Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CatBrat M3 port - 09/18/10 01:57 AM
My son has a pair of M3's sitting on the TV stand that is a foot or more from the wall. My question is, can he make, say, an L shaped bracket that's as wide as the speaker and as tall as the speaker where it sits on the bracket giving about 1 inch of clearance behind the port. Will this increase the bass?
Posted By: JohnK Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 02:24 AM
Sure, Brian, at least a little, if you mean that the bracket will be directly on the wall, but first experiment. Use a stack of magazines or whatever and position the M3s an inch or so from the wall to sample the effect.

Edit: but if you mean what Randy suggested, then no. It's the relation to the wall itself which is significant. Just putting some object close to the port would have a negative effect, if any. Again though, experimentation is possible: stick a big heavy book or similar about an inch behind the port.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 02:41 AM
The rule of thumb for subs is one port diameter away from the wall to avoid port compression.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 02:44 AM
I think what he is saying John is to leave the speakers on the TV stand, but create a wide bracket behind them to simulate them being close to a wall.

I'm sure you might notice some improvement, but the wall is a lot larger overall and has more reinforcement. I don't know how thick, or what material your thinking about, but not sure it would have the same gains as an actual wall.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 04:32 AM
If that is what is intended, then it will have to be a VERY large bracket to deflect the longer wavelengths of bass frequencies. Bass sound waves will travel around a smaller object. Essentially you are deflecting a pressure wave.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 12:11 PM
He wants to leave them on the TV stand. There used to be a bookshelf behind the TV, I don't know if it's still there or not, I forgot to ask. When I asked him about them I discovered that he turns the bass up on the receiver. Then I remembered the ports, that they are just firing into thin air.

So, theoretically then I guess putting a plate behind the speaker, probably made out of 3/4 inch plywood, would not work then. It would have to be not much bigger than the speaker itself or it would take up too much space.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 12:15 PM
If he's turning up the bass, he needs a sub. It is, after all, just a bookshelf speaker.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 12:23 PM
The m3's should put out some good bass for 2 channel, but as Mark mentioned, a sub will help fill in the lower freq better.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 12:32 PM
I was trying to figure what to get him for Christmas this time, I was thinking a pair of QS8's, but maybe a sub would be better. It can't be Axiom, because I'm not going to be able to afford an EP350 for this and I wouldn't want to go smaller after my experience with the EP175. I know there are a lot of other ones to look at, I just need to keep the cost under $500.
Posted By: Wid Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 01:23 PM

There's the eD A2 300 along with the Hsu STF-2 and the Outlaw sub.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 01:49 PM
Of these 3, the Outlaw looks the best.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
I was trying to figure what to get him for Christmas this time,...

Sorry dude, the small slab of plywood is out. wink
Posted By: alan Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 03:54 PM
Yes, I agree. Getting a slab of plywood for Christmas would be like getting a pair of socks from my late aunt.

Besides, it won't work. You need a big wall behind the M3s to provide some bass gain. If he's cranking up the bass control on his receiver, he definitely needs a subwoofer.

Alan
Posted By: BobKay Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
Yes, I agree. Getting a slab of plywood for Christmas would be like getting a pair of socks from my late aunt. Alan

Hold on! Hold on! Some of us, and I think I'm speaking for a few others here as well, would l-o-v-e to get a slab of plywood for Xmas! a 3/4 x 4 x 8 sheet of A2 Bubinga or Zebrawood would make a super nice gift, please. Or maybe Olive Burl, even!
Posted By: alan Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 05:48 PM
Ha, ha. Olive Burl? Sounds like a character from a comic strip.

I think this thread has been derailed. It's perfectly alright if you want to play with your tools and plywood.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 06:21 PM
Shucks. I guess I'll have to break down and buy the subwoofer, then.

Looking at my avatar gives me a headache.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 06:33 PM

Do you think maybe my bass is too small?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 06:41 PM
If you do not want to spend a lot of money, you can pick up a 12" Dayton sub like this

to complement your M3's for about $155 shipped to your door.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M3 port - 09/18/10 06:56 PM
Dat dare is a Rock Bass no less.

Bob, I agree...I'm liking some of the exotic South American woods....make mine Cumaru please.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 01:55 AM
Looks like a chuffer.
Posted By: alan Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 02:29 PM
Up here in Northern Ontario, we call 'em Rock Bass, as Adrian pointed out.

Chuffer? Is that like a puffer (-fish)?
Posted By: fredk Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 03:39 PM
Puffer. Isn't that one of those marketing types. wink
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 03:52 PM
I think you're thinking of fluffer.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 04:01 PM
Wouldn't we all spend our days fishing if there were fluffer fish?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 04:12 PM
Probably, but the fact remains that all I'd catch would be scorpion fish and eels.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3 port - 09/19/10 07:45 PM
Hey Mark. Is your avatar having a brain fart or is it just spitting?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 04:54 AM
A chuffer is the kind of fish that occasionally infests the ports of badly-designed subs.
Posted By: CV Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 05:20 AM
If chuffers are a problem, you need to stuff the ports with three hams.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 06:41 AM
Dude, the top related video on that page is quite interesting.
Posted By: CV Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 06:48 AM
Ha ha, good call.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 01:55 PM
Belly up.
Posted By: alan Re: M3 port - 09/20/10 02:46 PM
LOL!

Alan
© Axiom Message Boards