Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik Windows and sound treatment - 10/13/10 07:38 PM
Hi guys,

So I finally have all my equipment, and I'm ready to set things up, but I'm wondering what I can do about the acoustics; I have a large window in the living room to deal with.

What have others done to get the best sound possible when having a window to deal with?

I'm going to put up some bass traps in the corners, and some panels on the ceiling and on the wall opposite the window (is this the right way to go?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/13/10 07:50 PM
http://www.asc-soundproof.com/window-plug.htm

Really though, I like what those cellular shades do for windows. I have the Bali DiamondCell blinds.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/13/10 07:50 PM
Thick curtains for the window should help.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/13/10 07:51 PM
Curtains with blackout material on the backside.
Posted By: RickF Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/13/10 08:57 PM
I don't know where the window is in relation to your speakers but depending on the existing treatment of the window(s) you may also want to consider breaking up the reflections by diffusion with something as simple as blinds or shutters that can be or already is incorporated into the decor of the room.
Posted By: majik Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/14/10 10:58 AM
I've been trying to find some really heavy curtains... but not coming up with much (other than real theatre curtains that cost a house!)...

I'm also looking to put a curtain (a heavy one) on a ceiling track to separate the living room from the kitchen area.

Any ideas?

Remember I'm in Canada, so I need a place that will ship (if buying online).

Thanks for the link Chris. I'm intrigued, and I'll probably buy from them but I'm looking for some heavy curtains to go with it.
Posted By: RickF Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/14/10 11:30 AM
I'd probably take a peek around some of the local fabric shops and find the material and then either make the curtain myself or have a seamstress make the curtain, a track and the associated hanging hardware can probably be found from a local home improvement store or maybe even the fabric store. You'll probably have a lot more design options at a less expensive cost this way.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/15/10 02:15 AM
I would not assume the window is going to cause problems, until you try it out. Also, while I'm a firm believer in acoustic panels and bass traps make a huge difference, I would see how your room sounds as is, maybe you have already done this?

Get some curtains with a blackout backing to help block the sun, but I would not be to concerned about it making a huge sound improvement.
Posted By: grunt Re: Windows and sound treatment - 10/15/10 03:34 PM
Take Randy’s advice and listen before you start tweaking. When I fist got my system in my apartment I did a lot of things I read about that ended up being unnecessary. Luck I for me that was a test bed so that I didn’t make the same mistake in my house which would have wasted a lot more money.
© Axiom Message Boards