Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Cheap receiver advice - 12/09/10 12:42 PM
I'm looking for a cheap receiver for my son's dorm room. Used is ok, around $100 would be perfect, since it will likely not survive the school environment for long. It doesn't need any bells and/or whistles. Almost any major brand name would be fine. I'm really more looking for suggestions about where to shop online. Ebay and Overstock.com come to mind...are there other places to look?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/09/10 02:16 PM
If you just want Stereo, this might work.

I own this and it's OK...
Posted By: Wid Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/09/10 02:29 PM

I bought my son a Sherwood YEARS ago. He now has a different set up, Rotel pre with a Luxman amp, but the Sherwood is still working in my nephews garage.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/09/10 04:56 PM
I'd look for some decent brand used on CL. I just got a vintage NAD for my garage for $45. It works great. Seems like lots of people are trying to unload non-HDMI receivers, too.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/10/10 03:32 AM
Joe, even if you limit it to around $100, you can get a factory refurb such as this one .
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/10/10 03:33 AM
My very first receiver back in the 70s was a Sherwood. It survived a lot of abuse. That sub-$100 one looks like a possibility.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/10/10 10:44 PM
I ended up getting a SONY STR-D550Z on eBay for $84. It's comical to see what was state of the art only 15 years ago. The only video inputs are composite, and no line out for a sub. If it plays loud, then my job is done. Now I just have to resist the temptation to give him my M60s as an excuse to upgrade to M80s.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cheap receiver advice - 12/11/10 12:14 AM
I have the STRD915. It worked quite well with the M80s and the M22's whenever I have hooked them up to it.
© Axiom Message Boards