Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik New receiver... - 12/28/10 04:49 PM
Okay... I think I wanna go bigger/stronger with a new sub that can push my setup... As some of you know, I have the 3808 and I'm wondering if I should get something else?

If I do, I'll probably want to stick with Denon as I have been impressed with their gear.

Any suggestions? I know someone mentioned buying two monoblock amps from outlaw audio but can't find the 200s anywhere in Canada. So if you have any suggestions let me know, because as you know I live way da hell up north and driving the 10hours for an audition in stores will happen, but I'd rather go with a ready-made list of ideas to check out.

Thanks.
Posted By: Wid Re: New receiver... - 12/28/10 05:27 PM

Get the Axiom A1400-8 amp.
Posted By: Adrian Re: New receiver... - 12/28/10 06:04 PM
Maybe a Pro Amp?
Posted By: jakewash Re: New receiver... - 12/28/10 10:48 PM
Outlaw has their multichannel amps on sale right now. I would recommend the 7200. If you only want the fron 3 run via seperate then get the 2200 monoblocks B stock when available. Otherwise spend some time looking on canuckaudiomart/Audiogon for some good brand name amps like the Outlaw or Bryston, Anthem, Parasound, Rotel etc.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New receiver... - 12/29/10 02:56 AM
Maj, the question should be if there's an actual technical reason to go "bigger/stronger". The answer is likely to be no, since the 3808 should have plenty of capacity to power those speakers at safe listening levels and beyond.

If, as you say, you want to stick with Denon, you won't be able to get anymore than a very small and audibly insignificant increase in maximum power capacity.
Posted By: majik Re: New receiver... - 12/30/10 04:25 PM
@ John - Really? hmmm... I guess what I'm worried about is those times that I "Pump Up the Volume" for long periods of time (say for a party, or when I'm doing my 'top to bottom' house cleaning); the 3808 gets really hot when I do that and I'm afraid it'll cause a problem (although I have no idea what problems can be caused by that - I'll have to google).

Would the outlaw amps be the way to go then (would it help as a precautionary measure)?
© Axiom Message Boards