Axiom Home Page
Hi all,

I would like to mount a QS4 on my telepost cover. I know I could use the Full Metal Bracket, but I would rather have it mount flush.

Problem is, only the center part of the bracket would be screwed into the telepost - the arms of the T bracket would not be screwed to anything as they would overhang the telepost cover.

I know the QS4 attaches to the bracket on either arm of the T. I am wondering if the T will support the speaker even if the arms are not fastened to a wall.

Assuming this would be fine for the QS4's, would the QS8s work as well, or would that maybe getting too heavy?

Make a wooden "plaque" large enough to span the T-bracket, screw it to the post, then mount your T-bracket/QS on top of that. You can paint or stain the plaque to match either the post or the speaker itself, whichever you prefer. The "ears" on the T-bracket are a too flimsy without a couple of screws on the outside to supprt them otherwise.
Ya, I was thinking of doing something like that. Was just hoping I wouldn't have to.

thanks.
Make the arms the same size as the T, then you wouldn't see them.
I would most likely try them as is and go from there. Once the center of the T is well anchored I think the arms will be OK.
^I might just do that when the time comes. Not sure if I want to move my surrounds off of the back wall and put them on the sides (one wall, one telepost) or just leave as is and when I go 7.1 put the new ones on the side.

Thanks again for the demo today Jason.

Darren.
You are most welcome.

I remembered why I couldn't get the DTS -HD soundtrack, I had done the firmware update but never went back into the settings to reset the audio on the player to bitstream and not PCM. I now have a new router as well and things are working better now smile
Ha. Glad you got it figured out and it was nothing more serious.
I secetly wished it was the 3808 so I could justify buying a new avr/separates wink
I disagree with Jason--those arms will bend if they're at least not partially connected to something solid.
Instead of a whole plaque behind the speaker, why not just create two roughly triangular wooden shims the width of the t-bracket arms. The angles of the shim would fill in the gap between where the t-bracket sticks out and the telepost cover.
Predrill it and paint it black. Then use a screw long enough to secure the t-bracket arms all the way to the telepost cover. The arms would be nice and solid and the small shims would just look like part of the t-bracket mounting hardware.
Yes, I have a few options I if just the T bracket alone does not work.

I know that the arms are flimsy, but isn't that more if you are flexing back and forth? Surely by nature of the 'T' design, they wouldn't really flex much up or down - with down being the force the attached speaker would apply??

Either way, I will give it a try. If it doesn't work, I can come up with some sort of a mount.
I'm thinking back and forth, but with sliding out of the tabs. I'm not sure how the breakage mechanism would work, but the idea makes me uncomfortable.
I wouldn't chance it. The bracket needs support at/near the ends, imo, esp if you turn your system up to e-le-ven and there's any vibrations from the sub.
^Ya. Maybe you guys are right. Once I get them, I will have a better sense. Think I am just going to leave my qs4's on the back wall for now (as 5.1).

When the time comes, I will put either qs4 or qs8 on the sides (as per this post) and change those to be 5.1 and the back wall 7.1.
Without seeing the entire looks of the telepost and how this idea would work but I'd consider boxing in the telepost from floor to ceiling to at least the width of the QS8 and mount the 'T' bracket accordingly. It would certainly look better than having any portion of a back board or the speaker with the bracket hanging beyond the sides of the telepost.

Just exactly what is a 'telepost' anyway?
Originally Posted By: RickF

I think it's a payphone that accepts postage stamps as payment instead of coins.
Without seeing the entire looks of the telepost and how this idea would work but I'd consider boxing in the telepost from floor to ceiling to at least the width of the QS8 and mount the 'T' bracket accordingly. It would certainly look better than having any portion of a back board or the speaker with the bracket hanging beyond the sides of the telepost.

Think they may also be referred to as jackposts.

Telepost:

"A metal, upright, vertically adjustable supporting member, circular in shape, attached to a structural beam and used to level floor joists to a horizontal position."

Basically a metal pole in a basement that is used to support joists that span a long distance. If you are lucky, you can incorporate all of them in to the walls when you develop. If you are unlucky like me, you either put a telepost cover on them or box them in with on your own.

I put a telepost cover on it (as per the picture) instead of framing it in. Much easier.

There will only be about 1.5 inches of overhang on either side. Should look fine.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

I think it's a payphone that accepts postage stamps as payment instead of coins.

haha. ha.
OK ... now, what exactly is a 'basement'? confused

smile
Quote:
what exactly is a 'basement'?

For you, a sink hole lined with cinder blocks! grin
Originally Posted By: merchman
Quote:

It's where us in the midwest go when a tornado is close.
Let me guess the next question, "What is a tornado?"
Originally Posted By: GTZ
Originally Posted By: merchman
Quote:

It's where us in the midwest go when a tornado is close.
Let me guess the next question, "What is a tornado?"

Being raised in south central Oklahoma as a wee youngster I have a pretty good idea of what a tornado is.
I don't know about tornados, but what about a Toronado?

455 Rocket with a four barrel carb. I can see the gas gauge go from full to empty fast, just like the good old days! cry
My first transmission rebuild I did was from a Toronado.
© Axiom Message Boards