Axiom Home Page
Posted By: theskins denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 04:13 AM
well after about 8 months of use, denon avr 990 overheated and went into protection mode(after about 8 hrs with all 7 channels @ near ref. volume and then about 1-2hr @ ref. followed by 20 mins of +5-+10 above ref.vol. with all channel driven. crazy superbowl party or maybe it was that horrible 1/2 time show) ....which i was not able to reset...lost display on front panel and all sound..
unit has been sent in for repair. i have axiom epic 80 less sub(velo 15") plus 2 more QS 8` for front heights in a 4000-4500 cu ft room....i do like to turn it up above ref. usually +5 or so on weekends for short times never had a problem...but i did just add heights(back in dec 2010) from 5.1.So with these 2 additional channels should i look @ adding a 2 ch. poweramp for the m80`s?anybody else using a 2 ch. power amp and how did it effect your sound(2.1 music and 5.1,7.1 )?headroom?any input/advice would help...thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Posted By: JohnK Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 04:51 AM
You're damaging your hearing with those absurdly loud volume levels that you described, and instead of taking the warning that the 990 gave you and turning it down a bit, you're looking for another amplifier?
Posted By: Argon Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 12:20 PM
Are you sure the amp overheated? I would have thought the Cops would have shut it down after....say.....3 hours?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 03:19 PM
Did you ever try to turn the receiver back after letting it cool when it went into protect mode?

You have a huge room which is up to 4500cu/ft. You are asking a lot of that receiver and I am not surprised you were able to shut it down. BTW if you are listening at reference level in that massive room, you won't have any headroom for dynamic peaks in Blu-ray movie soundstracks and are at risking of not only shutting down the receiver but also potentially clipping your speakers. Superbowl audio is not even demanding content.
Posted By: bdpf Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 03:31 PM
In this huge room and these crazy volumes, you should definitely look at external amps and maybe for more than 2 ch. The typical contenders for relatively low cost amps are offerings from Emotiva (XPA2, XPA5) and Outlaw (monoblocks).
Enjoy your speakers wile you can cause pretty soon you won't be able to listen to them wink
Posted By: theskins Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 03:40 PM
yes i tried everything form unplugging unit,all cables removed,micro. reset and also network reset... nothing so unit sent in for repair/replacement
i think you may be right>>>> lack of headroom @ ref. may be the problem ..that and too many beers, in a larger room than this avr is designed for???unit was @ ref or below for superbowl itself,it was post game with some dvd concerts that done it...that and +5 or so above ref.....so will a 2 channel power amp do anything for headroom?? before i do any more damage to my hearing...
and keep in mind it is rare i do go above ref but @ ref i feel i am missing something(i should have paid the extra for the 4310 or 4810)
Posted By: bdpf Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 03:50 PM
The 4310 or 4810 would have given you features. If you want power, you need an amp.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 05:47 PM
I would recommend getting at least a 2 channel amp or a pair of monoblocks for the M80's as bdpf suggested. If you have the VP180 I would also suggest that be used with an external amp.
Posted By: Adrian Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: theskins
(i should have paid the extra for the 4310 or 4810)
The extra 10-20 watts wouldn't make any difference. You need an external amp at these kind of levels.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 09:08 PM
reference is when the dial would be around 0, sounds like your playing it beyond that limit into clipping.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 09:13 PM
Coming from someone that has lost a lot, I hope you seriously considered John's advice first.

Sure, I have an external amp, but I don't listen at the volumes you do.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, and I'm not discrediting other people's opinions. But just as I would discourage a friend or family member to listen at the levels you are, I have a moral obligation to do the same to you.

It obviously your choice, but given the possible harm, it's one that merits some serious reconsideration.

Peace, buddy.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 09:16 PM
I like to crank things up, and you all know I like beer and wine, but dang I like to enjoy the game and my company. Maybe I'm just getting old. smile
Posted By: medic8r Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 09:29 PM
"You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older."

They Might Be Giants
Posted By: SirQuack Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 09:34 PM
crap I'm older than my last post...older.....older....older yet...super man please slow down the earth.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 10:07 PM
Superman didn't make the Earth spin backward. He was flying faster than the speed of light, and thus traveling backward in time. As time reversed the Earth naturally did too.

He was circling the Earth, just out of convenience. He could have flow faster than the speed of light in any direction, but it would have been a waste to go anywhere else.
Posted By: medic8r Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 10:13 PM
We stand corrected, Sheldon.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/25/11 10:29 PM
Reeeeet cooooooonnnnnnnnn
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 03:49 AM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Superman didn't make the Earth spin backward. He was flying faster than the speed of light, and thus traveling backward in time. As time reversed the Earth naturally did too.

He was circling the Earth, just out of convenience. He could have flow faster than the speed of light in any direction, but it would have been a waste to go anywhere else.

Plus, it wouldn't have been dramatic if he was just flying around his apartment really fast.
Posted By: CV Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 05:18 AM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

I'm not sure about that. It seems like it would be a lot easier to travel faster than the speed of light in a straight line instead of in a curve. He should have shot straight out somewhere, then straight back. Unless you meant it was out of convenience for the filmmakers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 05:54 AM
Straight out and back is a difficult thing to calculate. The earth would be in a different place in its orbit.
Posted By: CV Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 05:56 AM
I don't see how going back in time while flying around it would be any easier?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 05:58 AM
You'd think so, but all Superman would need to do is keep a constant orbit height. With that eyesight, it wouldn't be too hard.
Posted By: CV Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 05:58 AM
Eyesight doesn't really work at faster than light, though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 06:02 AM
He added in a regular infinitesimally small slow blips in his orbits so he could keep track of how far back in time he was going so he'd be able to stop at the right moment.

This is basic stuff, man.
Posted By: CV Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 06:05 AM
All that while being super-emotionally-motivated? He really is an alien.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 06:15 AM
If he put his Android phone in his tights and downloaded a GPS app, he'd be fine.
Posted By: CV Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 06:27 AM
That's a great ad for Google Earth.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 07:31 AM
GPS actually works because of the speed of light, and time stamps. I would guess that it would issues in this usage case.
Posted By: J. B. Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/26/11 12:09 PM
this is good reading, specially as i just woke up.
keep on going.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/27/11 08:33 PM

Posted By: BobKay Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 02/27/11 09:00 PM
That was uncalled for. Now I'm creeped out for the rest of the day. I must admit that I watched the popcorn trajectory a dozen times before I could look away.
Posted By: speedbump Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/03/11 09:17 PM
I was always hung up on how he could fly faster than the speed of light to turn back time yet (according to Lex Luthor) he wasn't fast enough to catch the missiles and save Lois, which should have been much easier.
Posted By: fredk Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 03:15 AM
Superman's little known vulnerability: Plot inconsistencies.
Posted By: Adrian Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 04:21 AM
Listen, if Superman could really fly that fast, wouldn't he have like major hair loss? or at least an advanced receding hairline?
Posted By: SBrown Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 06:20 AM
Not with super uber folicles.
Posted By: BobKay Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 06:29 PM
It was proabaly just a toupe held with advanced technology polymer adhesives, like Fred's.
Posted By: medic8r Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 09:19 PM
laugh laugh
Posted By: Adrian Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/04/11 09:44 PM
You'd think he could get a few more mph with a shaved cranium though.
Posted By: fredk Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/05/11 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
You'd think he could get a few more mph with a shaved cranium though.

Lex took that look first.
Posted By: fredk Re: denon avr overheated!!!!!!! - 03/05/11 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
It was proabaly just a toupe held with advanced technology polymer adhesives, like Fred's.

You've been talking to my daughter haven't you. Its real, its mine and I'm NOT going bald. Just thinning a little...
© Axiom Message Boards