Axiom Home Page
All, I need some quick advice from those of you on my side of the border (Canada).

I need to install an HT for my in-laws and have it functional in time for the Christmas holidays as a result of a recent move. We already have all of the components, speakers and interconnects from the old house, but I need to get speaker cable within the next 2 weeks for the installation.

Can anybody recommend where is the best place to get good cable cheap within the next week or so?

I assume monoprice is one, but I am not sure of delivery time and duty fees to Canada. Anybody with experience to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all!
Axiom has VERY good speaker cable and not obscenely over priced either.

Monoprice as you mentioned, delivery to me from them has always been within a week.
Thanks Jay. Any duty or import taxes to be aware of with monoprice.com?
None that I remember, if there was it wasn't much.
If it is a relatively small package with moderately low value and coming by mail, other than maybe sales tax, you shouldn't face any other charges. The biggest problem I have ever faced with extra charges was overland shipments via UPS. Avoid this method like the plague, UPS are scam artists when it comes to brokerage charges, especially when it is shipped in this manner.

Just make sure to confirm with Monoprice whether there may be shipment options with different companies which is usually connected to speed of delivery.
Go to the Home Depot and get a 75M roll of 14 gauge for about $80.00. All you need.
I've had the same experiences as Jason and casey01 re: Monoprice. I've used them many times over the past year, prices are incredibly low, quality is good, delivery time is a week or so (to Burlington, ON), delivery costs are low, and duties are low to none.

I've also used these guys http://www.infinitecables.com/index.html
Their prices aren't typically as low as Monoprice but they are in Ontario (Markham).

Bob
Thanks all. I actually forgot about checking Home Depot. I assume the quality of the cable from Monoprice is good? No complaints with flexibility, covers stripping, wires breaking etc...?
I haven't bought their speaker wire, but I've been REALLY impressed with the quality of everything I have purchased from them. And there's been quite a bit of it. smile
I bought their 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free speaker wire and really like it.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...=1&format=2
I have Axiom wire, very soft and good quality.

+1 to Axiom
I am looking at this from monoprice which is ~$80 plus whatever exchange/shipping/handling fees get applied. The same will be significantly more expensive from any other source that I have found.
I have some of Monoprice's 12 gauge and it is good quality but quite stiff in comparison to many other 12 gauge wiring I have seen, especially compared to Axiom's 12 gauge. Axiom's wire is very supple with some very fine strands, yet it is still reasonably strong. This is what I would expect for the price difference between the 2.
Originally Posted By: bdpf
I bought their 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free speaker wire and really like it.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...=1&format=2

I've also had really good experience with monoprice. My order is in my Canadian hands within a week or two, tops. Every time I order I can't help but throw in other cables and wires as well. I've got a draw FULL of extra HDMI cables and other cables just because they're cheap but not cheaply made. LOL
My order is on the way. I expect it should arrive sometime this coming week. Thanks for the advice all, that helped save probably about $200 from paying storefront inflated pricing.

Cheers,
Originally Posted By: cb919
My order is on the way. I expect it should arrive sometime this coming week. Thanks for the advice all, that helped save probably about $200 from paying storefront inflated pricing.

Cheers,

Too bad I didn't see this sooner. "Only Best Rated" an internet only site in Mississauga, sells Monoprice cables at pretty competitive prices(they will adjust them in accordance with the Can./US dollar values). I didn't see how much you bought in length, but I saw on the OBR site, although not the same as the cable shown on your link, a 50 foot spool of 12 gauge Monoprice cable for under $24.00 Can.
I have that site bookmarked now - I had never heard of them before. Looks like some great HDMI cable pricing, but they do not seem to carry what I need for speaker cables. I ordered a 500ft spool of 14 gauge in wall rated speaker cable from monoprice. Good site to know about - thanks.
Final update - the speaker cable arrived yesterday. Price was exactly what was stated on the monoprice website plus exchange from CAD to US. When UPS dropped off the box it was only an additional $10. No surprises and good and cheap. Now I know what I'm doing this coming weekend! smile
The last time i ordered from Monoprice, i decided to get their 'premium' cables which were a few bucks more than the lowest priced stuff.
It turns out i was sent the same 'brand' as what they were selling in a local Future Shop.
By going with Monoprice i saved 90%.

Can't say i've ever found good deals at Home Depot. The cable they sell here is really stiff.

Another Cdn company where i've found more than just cables is Solen in QC.
http://www.solen.ca
You can get new fabric for grilles, speaker feet, crossovers, tweeters, drivers, etc.
A bit more of a technical site, but overall good prices.
Thanks for that link Chess smile
© Axiom Message Boards