Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Auria ear bud headphones? - 11/28/10 09:15 PM
Anyone familiar with Auria? It sounds like they are earbuds designed to stay in even during workouts and not block out other sounds, so they will be safer when exercising outside.

That all sounds great, but how is the sound quality?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 11/30/10 09:54 PM
How about some on-ear headphones made by the Joker. This is what he listens to for relaxation purposes after a long day trying to kill the Batman. grin shocked

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/5245...-dinosaur-style
Posted By: medic8r Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/01/10 01:19 PM
Mmmmm, donuts ....
Posted By: Zarak Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 12:24 AM
I'm going to give it a shot and order them. I'd give everyone a sound review on them, but as they will be a gift I don't know that I'll listen to them much/at all.

The receiver of them is not an audiophile by any means, and will care more about if they stay in.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 12:43 AM
My Grados are crying in sympathy.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 11:52 AM
Grado wouldn't work anyway...she specifically wants in ear, not on ear.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 02:41 PM
There are Grado earbuds. I preferred the Etymotics by a fairly long shot--and the Grados were more expensive.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info, Ken. I am *ahem* joining a gym and find myself in the market for some earbuds for my iPhone.

I had not heard of Etymotics before. Looks intriguing. Are you refernecing the 6i?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 02:56 PM
Yes, those are the ones I have. I had a thread on my headphone testing around here somewhere-I think I tried Sennheisers, Etymotics, Grados, and Metalsomethingorother.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:00 PM
Addendum: buy several sets from headphone.com like I did, and send back the ones you don't like. I think IEMs are the sort of thing where the selection is a lot more personal than speakers--they've got to fit your ears to work. headphone.com has an excellent return policy.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:01 PM
Ken, your thread was active around the time that JP was shunning these forums, and was hardly ever seen here.

Not that we're hurt or anything... ::sniff-sniff::
Posted By: alan Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:04 PM
medic8,

Many find the Eymotics excellent, but beware, the fit into your ear canal is everything. In my tests of some Etymotics, the supplied flanges were all too large, and I never heard any bass. I understand that Etymotic is now supplying a better selection of sizes. I do use the "Baby Blues" Eymotic full-fidelity noise suppression ear plugs, and those do fit my ear canals.

During the in-ear tests of earphones, I much preferred the Shure, likely because they fit properly and had very neutral wide-range response with good deep bass.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:04 PM
I didn't notice he was gone.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:06 PM
grin
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:07 PM
Here it is.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 03:11 PM
I never was gone per se, just a few stretches (days/weeks) here and there where I was less active. You know how sensitive Mark is. wink

edit: Hey, thanks for the link.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 04:13 PM
Seriously? You're going to make fun of my abandonment issues?

::runs away crying, just like the good old days::
Posted By: medic8r Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 04:43 PM
It's poor form to make fun of/cut down/yell at my patients, so I displace those urges onto you guys.

You're welcome.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
It's poor form to make fun of/cut down/yell at my patients, so I displace those urges onto you guys.

So... bad FORM is putting U back in FORuM??
Posted By: medic8r Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/02/10 06:03 PM
Grrr.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 12:27 AM
The best Shure's are $500! You've got expensive tastes Alan. They better sound good for that price. I'm getting some Axiom speakers if I'm spending that much...who needs headphones grin As for the Etymotic, those are $100 for the ones referenced($70 on Amazon though)....not sure how the cheaper ones compare. The Auria Zeal is $35.
Posted By: Wid Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 12:45 AM

I've been through a number of different headphones, ear buds and iems. I wholeheartedly recommend Etymotic. They are some of the best sounding phones I have owned.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 01:17 AM
How well will the Etymotic's stay in during a workout though? That is the main criteria she is looking for. Even more important than sound quality! *GASP*
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 01:27 AM
See my thread, where I described my ears as feeling violated by the etymotics. I don't think they'll come out. Not that I actually work out.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 01:27 AM
I still like the Koss KSC75s. They sound good, are inexpensive, and stay on your ears...if you don't mind the "over the ear" clip style. (For some, it's just not cool to have anything but white buds).

Rick (Wid) and I think one or two others here like them as well.
Posted By: Wid Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 02:24 AM

Oh yeah, the 75s are a fantastic bang for your buck. I still own a pair.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Auria ear bud headphones? - 12/03/10 02:50 AM
Mark, your link sucks.

I bought a pair of those. They sound good!

BUT, I think they're WAY too bulky for anyone who is seriously looking for "workout" headphones. IEM's are the way to go for that.
© Axiom Message Boards