Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kordeo M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 09:34 PM
I am planning on buying Axiom M-80's. I just got informed that I could buy a pair of used but immaculate M-80s v2 for $750 CAD, 8' bi-wire cables included. This would be a big savings over the $1300+ with HST I'd spend from Axiom Outlet on a pair of v3's. Now, I'd like black speakers, the used ones are cherry. I could probably live with that.

The big question is if the v2 vs v3 upgrade is worth the $600 price difference. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 09:40 PM
Hi kordeo,

From what I have gathered the V2 to V3 transition is mostly a cosmetic refresh - white/aluminum coloured dustcaps and magnetic grilles. In regards to the M80, the on-axis frequency response graph is also slightly more linear with the V3.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: kordeo
The big question is if the v2 vs v3 upgrade is worth the $600 price difference. What are your thoughts?

Hopefully after this weekend many forum members will be able to tell you more about the sonic differences.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 09:50 PM
How old are the v2s?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 10:51 PM
A lot depends on the age of the V2's, they may be close to V3's already. Oh yeah, the biwire does nothing, fyi...
Posted By: kordeo Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash

Hopefully after this weekend many forum members will be able to tell you more about the sonic differences.

What's going on this weekend, a big Axiom party?
I'm gunna look into the age thing on them. And yeah, I know, that bi-wiring thing..I shouldn't even have mentioned that :P
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/08/10 11:20 PM
My general inclination would be towards the v2s, but I'm cheap.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 12:25 AM
No one can answer that except for yourself and only if you have heard each speaker.

My M80V2's are 5 years old and love the way they sound. I don't think I need to spend an extra $6.00 yet alone $600.00 to imporve their sound.

So for me, I would probably go with the used V2's and enjoy a fantastic speaker at a fantastic price, then take the saved $600 and put it towards a VP180 or 2nd sub or... you get the idea.

It's your money and your choice!

paul
Posted By: Nashvegas Rocks Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 01:00 AM
I 2nd the notion for adding a 2nd sub :-)
Posted By: kordeo Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 03:02 AM
Cool idea, getting a sub. I actually don't have A sub period. I'm just planning on using it for music listening tho, so I'll first see if I even need a sub.. from what I read, probably I won't need one.

And.. the speakers were purchased in September 2007
Posted By: speedbump Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 03:27 AM
Another confessed cheapskate here, and I'd go for the V2s. I think you'll be pleased with them and it is a significant savings.

In fact I recently made a similar decision and bought some used M22Ti/VP150 over saving up for a new set. I'm very pleased with their sound, and yours (under consideration) being V2 are a step closer to current specs.

(I do reserve the right to change my mind and upgrade in the future smile )
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 09:25 AM
Get the v2's, mine are vintage 2007 and sound great to me. I would then, as the others have mentioned, buy a sub. A good sub like the EP350 or EP500, SVS, Elemental Designs, Epik are also very good subs for the budget controlled purchaser. The M80s will play most of the low end for music, if you ever do some HT with them a good sub does it better and lower.
Posted By: casey01 Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/09/10 03:09 PM
I mentioned on an another thread that back a few months ago I traded in a pair of V2 M60s for V3 M80s and, in the end, I was surprised how similar they sounded. Obviously, my choice would be to save yourself the money and buy the V2 M80s. The idea of buying a sub, especially for HT, is a good one.

I would add, however, that although "Jakewash" has made some excellent recommendations, it is important to note the "Epik" line sells only in the US along with a recent set-up of a distributorship in Europe but, unlike pretty well all the other online companies in the US, for some strange reason, still not to Canada. Kind of ironic considering the fact that from their inception(I am not sure with their current product), they used "BASH" amps in their models, built by Indigo Manufacturing in Toronto.
Posted By: kordeo Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/10/10 12:08 AM
note to myself: i will not research subwoofers before I've even heard m80's playing music in my house..
Posted By: Worfzara Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/10/10 02:26 AM
Good idea!

But I probably would sneak a peak or two.

paul
Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/10/10 03:01 AM
I love my 2007 m80v2s but if I could pay 600 bucks and trade them for v3s I'd do it. Also, I'm not sure if the warranty is good if u are not the original owner but someone else may know more on that.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/10/10 09:12 AM
Warranty is good for original owner only
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M80 V2 vs V3 $$ Saving Dilemma - 09/10/10 01:36 PM
note to myself: i will not research subwoofers before I've even heard m80's playing music in my house..

For music listening only, you can get away without using a sub with a full range floorstander. For home theater especially with the demanding low frequency content of many Blu-ray titles, a subwoofer is always needed no matter what speakers you have.
© Axiom Message Boards