Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pinoy168 VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 05:27 AM
Hello. Just curious if anyone has wall-mounted a VP180 above the screen. Is this at all possible? How would you suggest doing it? Thanks in advance ...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 01:02 PM
The most secure way to mount such a large, front-heavy speaker is probably to make a custom shelf that bolts directly into the studs. While a pair of Full Metal Brackets screwed into the cabinet and studs might do the trick, I'd be worried about the screws pulling out of the MDF over time.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 02:39 PM
I'd build a simple shelf using heavy duty L brackets. Install a small lip on the front of the shelf to prevent the speaker from spilling over the edge and then you can choose whatever material you want to prop up the back of the speaker so that it points downward properly.

If the shelf idea is too cumbersome, you could always attach three or four FMBs (or similar speaker mounts) to the back of the speaker and then attach those to the wall (to as many studs as possible). This should spread the weight out enough so as not to create too much sheering tension on any one screw. Oh, and use many screws to secure each speaker mount to the speaker (careful not to drill too deep into the cabinet).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 03:28 PM
Chains or cables supporting a shelf from the ceiling.

Yeah, Mrs. Tuttle didn't go for that, either.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:01 PM
There is no way that any quantity of FMBs will support that thing. It's 19 inches deep! I don't know which would fail first, the joint in the FMB, your wall, or the back of the speaker.
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:29 PM
I would use 4 FMBs and drill right through the MDF and use a nut and bolt right to the FMB, no way for this to fail except for the screws to pull out of the wall stud, which I highly doubt would ever happen with the correct screw installed.

2 FMBs on the back and 2 on the bottom like a shelf.

I think a full on shelf is the best way to go.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:30 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Ken, here.

Although I am NOT an engineer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:33 PM
If it is above the screen you could also support a shelf from the ceiling joist using chains or rope and set the speaker on it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:35 PM
Ken's not either, so you're good. He and I did study physics together, though, so the fact that I agree with him is not an independent validation. smile
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 04:51 PM
Seriously, FMB guys, the main weight is in the front of the speaker, in all those lovely magnets. The force it would be exerting on the back of the speaker would be tremendous.
Posted By: grunt Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 05:10 PM
Even if you could get Full Metal Brackets to hold that behemoth why would anyone pay that much money when mounting a shelf would relatively cost nothing.

Posted By: Adrian Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 05:37 PM
Go with a shelf with a lip or some sort of retainer at the front. It's more cost effective and safer.
Posted By: bdpf Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 06:36 PM
+1
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 06:37 PM
Like I said, rethought it and a shelf is the way to go and realistically the only way.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 06:59 PM
What do YOU guys know?

I'm the only one that's qualified as a structural engineer because I'm the only one of us that stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently!
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 08:18 PM
smile
Posted By: RickF Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/24/10 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: grunt
Even if you could get Full Metal Brackets to hold that behemoth why would anyone pay that much money when mounting a shelf would relatively cost nothing.

That was my thought exactly as I was reading the first page.
Posted By: michael_d Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/25/10 12:26 AM
Four stainless cables and turnbuckles to angle it is what I would use. Run a stick of oak or other hard wood from end to end, two inches longer than the speaker on each end; one at the rear and one at the front over the threaded inserts for the stands. Secure the hard wood strips with some cap screws into the threaded inserts. Run the cable through the ends of each board up to some lag eye bolts into ceiling studs. (not that I'm actually considering buying two 180s and hanging one smile )
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/25/10 01:39 AM
So, either you're lying or you've already ordered them, then. grin
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/25/10 04:55 AM
I want to see a pic once you have that 180 up in the air; great idea BTW.
Posted By: bridgman Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/25/10 05:10 AM
I'm thinking Unistrut...
Posted By: 72mustang Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 04:38 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of how they've mounted the vp150 on a wall without the Axiom brackets? I have the version 1 of the vp150. The center of the speaker has the wire connectors. There is no factory bracket for the wall bracket. If i wanted to use one, it would have to be about 4 inches off center, thus causing too much strain I think. Plus my wall stud is NOT where I need it. Im thinking of a shelf system like mentioned earlier in this thread. Anyone have any pictures? I dont want something that looks like bubba built it or some crap laminate that was purchased at Walmart either. LOL
Posted By: CatBrat Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 04:57 PM
I know it's a lot of extra work and it takes some time, but I would remove a section of the sheetrock and install a stud where I needed it, then repair the sheetrock. I would use some L brackets on the 2x4 made for this purpose and screws. Since you probably can't add a stud that goes all the way from top to bottom of the wall, I would first add a 2x4 as a header board that spans 2 studs, above the spot where you are going to mount the speaker, then a shorter stud that goes from this board to the bottom, all attached with L brackets and screws. Then once that's in place and solid, add the piece of sheetrock that you removed back and screwed in place. When removing the sheetrock, make sure that you remove a piece that's wide enough that you have plenty of room to screw it back into the studs. (When cutting it, go an inch or 2 beyond the studs.) Then widen the cracks with a knife making a V and fill in with drywall mud, let dry, sand and paint. (Probably take about a week).
Posted By: 72mustang Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 05:28 PM
Already thought to do that.. BUT.. I just finished this room from scratch in the basement from the floor up. Was initally going to go with wall mount tv and speaker on top of a cabinet below the tv.. but wife changed her mind and wants the tv on top of the cabinet now. Another problem is that the basement wall has a 4 foot heigth, then goes back 6 inches (frost wall thickness) then up another 4 to the ceiling. So with the tv on top of the cabinet now, it is acutally out about 2 feet from the top section of the wall where I need the speaker to go.

I though of just using a speaker stand in front of the tv for the center speaker and just move it back and forth when I need it, but this will be a pain in the ass.

So... redoing the wall is out of the question as Im done doing maintance in this room. haha
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 06:40 PM
With your challenges in plane, I'd definitely hang a shelf from the ceiling.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 06:50 PM
I was originally going to set the tv on the frost wall shelf and secure it to the back wall. Now with the tv on top of the cabinet ( 5 feet wide, 28in high ) the frost wall shelf is about half way up the tv. I have about 3 1/2 feet from the top of the tv to the ceiling (9 foot ceilings.. thought was 8 ) I will also have to bring the speaker OUT from the wall about 1 - 2 feet. I really dont want to hang, so Im hoping for a shelf type solution. Hopeing someone has a picture or two.

ps... how does one go and post pictures on here?
Posted By: michael_d Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
So, either you're lying or you've already ordered them, then. grin

Originally Posted By: jakewash
I want to see a pic once you have that 180 up in the air; great idea BTW.

I'm only thinking about it right now. Although that usually leads to me doing something.

I love having a center above and below the screen. I will not go back to one. The VP180, for my room, is simply too damn big. Going with two of them would be lunacy. I am hoping that Axiom will come out with another center, somewhere between the 150 and 180.
Posted By: CV Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Going with two of them would be lunacy.

I will send $10 to the first person who posts pics of their dual VP180 setup. Of course, they have to be in the picture giving a double thumbs-up.
Posted By: grunt Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 07:18 PM
Will a dual M80 and VP180 under and over respectively win the prize. wink
Posted By: CV Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 08:15 PM
That's worth $7.fiddy!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 09:42 PM
The VP180 is almost 60 lbs and 40" long.

I think you might want to consider what Ian did with his dual M80's on is dock. Sandwich the VP180 with some sheets of plywood (nicely finsihed) to fit, and then use heavy duty eye hooks or wrap chains around them and secure to the joist in your ceiling. kind of like a swing.

I would hate to see 60lbs of VP180 falling 7 ft to a basemnt floor. I get nervous thinking about this whole idea.

Best of luck!

pictures are somewhere in this thread.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323121&page=13
Posted By: pinoy168 Re: VP180 wall mount - 09/26/10 11:34 PM
thanks for all the comments. think i'll go with the ledge and lip ...
© Axiom Message Boards