Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiroh M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/18/11 06:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've had my setup for quite some time and I'm really happy with it. I'm driving my m80ti's with a Denon avr-3808 giving upwards of 130w a piece. I can go really loud with the watts from the 3808 but I'm wondering will I get better sound quality if I get two outlaw audio monoblocks for the m80s? What kind of internal amp is Denon using? Is it class d or class ab technology?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/18/11 06:22 PM
You're going to get opinions on both sides.

There's no way to know without using your ears in your room. Even then, the power of suggestion is likely to make you perceive differences that may not be measurable.

If it will make you happy to buy the amps, do so.
Posted By: michael_d Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/18/11 08:13 PM
I added some external amps to my 3808. I do not have a golden ear like some of the fanatics out there, but I think I can detect differences with reason and rational thought verses an emotional response. The amps did nothing for improving, or degrading sound quality, per say. Where I did notice an improvement, is with dynamic range at reference level. Having said that, I would not recommend anyone spend the money on amps with this particular AVR. I think you could spend that money elsewhere to improve quality of life (like a kegerator).
Posted By: Wid Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/18/11 08:55 PM

Hey Spiroh, nice to hear from ya.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/19/11 01:43 AM

I'd say I agree with michael_d as to my experience adding Outlaw monoblocks to my 3805. I also noticed a little more bass as volume increased, but it wouldn't be something you'd hear with a sub. It is cleaner at high volumes (100db +) IMO, something I rarely do, but fun to show off on those occasions when it's appropriate. smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/19/11 02:03 AM
Spiroh, the question revolves entirely around playback volume. There's no magic that comes into play when the amplification process takes place in two or three boxes rather than one. If the amplification takes place with level frequency response and inaudibly low noise and distortion within the designed power limits(which your 3808 certainly does)nothing better than this is possible, regardless of price.

As with nearly all receivers, the Denons are class AB amplifiers.

Since you say that you can go "really loud", you can't get better sound by spending money on something that has no benefit at those levels, but could just go even louder(possibly at levels permanently damaging to your hearing).
Posted By: spiroh Re: M80ti + Denon or external amp? - 07/19/11 02:15 AM
Thanks for the helpful responses. I will stand pat as I'm happy with what I can do with the denon, only just wondering if I was missing something but it doesn't sound that I am. Wid, it's been years bud. Good to see you on here still.
© Axiom Message Boards