Axiom Home Page
Posted By: B58FURY Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 06:37 PM
Hi folks,

I'm considering a new amp and was intrigued by some of the Chinese tube models on the market.

My current setup (used for near field listening at my computer mostly) :

Axiom M22 v3 bookshelf speakers (93 DB, 10-200 watt)

Paradigm DSP-3100 10" powered subwoofer

Marantz SR3001 60w amp (low-end Home theater amp I bought cheap)

iMac 27" via Toslink optical

In a 22x11x7.5 ' room, I sit in one corner with speakers at ear height next to the iMac - 3ft away, 30" apart toed in towards me, low to moderate volume.

Most of my music is rock & electronica with a smattering of acoustic guitar & bluegrass in Apple Lossless format. I especially love twangy surf & rockabilly guitar sound also, so the idea of a tube amp is appealing if you think it would be a good match.

If so, what tube family ?

Brands/models to consider ?

What is acceptable Signal/Noise ratio and THD % for this music & environment ?

Which DAC & other assorted accessories ?

I'd like to keep this below $2500, but would go higher for exceptional performance.

Also, getting a headphone output off the amp would be a huge plus if SQ is very good, otherwise off the DAC or a separate HF amp.

Thank you in advance for your sage advice.

Mike in CT
Posted By: Wid Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 06:50 PM

Have you looked at Pacific Valve
Posted By: B58FURY Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 07:07 PM
Hi Rick,

Yes, I have - the Ming Da MC 34 models in 34-EL & KT-88 flavors were interesting. What about the 845 & 300B amps though ?

I've also looked at Jolida, Yaqin & the Grant Fidelity lineup - just wanted to get some end-user feedback.

Mike
Posted By: Wid Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 07:17 PM

Never used one, solid state (Rotel) here.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 07:19 PM
I own two tube amps. Both are American made. The Chinese amps are a good value but what kind of parts did they use and how well were they manufactured.

I can wholeheartedly reccomend a Manley Stingray (used). It would be perfect. Downside is it exspensive when you buy new tubes (10 of them).

I would also reccomend a Decware Mini Torii.

The Glow Amp One is a neat little Chinese amp.

Tubes are a lot of fun.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/19/11 10:00 PM
I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for Grant Fidelity tube amps. wink
Posted By: JohnK Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/20/11 03:20 AM
Mike, welcome. My(I hope)"sage advice", even if it isn't what you want to hear, is that considering spending that much money on a technologically obsolescent device such as a tube amplifier isn't a productive use of your resources. This wouldn't differ in any audibly meaningful way for "twangy surf & rockabilly guitar".

My thoughts are that you'd be better served with placing surrounds(even with your near-field setup)to more fully enjoy that music. A pair of QS4s would work very well. A more up-to-date HT receiver would also appear to be more appropriate.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/21/11 12:55 PM
I have heard the Jolida 302B with M60s and they sound great together. I would also second the opinion on the Stingray as a fine choice as well. The Jolida can be found for $500-600 used on Audiogon or around $1,100 new (approx.). The Stingray varies from $1,100 - 1,500 used. I have not heard the Ming Da but I like the EL34 based amps in general. Rogue also makes some very nice amps.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/23/11 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for Grant Fidelity tube amps. wink

glowing reviews... ouch. wink

I don't know a thing about larger tube amps, but I do love my Little Dot MKII headphone amp. I've had it for several years and I have nothing but praise for it. If you go the route of needing a dedicated headphone amp, it gets my vote.

And on a personal note to the OP, I see you're new here. Welcome! Be advised that there are definitely a few camps here regarding amplification and sound quality. Some say it absolutely makes a difference, some say not at all, some say 'maybe'. wink We tend to keep it civil, but I'm sure you'll get a few more posts encouraging you to abandon your desire to buy a tube amp. I'm not saying you should or should not take anyone's advice, just that be prepared for a difference of opinion.

But again, welcome! smile
Posted By: B58FURY Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/24/11 02:18 AM
Hi folks,

After reading stellar reviews and talking to Decware's Steve Deckert (reading his body of work and listening to his engineering philosophy have me convinced he's a genius) I ordered a Mini Torii (thanks Lampshade!). Like our beloved Axiom, he offers a 30 day trial - not to mention a lifetime warranty - all for considerably less than I was expecting to pay. So the journey continues.....onto the next post.

Mike in CT
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/24/11 02:28 AM
You are going to have so much fun. I truly hope you love it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/24/11 02:38 AM
Very nice, Mike! Please let us know what you think of the Decware Mini Torii. That is a good looking amp. I've not had the pleasure of listening to a single ended tube amp, yet.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube Amp advice requested - 02/24/11 02:45 AM
SET tube amps are loved and hated.

I am SYSYGY on the Decware forum.
© Axiom Message Boards