Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bdpf Does circuit city carry SPL meters in Canada ? - 02/11/11 02:51 PM
Since there is no more RadioShack, I was just wondering. There is none on their website so where can I buy one?
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/cables-acc...4490808e15c6d2e
NO more RS, must just be in Canada. smile
Yeah, its complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_by_Circuit_City
Thanks.
Try a local music store. I picked one up at Long an McQuaid (sp?)
I'll sell you mine for a thousand bucks.
I would look at getting a Galaxy from here. This way you can run REW with a calibrated meter.
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I'll sell you mine for a thousand bucks.
laugh

Mine for $999 with shipping included grin !
No fair, u have a shorter distance to ship. I can't compete with you.
$500 for mine. Free shipping.
Or, just order one.

Sorry guys.
SPL Meter CM-140 vs RS Analog

Purchase through Canada Post
Will Radio shack ship to Canada?

If not maybe someone state side can buy it and ship it to you for the cost of the unit + shipping?
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I would look at getting a Galaxy from here. This way you can run REW with a calibrated meter.

On the REW website they mention that a RS meter is adequate. My assumption was that they know the frequency response of the meter and compensate for it. Why is the RS meter not good if I want to use REW?
There's an app for that!
You can use the Radio Shack meter along with the calibrated files for REW but it is still off by a large amount(5-10db) at the higher frequencies 3-5K and up according to some of the posts at the REW web pages. Apparently the RS mic is too large to handle the higher frequencies properly. I think it is good enough for most of us, if I didn't already have the RS meter I would go with the calibrated Galaxy for a more accurate reading.
How about the low frequencies. I would eventually use it just to check the frequency response of a sub so I can check differente placements in my room. I read that the frequency response of the RS meter is only good from 32Hz up. Does it mean that anything lower read by REW (let's say 15-32Hz) will not be accurate or will it compensate for that and I can trust the reading?
It would be close enough to be able to give you a reasonable reading with the calibration files in use, after all we are just looking for the flatest/smoothest reading so it doesn't have to be terribly acurrate.
Thanks Jason.
© Axiom Message Boards