Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Boombox - 07/23/10 05:03 AM
At some point, I want a boombox with decent sound that can pull music over my network or from USB drives. At home I could always have it connected to the network for the music, but if I ever take it somewhere, it would be great to play from USB. Right now I'm thinking I should Frankenstein one together with my dad's help. It would have a Squeezebox Touch at the center, M3s as the speakers and perhaps a T-amp to drive them. My dad could help me build something to let them live together... or I could hire one of you. What do you think of this idea? How would you approach it?

Obviously, my funds are tied up for now, but it's something I've been wanting for a while. I thought it would be fun to discuss, even if I don't use the feedback right away.
Posted By: Shane White Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 06:47 AM
What about a Squeezebox Boom?
Posted By: CV Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 06:50 AM
That would be easier and cheaper, but I'm just not sure about the sound quality. smile Do you know anyone who has one?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 12:39 PM
How about Audiobytes with SqueezeBox?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 02:04 PM
You're talking a boombox and worrying about sound quality?
Posted By: Murph Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: EFalardeau

I like this idea. If single box is a requirement, you could glue the Audiobytes to the Squeezebox....... smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 02:22 PM
Duct tape. Arr-Arr-Arrrrr.....
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 02:28 PM
Gaffer tape. Since I got a roll of that, I'll never use duct tape again.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 02:38 PM
Try to convince the average person to spend $20 on a roll of tape, though.....
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 03:00 PM
Who here is average? Demand better than average tape. smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 03:06 PM
I use frogtape myself.
Posted By: CV Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
You're talking a boombox and worrying about sound quality?

Every one I've ever owned has sucked miserably. It makes me sad to use the one at work. Anything I put together is going to match my main system, but it should be reasonable to make something that's a lot better than what I've owned, I would think.
Posted By: CV Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 05:00 PM

The AudioByte speakers themselves are nice and small, but the amp/volume control is bulkier than I would want. Of course, I don't know how big the T-amps are. M3s also wouldn't require you to be so nearfield. M80s would work much better in our storeroom, but I'm not going to pack those to work.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 05:15 PM
I think what you really need is a self-deploying cabinet with anti-grav support! wink Easy to transport, push one button and full 5.1 Axiom EP80-180-800 deployed! That might actually win some sort of award... Forget it, I'm filing a patent!

You might want to also consider M2s.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 05:20 PM
I think what you really need is a self-deploying cabinet with anti-grav support! wink Easy to transport, push one button and full 5.1 Axiom EP80-180-800 deployed! That might actually win some sort of award... Forget it, I'm filing a patent!

You might want to also consider M2s.

Or good headphones...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Boombox - 07/23/10 11:55 PM
You're crazed.

But in an interesting way.
Posted By: CV Re: Boombox - 07/24/10 05:45 AM
Eric really is.
© Axiom Message Boards