Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GTCS In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 09:45 PM
After lots of reading on this forum and some very helpful advice from members I’ve finally decided what speakers to get. Namely – M22’s for the L/R channels, M2 for the center, QS8’s for the surrounds. Will get a new sub at a later date (probably EP350 or EP500). I currently have a 12” sub but I’m sure it can be improved.

My last remaining decision is do I go for the full in-wall or the hybrid in-wall/on-wall. I don’t have the floor space for cabinet speakers and I don’t mind cutting holes and running wires so the on-wall’s aren’t necessary.

I’d greatly appreciate any feedback on in-wall vs. in-wall/on-wall. The application will be 90+ HT and as I say there will be a sub in the mix.
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 10:06 PM
I would go for the in/on wall going by the reports that they play a little smoother/deeper.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if anyone's done a comparo between the in walls and the in/ons. I know the comparos were done between the in/ons and the ons.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 10:28 PM
I haven't heard any one talk about the in-walls. I have the on wall M22's, and am somewhat disappointed in their sound as compared to the bookshelf M22. The in/on wall will probably sound much better. If you click on my link in sig line below, you'll see my current setup. Anytime you get away from the bigger box, you are going to run into compromises. I think I'd ask someone at Axiom which one would have the better sound.

I can't say whether Axiom's on-wall sounds better than anyone else's because I haven't heard one from a different manufacturer.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 11:55 PM
I agree with CatBrat on two points; it's very difficult to fully account for enclosure size, and you should CALL and ask the folks at Axiom. The inwall M22's look like a slightly bigger enclosure to me, which might help the bass extension somewhat.

Ultimately, aesthetics is also an issue. Personally, I kind of like the stealth of the inwalls, but I can see how someone would prefer the furniture-like presentation of the IW/OW.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/16/10 11:57 PM
OTOH, it's not clear to me how (if?) the inwall is ported. I believe there ARE ports on the bottom of the IW/OW version.
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/17/10 12:23 AM
Unless there is a hidden port on the front baffle I am not seeing with the in-walls they are not ported. The IW/OW are ported on the bottom as you said.
Posted By: cb919 Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/17/10 04:07 AM
I have not heard the full in walls, but I am VERY happy with my in/on walls and recommend them highly. However you will need a sub with them, but you know that already.
Posted By: GTCS Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Looks like the in-wall/on-wall's will have the best SQ of the two. Now I just have to decide on the finish smirk So many options.
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: GTCS
... So many options.
Only at Axiom can you say that wink My personal favorite is the HG Cherry, Cost no issue is the Rosewood HG. That reminds me I need to get to Mel's in the New Year smile
Posted By: bdpf Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 02:07 AM
Just to admire the beautiful finish of his setup...(sight...)
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 02:19 AM
And to have a longer listen to his full M80 system with dual EP800's smile
Posted By: bdpf Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 02:52 AM
Maybe I should just move to Alberta laugh
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall vs. In-wall/On-wall - 12/18/10 06:22 AM
The more the merrier
© Axiom Message Boards