Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 05:33 AM
Well, it's on the way and I'm dying to test this baby out... that's also when I break out the replacement ep800! I'm like a kid waiting for xmas to get here!

Question about the sub crawl... if my seating arrangement is on a riser, should I move the riser too before setting the sub there and doing the crawl?
Posted By: JohnK Re: V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 05:52 AM
Maj, to the extent that it's practical, the sub driver cone should be at the same position as the seated listener's ears.
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 06:17 AM
k, well that's just not gonna happen - those ep800s are big mofos! lol! so I'll just sit it on top of the riser to run the test. Thanks John, much appreciated!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 01:45 PM
Just stand it up at the same location where you will be seating, if it is on a platform or not that does not matter. If you have to move your chair out of the way that is fine. When I did this for my EP600, I just removed the recliner and placed the sub in its place.
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 05:56 PM
Will do.. I was thinking that since the 800 will be horizontal i should put it horizontal for the test as well, but i see now that it should't make that much of a difference.

*****VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE******
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED! I REPEAT, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!! THE VP180 IS NOW HOME!

I really wasn't expecting a box of this magnitude!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: V180 on the way! - 12/10/10 05:57 PM
Gotta be at least the same size as the M80 box!
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/11/10 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Gotta be at least the same size as the M80 box!

I think your right, it looks like it is the same box.

setting everything up today! should be fun!
Posted By: jakewash Re: V180 on the way! - 12/11/10 07:56 PM
Majik, If you took a second to think about it, you wouldn't have been surprised as the EP800/600 is taller and wider than an M80 so the box is obviously going to be bigger, too much youthful enthusiasm I think. smile
Posted By: Worfzara Re: V180 on the way! - 12/12/10 01:00 PM
I keep all of my Boxes and yes, it is the same box as an M80.

Your gonna love this thing Majik!

pn
Posted By: terzaghi Re: V180 on the way! - 12/12/10 04:12 PM
congrats! I'll look forward to your first impressions.
Posted By: Dduval Re: V180 on the way! - 12/12/10 06:32 PM
Don't forget the pics Majik! Contrats!

Dana
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/13/10 11:08 PM
Well, I have the 180 hooked up and I really wasn't expecting much of an improvement from the 150 since I was - and still am - truly impressed with it. So I really was really thinking "this is as good as it gets"... let me tell you I was wrong!

When I removed the 180 from the box and set it down by the 150, I was like "the 150's a mini-me of the 180"... Then I noticed something else... the 180 is actually an M80 with the cones placed differently! lol!

Although it looks like the M80, I'm sure they did whatever it is they do to make dialogue stand out though, because when I hooked it and turned on the TV, I was amazed at the difference!

I haven't quite figured everything out yet though, I'm having an issue - not with the center - but with the room... when I am sitting to the left of it there somewhat of a "vibration" or "distortion" to the dialogue.. but if i move to the front of it it's amazingly clear! So I know this must have something to do with the the sound bouncing of something.. just can't figure out what it could be yet. (when I post pics I'll explain with a visual).

Overall I am way happier than I thought I would be!! i FINALLY broke out the ep800 out the box too! so trying to get, I'm a happy camper right now!
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/14/10 03:54 AM
oops! that should read ***so trying to get that going***
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/14/10 04:30 AM
no sub when I play music...

on the receiver i can see the sub and the 2 fronts... but nothing out of the sub?? yet when I play a movie, no problem whatsoever? any ideas?
Posted By: JohnK Re: V180 on the way! - 12/14/10 04:50 AM
Maj, you haven't described your settings, but if, for example, the M80s are set "Large", and no other setting is employed, The M80s will get all the bass in the main channels, while the sub gets none of it. The sub would get the LFE channel intermittently present during movies to play.
Posted By: jakewash Re: V180 on the way! - 12/14/10 10:25 AM
In 2 channel mode on the 3808 you have to set the 2 channel speaker settings and in there you have to allow the sub to be LFE + Mains, if you desire to have the M80s as large otherwise set them to small then the LFE + Mains setting is moot as the receiver will default to sending the frequencies lower than the crossover to the sub regadless.
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/15/10 12:06 PM
Thanks guys! I fiddled with the settings and then the bass kicked in but to be honest with you I was kinda getting frustrated and I was just changing settings without taking note of what it was I was changing when it kicked in; so I didn't know what it was that made the change but thanks to your explanations and dbl checking with the receiver, I can see what caused the change. Thanks a bunch!
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/16/10 03:41 AM
Well the distortion that I was (am) hearing is still there and even when I'm sitting directly in front of the centre. The thing is when I put my ear to it I can tell it's the left 5.25" woofer. When I crank up the volume it's not as evident, but when it's at lower levels it's really bad. If I apply a little pressure on it the distortion goes away.
Posted By: jakewash Re: V180 on the way! - 12/16/10 03:51 AM
You have luck about as bad as MDrew. Call Axiom and let them know, they will send you a new driver.
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/16/10 04:31 AM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
You have luck about as bad as MDrew. Call Axiom and let them know, they will send you a new driver.

You know, I was saying the same thing to myself! lol! It's unbelievable! even my samsung 650 went out on me (bad capacitors). I fixed it myself, but damn... if it wasn't for bad luck...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: V180 on the way! - 12/16/10 12:01 PM
Methinks the Home Theater Poltergeist is making the rounds with forum members!
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/17/10 11:05 AM
Well, when I called Axiom to ask if they had received my message about the driver, JC told me he had already sent me an email telling me they were sending me a new driver (I didn't think to check my email for a reply)! Just another example of Axiom's great customer service. He told me they had received an order of drivers and that there were some bad ones among them.

The thing about this whole thing is when I finally admitted to myself that something was indeed wrong with the driver, I wasn't even worried about it! I knew Axiom would take care of it. It's a good feeling... and that - along with the amazing products they sell - is why I'm an Axiom lifer!
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/24/10 06:46 PM
Well got the driver, made the switch, and every thing is rice and curry again!! (How do you put the emoticons in the message?? You can picture a smiley face here! lol).

So I'm up and running.... just have to get the speaker wires all tucked away and everything will be great! I'm still not sure which route I wanna go with though:in ceiling or along the ceiling and hide with wiremold (probaby the latter).

now how do I ad pics to the message board?
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/24/10 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
In 2 channel mode on the 3808 you have to set the 2 channel speaker settings and in there you have to allow the sub to be LFE + Mains, if you desire to have the M80s as large otherwise set them to small then the LFE + Mains setting is moot as the receiver will default to sending the frequencies lower than the crossover to the sub regadless.

When you say crossover... is that on the denon? the lower I set the more the sub will take care of the bass?
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/24/10 08:59 PM
I never thought I'd ever say this... but I think the 800 overpowers the music! Me?? Saying it's too much bass??? wow... that's saying something! lol!

Actually I prefer the "thump" of M80s set to large than the rumble of the 800... I'm sure it's just a setting that I have to figure out, but for now I'll listen to music with mains set to large.

Is it best to set them to small when watching a movie? I like to listen to my movies and my music fairly loud... don't wanna damage the drivers on the m80s
Posted By: JohnK Re: V180 on the way! - 12/25/10 05:03 AM
No, Maj; the lower you set the crossover(in the receiver; the frequency control on the sub should be moved out of the way by setting it to its highest setting)the less that the sub has to do. A small setting for the mains with an 80Hz crossover is a good compromise number; 80Hz is high enough to take a significant amount of the low bass load off the mains and give it to the sub which handles it best, and low enough so that the sub isn't easily localizable.
Posted By: jakewash Re: V180 on the way! - 12/26/10 05:03 PM
Majik, since you say you like the thump the M80s give I would set them to small and the crosover to 40 hz this allows them to play that all important 50hz and up range that really makes that tight thump sound.
Posted By: grunt Re: V180 on the way! - 12/26/10 06:30 PM
Like Jason says I’ve always preferred to run my M80s with a lower than 80Hz crossover usually 40-50Hz depending on the room. I would worry about your 3808 not being able to power them unless you are listening above 105db or so depending on the distance to your speakers in which case you wont be enjoying your system for very much longer due to hearing loss.

You could also try repositioning your subwoofer which might help some. Though if your room is like mine I have room modes which cause a huge peak around 20Hz and similar dip around 40-50Hz so the mid bass thump gets sucked out of my EP500 and overpowered by the low bass rumble. Multiple subs may help your situation but didn’t mine so I had to resort to EQ. OTOH running your M80s with a lower crossover is less expensive and you already know it works in your room.
Posted By: onn Re: V180 on the way! - 12/26/10 08:01 PM
I have all my M80's and the VP180 all set at 40Hz. No problems yet.
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/28/10 04:33 PM
Thanks guys! appreciate all the input! I'll give everything a try and see what comes out of it...

Anybody know what happened to the axiom site the last couple of days?
Posted By: majik Re: V180 on the way! - 12/28/10 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: onn
I have all my M80's and the VP180 all set at 40Hz. No problems yet.

Holy Good Spank My Ass and Call Me Sally Batman!!! just took a look at your "system"... My Goodness!!! And I thought I was addicted! lol! I love it! Now when anyone makes a comment about me spending too much dineros on Axiom Speakers, I'm pulling up your pics!! LOVE IT!

One thing I didn't think of is using my 150 as a rear... oh well... it's too late now, already bought the surrounds.
© Axiom Message Boards