Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fullerms what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/29/10 02:07 AM
Hi all,

As above. What would be the minimum distance required from either side of the tv screen if I want the best sound stage the M22s can offer?

And should I be putting them on stands, or can I put them on a book shelf or low console? The tweeters will be at ear level for all 3 cases.

I'm planning the renovation on my newly purchased house, and I want to get this right before starting work.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/29/10 02:13 AM
Try the "Articles" section.

Here's one example from it that might help.
Posted By: JohnK Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/29/10 05:05 AM
MS, the distance from the TV screen isn't the relevant factor. The most common suggestion is that the speakers should be separated by about the same distance as your listening spot is from them.

No, they don't necessarily have to be placed on stands if they're at the correct height, but if you place them on something else, they shouldn't be recessed into the supporting surface. For example, if they were placed on a shelf, the front edge of the speaker should extend a fraction of an inch forward of the shelf edge, to minimize diffractions and reflections from the shelf surface.
Posted By: fullerms Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/30/10 02:37 AM
ok thanks for the inputs guys. Will plan on putting the speakers on a low console.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/30/10 03:43 AM
I maintain 10 feet between M22's L/R, which is also approximately 10 feet from my main listening position. You may want to experiment with degreees of toe-in to dial in the best stereo blend of L/R. I have a U-shaped sectional, and to avoid having direct impact from either L or R speaker, I angled them in somewhat. Your room's seating setup and acoustic reflections may vary. Also make sure the tweeters are at ear level when seated!
Posted By: jakewash Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 06/30/10 05:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Nachosgrande
Also make sure the tweeters are at ear level when seated!
or at least as close as possible, if not possible, angle the speakers up or down to direct them towards the listening position.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: what's the best way to place M22s? - 07/01/10 01:13 PM
Full, the best position is what works for your room, you need to experiment with different locations to find what sounds best. Every room is different, and seating distances are different. John gave you a good rule of thumb above as to the seperation, and your comment on ear level is spot on.
© Axiom Message Boards