Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko sorta off-topic: Need advice on flat-panel TV - 07/08/03 08:37 PM
My boss wants to buy my office a large flat-panel TV and needs to spend the money by end-of-day tomorrow. I have no idea where to start researching. The only requirement is that it have a VGA connection so it can display computer images.

Supposedly, this screen/TV will be for network monitoring software so we can see everything a glance. Of course, it couldn't hurt to buy a screen that works great in a home theater.

Anyone have ideas as to which brands/types are best? LCD or Plasma?
Post this question on the soundandvisionmag.com boards, and you'll probably get a better response.
Front Projection. :-)

Network monitoring sounds like a lot of static images. Plasma burns in easily. What is your budget?
Post the question in avsforum.com.

Incidentally, don't you need an audio system to complement the panel TV?
I don't know what your budjet is but you might try and research DLP(digital light projection), Samsung has a few models out 43", 50", and 61" ranging from about $3000 to about $5000-cristal clear picture, can be used as a computer monitor-no burn in.
FYI (and to close the thread), we just ordered a 61" NEC plasma display.

I'll have to "borrow" it for a long weekend or something...
Please tell me you didn't spend that 20k MSRP on a TV!
DON'T forget to call me when you do...

Mmmm, Halo on a 61" TV...
My daughters LOVE playing Halo in the two-player mode, no our 120" front projection screen. HAHAHA...
Well, considering I've never played it and don't have an Xbox, the point is somewhat moot. Damn, I'm still jealous of that screen.
I'm not a big fan of the Plasmas unless I was going for a minimalist furniture design in a room that wouldn't be my primary theater and I had money to burn. That kind of scratch, when devoted to a projector or rptv results in a significantly better picture, in my opinion. However, if I had the money to do a Plasma elegantly above the fire place and a home theater room with a projector, I'd be all over it.
I agree. I told my boss we could get an absolutely amazing front-projector setup (including a top-quality screen) for $10k, but he was set on plasma.
© Axiom Message Boards