Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/23/03 11:45 PM
I've got a severe case of upgraditis. I think many of you here probably can understand.

Here's what I currently have:

Rotel RSP-1066 processor
Rotel RB-1075 amp (120x5)
Axiom M22 (mains)
Axiom VP150 (center)
Polk Audio LS f/x (surrounds)
Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer

As much as I really enjoy my M22ti's (read my previous posts and you'll know) I've been listening to more and more speakers, and really dug the sound of the Veritas 2.2's. They have an absurd msrp of $1500, but I'm close to finding a pair for under $900 - possibly even less. It's hard to pass up.

BUT - I have also been wanting to make the jump to 7.1 from 5.1. To do that, I'll need to purchase another amp. (Probably a used Rotel RB-991 (200x2)) and then a pair of QS8's. This upgrade idea is going to cost closer to $1100.

I realize I'm asking the wrong group of people, but I've cross posted this question in other boards - what would you do? Why?

Thanks!

Posted By: Saturn Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 05:23 AM
Hey spiffnme

As like you I have also have Rotel products. I am also going in your direction. I already have upgraded my M22Ti to other front mains. I am looking for another 2 channel amp or 2 mono blocks and drive my front mains with them. Looking into a Acurus 2x200W(sales/used on Audiogon), Outlaw 2 x M200 M-blocks or Anthem MCA2 2x200 . If you were planning to get a 2 channel amp and it had more power than your current amp might as well let it run the 2 front mains which might give it more headroom when cranking it up for stereo mode.

http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/200.html
http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/AnthemProduct/MCASeries/MCASeriesHome.html
http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index2.asp?path=/products/mondial/index.asp?frame=y&id=&line=&1

I will also be retrofitting my surrounds with QS4 or QS8 because I have not heard any other brands that can best it at even close to twice the price for a HT environment. I had QS4's and a buddy of mine liked it soo much that he bought it from me after a nice sessions of movies. I will be replacing it with new ones once I moved into my new place in 5 months. I want to match the color of the rears with the wall. Since my new place is new construction I have no idea what colors the rear walls/windows will look like.

Saturn

ps: if you like the veritas a lot I would like to get your opinion on the Veritas vs a PMC TB2. Thats only if you have time and if theses type of speakers in your area. The TB2 is only $150-$180 cheaper retail. Also if you have a chance to compare against the smaller DB1 mini monitors

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/tb2.html

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 06:02 AM
Those Anthems look pretty nice.
How much?

Rotel is one brand that i have not had the opportunity to audition yet. I like the looks and specs of their stuff though.
I also wouldn't mind hearing those Energy speakers. The last pair i heard i liked but it was a brief listening session and in a big box store. They were not the Veritas.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 06:33 AM
I listened to the Energy C-3's before buying my M22's and it was a close contest. The Axiom's won out though. (Their detail in the mids/highs was too good to pass up.)

The Veritas line of Energy speakers is like night and day compared to the connoisseur series. Night and Day prices though too!

Most everyone has been suggesting I go with the speaker upgrade - and that's the way I was leaning too - I'll let you know what happens.

Posted By: BigWill Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 03:28 PM
Why not get some M60s or M80s for up front, use your M22s as side surrounds, and just get any old two channel amp or receiver to drive those rear surrounds. I'm sure those Energy speakers can't compare to Axiom's best! Anyway, that's what I would do (and put in a wet bar, plasma big screen, and a mirrored disco ball).
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 03:47 PM
I intend to listen to some M60's before I make the jump.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 03:48 PM
I went with the Anthem PVA-5 5 channel amplifier for the front 5 speakers (giant Klipsch KCF-C7 center, M60 like fronts, M50 like side surrounds), and a vintage Kenwood KA-9100 silver faced amp with big meters for the back surrounds (pair of Mission 77ds's). A pair of amplified subs fill out the bottom octaves.

Works really well, though I'd like to upgrade to a pair of QS8s for the side surrounds and move the M50 like speakers to the back surround positions.

I use the Onkyo 797 as a processor/preamp.

Outboard amps make the system sound better than it did when using the 797's amplifiers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 03:56 PM
What's an M50 and M60 like speaker?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 04:48 PM
That would be the M60 like Michaura M665 and M50 like Michaura M66. They are wonderful, and very, very much like the Axioms. Ask no more.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 06:25 PM
Chess:

Anthem (in canadian approx)
PVA 2 850-970
PVA 5 1400-1600
MCA 20 1250 - 1350

Its a little pricey so I'm looking around for a used model which has come and gone on Audiogon from time to time.

Saturn
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 08:10 PM
Actually, i don't think those prices are too bad at all. I was expecting them to be pricier.
An Anthem 5 way amp for $1500 Cdn is pretty good. The MCA line appears a bit more robust but i guess it depends on what speakers you are planning on using.
Audiogon certainly does have some good bargains from time to time although in doing a search yesterday, there was not a whole ton in the way of Anthem gear.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 08:35 PM
If you feel like making the drive from LA to Corona, you are welcome to hear my M60s. They're hooked up to a Denon 2802, so they would probably sound even better with your gear.
Posted By: sushi Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/24/03 09:14 PM
Off the topic, but what you guys think of the smaller VMPS speakers (under, say, $2K/pair)? Are then as highly acclaimed as their more expensive models?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Need some advice - upgrade quandry - 06/25/03 08:20 PM
OK, snagged the final 2 channel amp for my office HT system, so I can now share what I think is a terrific bargain in an outboard amplifier.

The Onkyo M282. I picked a few up from ubid for $130 each. These are manufacturer refurbished. If you check out the Onkyo website, go to shop onkyo, and you will see a refurbished section. You can get an M282 for $209. If you have any other Onkyo products register them and you'll get 5 points for each. Signing up gets you 10 points. Each point is worth $1. I had 25 points so the M282 I just picked up today cost $200 with shipping and tax.

I'm currently using a pair of M282s with a Sony STRDB1070 serving as a processor/preamp. I use the onboard Sony internal amp for the center channel speaker, the outboard 2 channel Onkyos for front and side surrounds.

The new M282 will drive the center and a single back surround speaker. I have an Axiom made Merak MC6H horn center channel speaker and 4 M22 like speakers, helped by a 15" Dahlquist sub. Sounds ridiculously good. Can't wait to hear how the new amp and back surround will add to the system's goodness. (Hopefully.)

I'll report back.
© Axiom Message Boards