Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tony AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 10:17 AM
Hello,
I'm a new user leaving Paradigm / Anthem products and getting ready to purchase Axiom speakers. I need to get a good AV receiver that can handle these 4 ohm speakers. I'm going to get M22 on walls and VP 180 center with QS4 for rears. I'm looking at Yamaha or Denon. Any suggestions and model recommendations would be appreciated. In converse, I can give plenty of insight on any paradigm / anthem / rotel products. I've had them all in the past.

Tony
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 11:22 AM
Denon is somewhat the favorite around here, because all their models seem to do well with 4 ohms.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 11:59 AM
The Pioneer Elite models do well with 4 ohm load also.
Posted By: bdpf Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 01:50 PM
I have an entry level denon and had no issues driving M80s + VP180.
Posted By: Tony Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 02:37 PM
I would love to get the Pioneer SC37 but I read on avsforum that people have had issues with Pioneer CSR when they have run into problems running the axiom speakers. Any truth or concerns with this?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 03:20 PM
What's CSR?

I know we've got some members with Elites, but I don't recall if any have M80s
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 03:26 PM
Why on earth wouldn't you continue to use your Anthem and/or Rotel gear?

Nobody ever seems to complain about anything with the Denons.

M22's are really a pretty easy load, so any decent receiver should do the trick. Just set a budget and find something that has the features you like.

Grunt is using a newer Onkyo to drive M80's with good results. I have an Onkyo 805 with M60's and am very satisfied. Even their mid-level models now seem to include network capability and can often be had as refurbs for an excellent price.
Posted By: alan Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 03:59 PM
Hi Tony,

The Pioneer Elite models seem to be fine with 4-ohm loads. Besides Denon, the other brands that historically have had no trouble driving 4-ohm loads include Rotel, NAD, Harman/Kardon, Sherwood Newcastle, and upper-level Onkyos and Yamahas. It's the old Onkyos with ultra-sensitive protection circuitry that balked at 4-ohm loads. More recent models of Onkyo and Yamaha in the mid-to-upper priced range don't seem to have that problem.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 04:12 PM
Please note, the world will be ending shortly. Alan just recommended an Onkyo.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 04:20 PM
I just recovered from that recommendation too! Buy Onkyo stock while it's low!
Posted By: alan Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 04:51 PM
ha, ha, ha!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 04:56 PM
No, he didn't. He said "it might not suck".
Posted By: CatBrat Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 05:18 PM
I'm been driving 2 sets of M22's with Left and Right channel on the smallest Pioneer Elite for several months with no problems.
Posted By: Tony Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 05:19 PM
Hello,
I've pulled the trigger (deposit) on the new Yamaha AVENTAGE A2000. Hope I made a good choice. I guess I'll find out.
Tony
Posted By: fredk Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 05:45 PM
Quote:
Nobody ever seems to complain about anything with the Denons.

Yeah, and their manuals are, like, super awesome too!! wink
Posted By: bdpf Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 06:47 PM
+1 smile
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 07:47 PM

I've pulled the trigger (deposit) on the new Yamaha AVENTAGE A2000. Hope I made a good choice. I guess I'll find out.

Congraz on your Yamaha purchase.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
No, he didn't. He said "it might not suck".

My Onkyo doesn't suck....lol
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 10:28 PM
Well, it's certainly not going to suck itself.

Yeah, fred, you're right. I was being too charitable. The Denon manuals are horrific, and I really hated the remote for my 1804. I thought maybe all you guys with the fancy 3810's and such had transcended all that.
Posted By: Adrian Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 11:03 PM
I was thinking of dressing up as a Denon Manual for Halloween.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/14/10 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I thought maybe all you guys with the fancy 3810's and such had transcended all that.

We have.

We just didn't want you to feel bad since you had a sucky Onkyo and stuff...
Posted By: JohnK Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/15/10 03:33 AM
Tony, welcome. None of the Axiom speakers, including those which have been assigned a 4 ohm rating, should have any difficulty at safe home listening levels with receiver amplifiers from the major manufacturers rated in the 100-150 watt area. This certainly applies to the Yamaha that you have on order, but I'd suggest that you also consider similar Denon and Onkyo models with Audyssey MultEQ room equalization, which is more advanced than the Yamaha system. A very good buy at this time is the factory refurb(which should be at least as reliable as a brand-new unit)Onkyo 3007 available here for about $900.

As to the speakers, if you're referring to the side surrounds in a 5.1 setup, you might consider using the larger QS8s.
Posted By: CV Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/15/10 04:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I was thinking of dressing up as a Denon Manual for Halloween.

As long as you have a friend dressed up as Batpig so you have an opponent.
Posted By: Tony Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/15/10 10:30 AM
Hi John,
Thank you for the info. Yes, that is a great price on a great unit. I'm not crazy about the unit only having a one year warranty though. I'll give it some thought.

Tony
Posted By: jakewash Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/16/10 07:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Tony
Hi John,
Thank you for the info. Yes, that is a great price on a great unit. I'm not crazy about the unit only having a one year warranty though. I'll give it some thought.

Tony
How much of a warranty does the Yamaha have? Most of the usual avr's mentioned only have 1 year warranties without purchasing a dealer offered/backed extended warranty.
Posted By: Tony Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/16/10 10:08 AM
The warranty on this model version from Yamaha is 3 years. I would not buy an extended warranty past that.

Tony
Posted By: radtek2 Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/16/10 04:30 PM
My NAD AVR has a 2 year parts and labor warranty, you would think for what I paid for it that it would have at least a 3 year! But the heavy duty monster can handle anything you want to put it through.
Posted By: jakewash Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/16/10 04:53 PM
Nice to know, that is a good length of time for a factory warranty, hopefully the other manufacturers will follow suit, especially considering the amount of money we pay for those avr's.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: AV Receiver choice - 10/17/10 06:09 PM
Doesn't American Express extend your warranty by an additional 1 year?
© Axiom Message Boards