Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HTGEEK Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 12:28 AM
I was just curious to see if anybody on here uses one of the new Anthem MRX receivers to power their Axioms. If so, what did you replace with the Anthem and do you feel it was a good jump?

Currently, I have a Denon 4810 paired with an Emotiva XPA-3. My front speakers are the M80's and my center is the VP-180. I am going to be switching to the MRX-500 tomorrow....
Posted By: bdpf Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 01:06 AM
No experience with Anthem but curious to hear your impressions.
Posted By: Pitbull24 Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 01:24 AM
If you don't mind, why the change? Your current set up would seem to be more than adequate.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 01:31 AM
Jeff, that proposed switch is rather puzzling. Your use of the term "jump" implies that you're thinking that the MRX-500 might be somehow an upgrade over what you have now. Even considering the 4810 alone however, without taking the XPA-3 into account, it would appear to be slightly superior to the MRX-500. The next model up, the MRX-700, was tested last month by Sound&Vision with the results shown here . Reading the report indicated that it was a typically fine modern HT receiver, if perhaps a bit overpriced in comparison to similar Denon and Onkyo models. If one was offered a choice between the 4810 and MRX-500 it would appear that grabbing the 4810 would be the way to go.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 02:10 AM
Jeff, PTPlayers has an MRX 500 as shown in his setup here in the Gallery.

Maybe send him a PM.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 03:08 AM
I am also curious why the switch?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 03:58 AM
I use an Anthem PVA-5 amplifier with a pair of M60 like Michaura M665s, a VP-150 and a pair of Mission 77DS surround speakers.

They all play very well together.
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:59 AM
I had an opportunity to hear the Anthem side by side with the same Denon I have. The biggest difference I could hear was in the dialog. Using the Anthem really opened up my front soundstage and Anthem's ARC was recommended to me because of my room setup.

The Denon actually has more features than I really need at this point or will need, IMO.

I have chatted with the other known Axiom/Anthem owner on here about how he likes his setup..
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 10:42 AM
Hope it works out for you. If your Denon has Audyssey, it should be a few steps up from the ARC technology.
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 06:45 PM
My 4810 does have Audyssey and I have had it calibrated using it. It just doesn't see to sound the way I would like it, so I am hoping the ARC will improve things...
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:05 PM
Rather than a different EQ, room treatments may be the way to go in order to achieve a more desirable sound.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:13 PM

Try and calibrate it manually, I don't like what Audyssey does to my system.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Wid

Try and calibrate it manually, I don't like what Audyssey does to my system.

I concur, I just postulated that he already did.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:28 PM

I concur that you concur.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/13/11 09:46 PM
CONCURRENCE YEAH grin smile !
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 03:00 AM
Audyssey does suck if not run correctly.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 03:31 AM
Matter of opinion... I haven't heard it, so I'm keeping my opinions open.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 04:25 AM
The fly on your opinion is down, Ken.
Posted By: CV Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 04:41 AM
His opinions usually are really out there, huh?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 05:21 AM
Yes, but Ken has been banned from riding on the bus now.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/14/11 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
The fly on your opinion is down, Ken.

Originally Posted By: CV
His opinions usually are really out there, huh?

He always has a lax opinion.
Posted By: Murph Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/17/11 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: sirquack
Audyssey does suck if not run correctly.

While your quote is undeniably true as most things do indeed suck if not done correctly, I also fall into the category of not preferring the results of Audyssey in my particular listening environment. I currently use it to recalibrate db levels and occasionally I get curious enough to let it do it's EQ calculations but after a few days of leaving it on to see if I just need to get used to it, I always end up turning the resulting EQ settings off again.

Preference is subjective by definition.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/17/11 03:30 PM
I'm finding nirvana in doing my own eq adjustments moreso than eq off or Pioneer MCACC findings. I doubt I'll find a perfect level settings, but it sounds more alive and clear now. Sometimes a bit too much high end, but I make adjustments ever so slowly until I find something that sounds better.
Posted By: Murph Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/17/11 03:38 PM
I avoid the temptation to do this as I know I would instantly fall into the trap of forever tweaking, never being satisfied and eternally wondering exactly how I "had it set up that last time just before I ruined it."

Luckily, modern receivers are a pain to play with manual EQ settings as it's generally berried in the menus so it helps me avoid the temptation. If I had a completely manual equalizer (sliders) I'm sure I'd be ready for committal by now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/17/11 04:38 PM
In the good ole days, I had a Soundcraftsmen 10 band per channel pre-amp/equalizer that I just loved to play with (adjust/readjust ad infinium). But I loved it. I wish modern receivers had something similar, like a seperate remote add on with the sliding switches that changed the sound in real-time.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/17/11 09:47 PM
Problem with those is that they tend to add noise and GET noisier over time...

Of course, that doesn't mean they could bring it "up three levels" in the menus....
Posted By: Murph Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/18/11 01:59 PM
Real time, Touch screen sliders on the front panel.... Everything stays digital, no static added.

Why can't I have been blessed with the capital to build stuff I dream up.

Axiom.... Build it. Sell it. Profit. I only ask for free speakers.

and beer.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/18/11 02:06 PM
I'd prefer sliders on a remote since my receiver is in a different room. Not a lot to gain for me to have them on the front of the receiver.
Posted By: Murph Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/18/11 02:38 PM
Agreed, but leave the touch interface on the front of the amp as well. I'm a sucker for glowing blue lights.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/23/11 01:06 AM
Well, considering he was getting the Anthem the next day and that was 5 days ago. ...... I would be very interested in what his thoughts were.
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/24/11 11:20 AM
I had a delay in picking up my Anthem due to work and some personal stuff going on. Decided to go with the MRX-300 since it will be paired with my Emotiva XPA-3. If all goes well, I will be picking it up today. smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 05/29/11 04:49 PM
Soooooooooo....................
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/14/11 11:02 PM
WOW!!

The Anthem paired with the XPA-3 plus running ARC has REALLY opened up my front soundstage. Don't think I will ever have the desire to go back to another Denon product. Considering I have owned about 5 Denon receivers in the past 8 years, that is saying a lot.

I would HIGHLY recommend other folks take a hard look at the Anthem receivers, especially with the 180 and M80s...

My only complaint was the lack of dual HDMI outputs since I have a projector and plasma. I purchased a powered splitter so it solved that problem.

Anthem doesn't add a a whole lot of bells and whistles...but they make a great sound producer.
Posted By: billy p Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 03:23 AM
Hum...I asked a very well respected member on another forum about the new Anthem Avr using their ARC processing? He flat out told me ...he can't understand how a small Canadian owned company can afford the money and commitment in RD and employing the several engineers, most with PHD no less to really suceed in this kind of venture. He'll take Audyssey's labs processing who have put in years and have spend millions in product research and development...but he did say he really loves his Anthem amp FWIW.

Just saying...Bill
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: billy p
Hum...I asked a very well respected member on another forum about the new Anthem Avr using their ARC processing? He flat out told me ...he can't understand how a small Canadian owned company can afford the money and commitment in RD and employing the several engineers, most with PHD no less to really suceed in this kind of venture.

Probably because he's ignorant of the reality.
Sonic Frontiers/Paradigm/Anthem is not a 'small' company unless you are trying to compare it to the likes of Sony, and has been around for decades now.
See the excerpt on company history at the bottom of this pdf outdated now, but released in 2001.
http://archive.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/pva7press.pdf

There are much smaller companies in audio selling far more pricey boutique electronics and surviving.
It sounds more to me like this respected forum member already has their opinion (a negative one) of Anthem's AVR and can't personally understand why they are successful when obviously droves of other people think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
(no, i do not own an Anthem AVR)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 04:12 AM
Does that guy realize Anthem is owned by Paradigm, ya real hard to figure out how they can afford all that R&D.
Posted By: billy p Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 04:34 AM
I did state that he owns Anthem products and in particular the MCA 20. I asked him specifically about it because I'm thinking about buying one ... wink. ARC...is still relatively new and judging by some of the comments creeping up over at AVS they're still working out some of the kinks with plenty of firmware updates...again...

Just saying... smile
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 05:33 AM
looking for a generally positive opinion of anything on AVS is fruitless.
Posted By: billy p Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
looking for a generally positive opinion of anything on AVS is fruitless.

Agreed...but there is some valuable infromation being shared daily...I usually stick to owners threads and look for relevent topics within those threads.

Bill
Posted By: casey01 Re: Anthem Receivers powering Axioms? - 06/15/11 04:08 PM
Here again, I would concur with all that this particular person questioning the capabilities of Anthem just doesn't understand the history of the company. Paradigm has over 300 dealers in the US alone. When Paradigm purchased Sonic Frontiers, they were already a well established yet, relatively small "audiophile" company offering "high end" electronics so the equipment that evolved out of it after the purchase such as the Pre-Pros and amps were just a natural progression. Paradigm, of course, was a bigger company with deeper pockets, who could move things along to the next level. You might want to check out their HO in N. Mississauga, it isn't exactly what one would call a "hole-in-the-wall" establishment.

I am sure that if Ian and the guys at Axiom thought that in years past that the purchase of such a company as Sonic Frontiers or any other similar organization would have been in their best interest and expand their product line, they would have done so. I may be wrong but I would think these very expensive "boutique" lines would be more difficult to sell within a company that has committed itself to selling its products strictly over the internet. The problem is nowadays and probably because of the perennially weak US economy, there has been a lot of consolidation in the CE industry. I gather everyone in the business is watching their pennies.
© Axiom Message Boards