Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jasper International orders - 10/18/10 09:15 AM
Hello all -- I was just wondering if there are any fellow Europeans (or, really, anybody from outside North America) around who have ordered Axiom products to be shipped here. From the site, I always had the impression that there were no costs for shipping. It shows my location as the Netherlands and says: 4.5% Duty and 19.0% VAT Extra - No Other Charges! Also, when I click on "fast, free shipping worldwide" on the main page, it says: Axiom is pleased to offer fast, free shipping throughout Netherlands.

But, then, I won two QS4s in an auction that ended on Friday, and Noreen told me there would be a charge for shipping and that, moreover, Axiom always charges for international shipping. This would make sense, I suppose -- it must be more expensive for Axiom to ship speakers to the Netherlands than inside North America -- but it isn't reflected, anywhere, on the website.

Now I hope Noreen will get back to me today, I e-mailed her again on Saturday, but I also wanted to throw it out here. The Axiom site really does give the impression that there is no charge for shipping, not even outside North America. If this is not the case, it seems the site needs some adjustment, soon.
Posted By: Philippe Re: International orders - 10/18/10 11:59 AM
You should just give them a call. Noreen will anwser all your questions.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: International orders - 10/18/10 12:00 PM
I'm not really familiar with their international shipping policies. Maybe contact axiom for further clarification?
Posted By: Jasper Re: International orders - 10/18/10 12:29 PM
I have contacted Axiom and I'm confident that Noreen will get back to me soon. I just thought to mention this on the forums because it seems to concern not just me but anyone from outside North America who would come away from the Axiom site thinking Axiom offers worldwide free shipping.

If Axiom does, that's terrific. But if Axiom doesn't, the site should be clear on that.

If someone from Madagascar would stumble upon the site, he might think that Axiom is pleased to offer fast, free shipping throughout Madagascar. Because that's what the site says. It just seems unlikely.
Posted By: Adrian Re: International orders - 10/18/10 01:04 PM
Jasper, when I do a "proceed to checkout" using various countries, the shipping seems to always come up as free. I thought the shipping was worked into the price of all the purchases, no matter what the destination was, but you're doing the right thing by contacting Axiom(Noreen).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: International orders - 10/18/10 02:02 PM
I suspect that the auction site may work differently.
Posted By: Adrian Re: International orders - 10/18/10 02:49 PM
Oh! yah, since it is from the auction site, it probably does work differently esp if it's going through a third party.
Posted By: jakewash Re: International orders - 10/18/10 03:32 PM
From the auction site:

Quote:

Wherever you see this graphic, you're buying direct from Axiom. Any of these overstock or refurbished products have the same 30-day return privileges, warranty and FREE shipping that our regular products enjoy.

Or, if you see this graphic, take advantage of this great way to pick up used Axiom gear, as well as all kinds of other brands! You pay the shipping on this option and you have one week from time of receiving the product to opt to return it to the seller (freight is paid both ways by you, the buyer).

So Axiom direct has paid shipping but preowned(third party) the buyer pays shipping.
Posted By: mpyw Re: International orders - 10/18/10 03:34 PM
it's always mentioned in the auction product list that if it's an Axiom Direct item, shipping would be FREE for Canada & USA, and international shipping to email Axiom for quote.

Also, for normal products order, if you change the country of the final shipping, the price would change to reflect the changes in shipping charges e.g. the QS8 would cost only $558 for a USA customers, where it would cost $658 for customer ordering from the UK.
Posted By: jakewash Re: International orders - 10/18/10 03:40 PM
Some of that price change is also due to monetary differences from USD to said countries dollar.

Thanks for that extra clarification.
Posted By: Jasper Re: International orders - 10/18/10 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: mpyw
it's always mentioned in the auction product list that if it's an Axiom Direct item, shipping would be FREE for Canada & USA, and international shipping to email Axiom for quote.

I did e-mail Axiom about this last month, concerning another auction, and was told that "there will be no extra shipping cost involved as it is coming direct from us." Perhaps that was a mistake.

Quote:
Also, for normal products order, if you change the country of the final shipping, the price would change to reflect the changes in shipping charges e.g. the QS8 would cost only $558 for a USA customers, where it would cost $658 for customer ordering from the UK.

If that is indeed the case, the site should mention that shipping is included in the price. (It should not say that Axiom offers free shipping throughout the Netherlands.) What's confusing, though, is that the EURO price for Axiom products rarely changes but the exchange rate for euros against dollars is all over the place.

For me, I'd rather just pay in dollars and know how much I'm paying for shipping.
Posted By: jakewash Re: International orders - 10/18/10 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Jasper
If that is indeed the case, the site should mention that shipping is included in the price. (It should not say that Axiom offers free shipping throughout the Netherlands.)

Nothing is ever free. Free shipping by any company just means the cost of shipping is already included in the price.

Quote:

What's confusing, though, is that the EURO price for Axiom products rarely changes but the exchange rate for euros against dollars is all over the place.

If this is the case I would say Axiom has simply decided on a median price of that roller coaster and would only adjust if the price remains higher or lower over a longer amount of time.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: International orders - 10/18/10 10:30 PM
Jakewash hit it on the head. Free shipping is just marketing jargon. In this case shipping costs are carefully factored into the MSRP. It is more upfront and offers complete information. On the other hand if shipping costs are handled separately from the MSRP you have to be careful because companies might slash the MSRP up front or offer some sort of special and on the back end inflate the shipping and handling costs re-couping their margins. Always best in latter to double check online with the shipping company to see what it would cost you to ship that product yourself from that location. If it is anywhere close to what you have to pay or greater, then you know the company is screwing you because they get a special rate on shipping with the companies they deal with.
Posted By: Jasper Re: International orders - 10/19/10 01:32 PM
"Free," of course, is relative. In this case, for me, it is relative to what you (lucky!) North Americans are paying. I was under the impression that free shipping meant that, apart from VAT and duty, I would be paying the same price for Axiom products as you do.

Perhaps that's my own fault; but perhaps Axiom could also do more to make it clear, on the site, that we from outside North America pay more to cover for shipping. It's not that I would blame them, not at all! I just rather would know.
Posted By: alan Re: International orders - 10/19/10 04:10 PM
Hi Jakewash, Jasper and all,

I quizzed Ian Colquhoun, the founder and owner of Axiom on the currency issues and here's his reply:

"We are in the midst of figuring out how to program the currencies and freight into the Auction Page so international customers see a final number in their currency. It is fairly complex to do this but I am sure we will figure it out in the next few months."

Thanks for everyone's posts on this thread.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: casey01 Re: International orders - 10/19/10 04:27 PM
I would agree with Alan that with Axiom shipping all over the world and the myriad of currencies and import regulations for each country, sorting it all out would be a marathon job.

However, it is correct, there is nothing really free and it is calculated in to the final cost of the product. I am not sure if anyone else has ever done this but back awhile ago I asked Noreen if I picked up my order directly from the plant would I save any money? Her response was "YES" and they would knock 8% off the price(at least within Canada).

I guess that answers the question.
Posted By: Adrian Re: International orders - 10/19/10 05:00 PM
I picked up my speakers at the factory and saved the cost of shipping though I can't recall what the actual amount/% was. Not only does it save you some coin, but the speakers aren't subject to the sadomasocists at UPS et al.
Posted By: JohnK Re: International orders - 10/20/10 01:59 AM
Jasper, as other replies have already pointed out, there's no such thing as really free shipping in this world, and those companies which use that terminology(using "shipping included" would be more precise)have invariably built their shipping costs into their prices. In your case, the calculation of the amount of shipping charges is complicated, as you've mentioned, by constant fluctuations in the euro(which reminds me for some reason of my joke in the joke thread a few years ago about the Asian gentleman visiting NYC who was enraged by fluctuations at a currency exchange). For example, currently the euro is 1.3745 $U.S. The M80s sell for $1380 delivered in the U.S. and 1172 euros delivered in the Netherlands, which is equivalent today to about $1611 U.S. Therefore, the cost to the Netherlands, including shipping, is about $231 more today, which number changes daily.

Possibly, paraphrasing Orwell in Animal Farm, the reality is that all shipping is "free", but some is more free than others.
Posted By: Jasper Re: International orders - 10/20/10 06:28 AM
Thanks, John, well said. In this case, perhaps we should say that on some days, shipping is more free than on others. And of course I can live with that. It's been six years now, that I've had my M22s -- I bought them when I was living in Michigan -- and I'm still thrilled to have found them. I'm looking forward to pairing them with the QS4s and a VP100, no matter what shipping.
Posted By: Jasper Re: International orders - 10/27/10 08:14 PM
To end this thread on an entirely positive note -- I finally made the order for the VP100 and the QS4s last week, on Wednesday, and received my speakers last Monday, looking and (though I've only hooked up the center, so far) sounding great. In five days from order to sound, with an ocean in between -- not bad!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: International orders - 10/27/10 08:38 PM
That is some excellent delivery, very fast.

Enjoy your new toys Jasper.

Go Orange!
Posted By: jakewash Re: International orders - 10/27/10 10:03 PM
Great times ahead, congrats on the new additions.
© Axiom Message Boards