Axiom Home Page
The room is about 16X28, but the wall the equipment sits on, has the door opening into the room. So that cuts the wall space down to about 13 feet or so. My standard starting place would be about a foot off the back wall, and for the speaker that is close to the sidewall...would be about a foot off the sidewall. So there is about 10 feet between the speakers.
This is a basement with a droped ceiling at about 7 1/2 feet high, cheap carpet sitting over concrete..stock basement stuff.

Is there any recomended starting point, or is it up for grabs?
Try not to let the distance from the wall behind the speakers be a multiple of (or the same as) the distance to the side walls.

Generally they should be as far apart as they are away from the listening position. So you and the two speakers form an equilateral triangle.

A little toe-in will improve focus, while less will widen the sound stage. Toe to suit your taste.
OK..i figured the one speaker had to be at least 1 foot off the sidewall. I can start, with the speakers 6" off the back wall..then just bring them out. I'm not sure what the back ports do...closer in..more bass? I would fire them strait into the room as i would like sound stage..more then a focal point.

I'm also thinking of not putting any feet on them at all. The carpet is kind of like indoor/outdoor stuff..thin with a pad. Not much there....just let them sit flat on the floor or concrete..as thats whats under the carpet.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the feet.

No substitute for experimenting in your room. I don't know that anyone can give you absolutes about any of this. The distance from the ports to the back wall isn't really critical as long as they can breathe (so, like 2" minimum). The bass reinforcement is going to come from modifying the distance between the bass drivers and the adjacent surfaces. So, yes, moving them in and out from the wall will matter, but not because of the ports.
Thanks Tom...I'll start them off with 6" then...move them out if needed...No feet.
Right now i'm just waiting for a set to show up in the action..B Stock stuff. Don't car about a stratch or two..just want the sound. Plus the better price...LOL
Bob, the first point is that in giving distances from room surfaces the relevant number is the distance from the center of the woofer cones(not the enclosure)to the surfaces. As Chris points out, it's desirable to have the distances from the three surfaces(walls and floor)unequal, so that reflections from them don't pile up at the same frequencies.

As long as the ports have at least a few inches of "breathing room", they can be placed as desired. Separation should be about as much as your distance from them, with enough toe-in so that the tweeters point at your ears.
I would just use the rubber feet the speakers come with.
© Axiom Message Boards