Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HTGEEK Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 05:56 PM
I am in the process of hooking up my new M80's and I was curious how far away from the wall they need to be? In the past it wasn't an issue because I always had a TV on a stand, but now I have the TV mounted.

Thanks...

Jeff
Posted By: bdpf Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 06:19 PM
I have mine about 4" from the wall but I think 2" is enough from what I've read in other threads.
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 07:06 PM
Thanks..I am at 5.5 inches which is good..

Man that 180 Center is even bigger in person...lol
Posted By: grunt Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 08:07 PM
If you have the time and space you might want to play around with the positioning. Proximity to room surfaces can have a profound effect on a speakers performance. It will always in some way colour the sound and also effects the soundstage. For a start you might want to read this article:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/stereo_setup.html

There are many more resources out there.

I mention placement because IMO the M80s are more picky than some other speakers about placement as Sean and I both noticed:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...true#Post305946

Quote:

First I was shocked at how much of a difference repositioning the M80s made in their soundstage when compared to the Loreleis. I’ve experienced that the M80s are somewhat finicky with placement. I’ve also read a couple professional reviews supporting that opinion. However, I’ve never placed them as close together in this room as our first test nor had another brand of speakers in this room to reference them against. Where the Loreleis were throwing sound out about a foot outside each speaker the M80s sound was coming from them. So that when we repositioned the speakers with the M80s on the outside both speakers sound stages seemed about the same width. We did not play with toe-in or anything else to see how things changed. If there is a lesson to be learned by potential and current owners play around with your speaker positioning.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 09:38 PM
I agree. The sound presentation changed dramatically when we moved the M80s.
Posted By: CV Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/17/10 09:41 PM
Sometimes hard to find the Gräfenberg Spot.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/18/10 03:30 PM
Every room is different, so you will want to experiment with different driver distances from the side walls and walls behind the speakers, as well as toe in angle. I have about 8" of space behind my M80's and 20" between the side walls.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/18/10 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: HTGEEK
Thanks..I am at 5.5 inches which is good..

Man that 180 Center is even bigger in person...lol

you did see my pictures with the 150 on top of the 180 didn't you?!?!?!

there wasn't any photoshopping crazy
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Distance from the wall with M80's - 07/19/10 12:47 AM
I sure did but it was even more mind blowing in person...

Funny story. When I opened it and was sliding it out of the box, it smashed my foot. My fiance asked me what happened and I told her I dropped the center channel on my foot. She replied that their would be no way that would hurt. Then she saw the size of it...LOL
© Axiom Message Boards