Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kwatch Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 02:23 AM
What are the main differences between M3 Ti and M3 v3 other than the manufacturing year?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 03:34 AM
Cosmetically: Ti/V2 - Black Dustcap, V3 - Aluminum/White Dustcap

Parts: Updated tweeter and woofer from Ti - V3. The crossover and crossover point of 2.2khz seems to be unchanged as well as using the same natural/mechanical roll-off of the 6.5" woofer.

On-axis V3: http://www.axiomaudio.com/gallery_disp.html?image=M3_freq.gif&title=M3

On-axis Ti: http://axiomaudio.com/gallery_m3ti_diagram.html
Posted By: JohnK Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 03:53 AM
DH, note that the v3 curve is labeled "listening window" rather than on-axis. This is therefore an average of several curves over a small vertical and horizontal range(that used by the NRC or otherwise)and isn't directly comparable to the Ti on-axis curve.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 03:56 AM
Thank you for pointing that out JohnK.
Posted By: HAY Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 12:55 PM
Also V3 has magnetic grilles.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 05:02 PM
The M3V3s I ordered and bought have black dust caps, no magnetic grills, and a sticker on the back which announces M3V2. Nevertheless, I have been assured that they are really M3V3s. I think I bought my first Axiom speakers in 2001 or 2002 and have real affection for the folks at Axiom that I have previously dealt with - Joe V., Amie, Noreen, so when Jean C and the other fella give me their Jeddi "your speakers are not M3V2s they're M3V3s," I walk away mumbling, "OK."

BTW, they sound spectacular.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 05:21 PM
Yep, they're all great people and super nice. However, it would always be in the back of my mind that they're V2's based on everything you've said.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 05:36 PM
That's what I thought until they told me this is not the droid I'm looking for ...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 06:01 PM
You could have very easily sent them back as unwanted and then ordered another set, the wait obviously would have been worth it to you to have had the full v3 package.

You know what they say about Jedi mind tricks wink
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
You could have very easily sent them back as unwanted and then ordered another set, the wait obviously would have been worth it to you to have had the full v3 package.

Was going to say that but.......
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 06:46 PM
I bought them for a friend. I ordered a custom finish. I waited more than a month before I received them. I did not want to wait another month.

So, while you are correct, I could have returned them, I felt that further delay would cause me more embarrasment. After all, the person I bought these speakers for does not know the difference between V2 or V3 M3s.

I do know the difference. The fact that I could have returned them does not really change the lingering impression left from Axiom's repeated assurances that these M3s were really V3s.

Bottom line, the speakers are wonderful, but I don't think Axiom customer service is what it used to be.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 07:52 PM
You did order before the v3 announcement so you should not have been expecting v3's, IMO. That is just one of those 'DANG! I bought too soon' momments.

I also think Axiom should not have assured you they are v3's as they do lack all of the visuals(one color driver and no mag grilles) of the v3. Did they at least mention the fact your v2/3's would not have the new visuals? If not then I would be upset too.

Something for prospective buyers to keep in mind, Axiom/Ian makes running changes to his speakers as he sees fit. I doubt early Ti models are the same as later models, well, we know they are not as this was the reason the v2 designation came about and I highly doubt early V2 speakers are the same as later models, again we know this to be true.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 08:44 PM
Jake, you're partially correct. I ordered before the V3s were announced. Once they were announced, I changed my order, and upgraded to the M3V3 with glossy cherry finish. Axiom confirmed I would be receiving the M3V3s I ordered. I waited an additional month and the rest of the story you know.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 10:05 PM
I now see why you are not too happy, can't blame you, especially as you changed the order. Shame on Axiom.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Jake, you're partially correct. I ordered before the V3s were announced. Once they were announced, I changed my order, and upgraded to the M3V3 with glossy cherry finish. Axiom confirmed I would be receiving the M3V3s I ordered. I waited an additional month and the rest of the story you know.

That's not cool, man.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/27/10 11:59 PM
Yah But they sure sound good. And they're mighty fine looking as well.

[img:center][/img]
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/28/10 12:22 AM
If I had to do it all over again...the HG cherry is one of my favorites the more I see it. I even prefer it to some of the more expensive wood veneer finishes. Just beautiful!

Hope you are having a great day Phil.

Cheers!
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/28/10 12:26 AM
I sorta like that tweeter on the bottom config and, I agree, this finish is stunning. HG Rosewood is also fab.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/28/10 12:30 AM
Rosewood da bomb.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/28/10 01:08 PM
Imagine. If your order concluded in a flawless transaction, you wouldn't have had this story to tell (and retell, and ...).

So, win-win?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/30/10 03:55 AM
The transaction was interesting. It raises questions.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/30/10 03:07 PM
Good point.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Difference between M3 Ti and M3 v3 - 10/30/10 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Imagine. If your order concluded in a flawless transaction, you wouldn't have had this story to tell (and retell, and ...).

So, win-win?

When I met the lion, he only purred grin wink .

I'm surprised your avatar hasn't been charged with being the indiscriminate killer of innocent creatures in the animal kingdom. Oh, wait, that would actually be true....
© Axiom Message Boards