Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 80'sMan Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 05:55 AM
Here's a Canadian company I just stumbled on while net surfing, Funky Waves. Anyone have any experience with or heard their speakers?
Do they mainly focus on custom cabinet designs? Just wondering to what level they do accoustic research in their designs.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 07:03 AM
Well, judging by this , their acoustic research is on a bit different level than that of Axiom.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 11:43 AM
They are known for custom made subwoofers. And judging from the drivers,amplifiers, cabinet designs and finishes used they are very high quality products. Funky waves seems more like a business model where a DIY set up a small business. Had no idea they built speakers though.

If you go to post #22 in this thread you can see one of their custom subs in the signature line I believe.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67724&page=3
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 11:49 AM
If you go here it seems this is where they spec'd their subwoofers designs from. http://www.funkywaves.net/custom.cfm

I believe this individual referenced is currently employed by Genelec in their R&D department.
Posted By: fredk Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 02:40 PM
Nathan looks like a younger version of Ian, who was also originally a DIY guy who set up a small business. The subs he builds get good reviews and he uses quality drivers, but I have not seen anything on his other speakers.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 08:35 PM
I recall seeing a couple of those subs online, last year.
Posted By: fredk Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 08:54 PM
One of the serious sub-oholics over at avsforum owns two of Nathan's subs and is quite happy with them. I remember seeing a series of pictures of one of his mains during a build. His manufacturing skills seem quite high.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/16/10 11:06 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Well, judging by this , their acoustic research is on a bit different level than that of Axiom.

They're certainly doing some interesting things with MDF wink
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone ever heard of Funk Waves? - 08/17/10 06:41 AM
Of course, there's always the ever funky, Funk Vector Turntable.

© Axiom Message Boards