob on my EP500 occasionally. I forget who suggested it on here for me, but I now have the calibrated position protected with duct tape!

Now I need to look into the amp setting, that had not ocurred to me before. Good advice!
We had to do that with the knob on our chest freezer after I opened it one morning and found water dripping off the lid. Inside. Then looked at the knob and found our 3 year old had turned it off.
When my oldest son was 2 he turned up the setting on the bar fridge and it froze everything that was inside, the cans even burst open, what a mess.
Apparently my youngest isn't limited to the sub either. We have a table radio in the kitchen and when we turned it on the other day the volume was set to max - what a way to wake up!

Rick, can I interest you in a 3 year old?
Oh yeah, our four year old is always cranking the kitchen radio to Max. Luckily, even at max, the cheap thing doesn't get too loud.

He likes to have "Dance Parties". Really, its just him flailing about and throwing himselfon the floor. Fun to watch though.

snazzed
I have my Max set at -25. On a newer CD that nets me 105dB, on an older CD its 'only' 97bB. Either way, loud enough to know it's too loud to listen at those levels for any length of time, and low enough to not damage anything.

Scott
I have my Denon 1610 set to -10 db.
© Axiom Message Boards